Blowout Cards Forums
Shop for NFL Draft Class of 2014 Nike Jerseys and New Era Draft Caps at NFLShop.com

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Seeking input: ______ is to soccer, as Bowman Chrome is to baseball.

I'm a former three-sport athlete that has narrow-mindedly invested 100% of my card collecting experience into baseball. While I keep up with soccer games, players, leagues, and stats; I am looking to begin investing a small portion of my time and energy in beginning to collect the sport, as well. It continues to be the sport I enjoy playing more than any other (although my age is catching up with me), and I'm motivated to bring myself closer to the game.

Primarily, Bowman Chrome is what keeps me interested in baseball; it's not JUST about the prospects for me, but it's a tried and true product that consistently offers up and coming guys.

To start, I'd like to focus on the MLS, and I'm wondering; what's the equivalent, if one exists? For example; I'd like to first get my hands on a Matt Besler auto... What product am I looking for, and what products are regarded on a higher tier than others?

Also, if you are versed; which products are the primary focus for an avid BGS guy?

All input is greatly appreciated.

My bucket --- http://s819.photobucket.com/user/TBCCS/library/
mattyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyflex View Post
I'm a former three-sport athlete that has narrow-mindedly invested 100% of my card collecting experience into baseball. While I keep up with soccer games, players, leagues, and stats; I am looking to begin investing a small portion of my time and energy in beginning to collect the sport, as well. It continues to be the sport I enjoy playing more than any other (although my age is catching up with me), and I'm motivated to bring myself closer to the game.

Primarily, Bowman Chrome is what keeps me interested in baseball; it's not JUST about the prospects for me, but it's a tried and true product that consistently offers up and coming guys.

To start, I'd like to focus on the MLS, and I'm wondering; what's the equivalent, if one exists? For example; I'd like to first get my hands on a Matt Besler auto... What product am I looking for, and what products are regarded on a higher tier than others?

Also, if you are versed; which products are the primary focus for an avid BGS guy?

All input is greatly appreciated.
Looking forward to seeing what the debut Topps MLS Chrome has to offer this August.
djcuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey, that's like.... Friday!

So are we looking at a rookie class for it's debut; as in, will it align with TC baseball/football? I swear, over the last two hours I have developed an obsession in understanding this avenue of collecting. Made my first purchase, too; picking up a 2014 MLS Besler auto.

The fever is strong with this one, fellas.

Old 07-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

There's also a Topps Bundesliga Chrome but that's primarily available in the German market.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am quickly gathering that there is no organized front, in terms of representing a large populous of soccer players; which also explains why Prizm was so widely popular for a moment there.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Nothing, since soccer card collectors don't care about rookies.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

mls chrome looks ugly.....
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

I think Panini Prizm World Cup was the birth of much more soccer to come. Topps has tried with MLS but no one really cares about that so we will see how chrome does. They also did the EPL gold which they are doing again. Unless they step it up to mimic Prizm World Cup i think it'll flop again as the cards just looked so boring and lame. This is someone who likes clean simple cards too! I think with Prizm World Cup they had just enough flair. If topps can do a chrome EPL similar to prizm BUT with ON CARD autos. it would sell like crazy.
foreverLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverLFC View Post
I think Panini Prizm World Cup was the birth of much more soccer to come. Topps has tried with MLS but no one really cares about that so we will see how chrome does. They also did the EPL gold which they are doing again. Unless they step it up to mimic Prizm World Cup i think it'll flop again as the cards just looked so boring and lame. This is someone who likes clean simple cards too! I think with Prizm World Cup they had just enough flair. If topps can do a chrome EPL similar to prizm BUT with ON CARD autos. it would sell like crazy.
I would buy a lot of this hypothetical product, especially if they incorporated Bundesliga (my preferred league) into it.
fezziwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
I would buy a lot of this hypothetical product, especially if they incorporated Bundesliga (my preferred league) into it.
Ligue1 for me, I'd love to have an Ibra auto

Supercollecting 13/14 PBev Preferred autos

nooope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfw13 View Post
Nothing, since soccer card collectors don't care about rookies.
This is starting to change though.

Five years ago I picked up Messi's 2004-05 Panini MegaCracks rookie (his rarest RC) for under $20 and it's now a three figure card. Many more soccer card collectors are slowly becoming aware of the whole rookie card concept.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yeah, it just won't happen. The different leagues will make licensing too tough. Panini was able to get a FIFA/FIFPro license as a package. If you wanted to do club teams in one product you'd have to get group licenses for entire leagues which would quickly become prohibitively expensive.
hoosiergooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiergooner View Post
Yeah, it just won't happen. The different leagues will make licensing too tough. Panini was able to get a FIFA/FIFPro license as a package. If you wanted to do club teams in one product you'd have to get group licenses for entire leagues which would quickly become prohibitively expensive.
Two words, Champions League.

Panini Italy have the license and they already mass produce low end Trading Card Games in Europe but as we've already seen with Prizm it takes Panini America to produce a proper higher-end set with autos, SP's, etc.

Last edited by Futbol_Cards; 08-01-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Futbol_Cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futbol_Cards View Post

Panini Italy have the license and they already mass produce low end Trading Card Games in Europe but as we've already seen with Prizm it takes Panini America to produce a proper higher-end set with autos, SP's, etc.
yep , for sure
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

That's right. These Match Attax cards sucks. Hopefully Panini will make a similar Prizm CL set for the upcoming season.
UD Legends '97: 129/168
Busstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busstop View Post
That's right. These Match Attax cards sucks. Hopefully Panini will make a similar Prizm CL set for the upcoming season.
i hope to god they do. would love to collect all the liverpool players!
Old 08-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

Its far too big of a risk. Plus, I'm pretty sure Topps already has an exclusive on the Premier League for trading cards, but that might not be true. I'll be shocked if it ever happens.

Well, I figured that there wouldn't be other cards of premier league teams but I was wrong. There is Adrenalyn XL for the Champions League. I'd love to see it happen, but I'll be surprised if it does.

Last edited by hoosiergooner; 08-03-2014 at 09:13 PM.
hoosiergooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure Futbol Cards is right here. Panini already have the rights to the Champions League. They do not need permission from each league as the images they use are from the Champions League and hence are breaking no licensing rights for any league. If you look at the Panini Champions League cards already in existence you should notice the Champions League patch on the jersey and if you don't they obviously don't need permission from the league.

Topps UK produced Premier League cards all along and last year Topps US produced a high end set. Panini Italy create Champions League cards (there has already been a so so high end Champions League set) so no reason why Panini US couldn't take this on
Portlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #19 (permalink)

For some reason, even though subscribed to the thread I haven't been getting any e-mails. I thought it was a poorly asked question and just wasn't receiving any responses; I'll take a moment to play catch-up here.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #20 (permalink)

Alright, I wanted to thank you all for sharing your thoughts here, and add a couple of my own. Being entirely new to the soccer side of things, I truly value each of your insightful comments. High-fives all around.

In looking at 2014 Topps MLS Chrome, I'm finding things to like. Based on a bit of gResearch (google research, just made that up) I think it'll be the best soccer product Topps has released to date, for a few reasons.

1) They're chrome. Chrome is the premium for any card, anywhere. Chrome also offers a higher success rate in BGS/PSA grading than paper inserts/autographs.

2) True color parallels, including superfractors! When I look at the 2014 Topps MLS stuff, I can barely tell the 1/1 from a base autograph without seeing a serial number. Chrome is the only opportunity anyone is afforded to chase rainbows without being called something insensitive, and I think we can all say that at some point we've given it a shot. It was good to see so many parallel sets and rainbows being chased with Panini's WC product, so I expect more of the same here. Plus, printing plates and superfractors, in a soccer product? You bet your ass.

3) At an entry price of about $65, it's a nice buy with 3 autos per box.

You should know, I'm not here on behalf of Topps, and I'm not here to advocate for anyone to buy this product. Here are some thoughts on why it sucks.

1) It's an MLS product, and while the MLS is certainly gaining steam, I'm pretty sure there's a guy that plays for Philadelphia that's like 60. He just flails his legs in the air and tries to injure people. I'm 27 years old, and I am faster, stronger, and probably twice as accurate as this guy. I also know that I'm not worthy of playing professional soccer, because there are 100 16-18 year olds in my city that could run circles around me. I swear people, I'm being realistic here --- I think this could be a product that pulls from the Panini WC product, and ends up laying a foundation for successful products in years to come when all that licensing garbage gets sorted out --- but sadly, it's still the MLS (although that's where my current interest resides).

2. Sticker autographs --- are you freaking kidding me, Topps? It must be a cost thing, because I'd venture a guess that American Soccer players are more accessible than anyone in MLB, the NBA, the NFL, and probably the NHL. Regardless --- this HAS to be addressed.

3. Someone else already said it, but, yeah; these cards aren't just ugly, they're hideous.

4. A cheap, half-assed insert attempt is overwhelmingly obnoxious by including Mexico's men's national team.

Anyways, I'm looking at some other comments above, and the last thing I want to address is the "no one in soccer cares about rookies" comment. I can make a strong argument in the opposing corner, as I have began buying/bidding on eBay on some of this stuff I have already seen that I'll be paying a premium for rookie/prospect-type cards.

Anyways, hope to continue a healthy discussion here, and again, very much appreciate all of the feedback.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #21 (permalink)

I'm not sure how many here remember the original Premier Gold set which first included jersey and auto's over 10 years ago by Topps UK but they were high quality cards. For me I would rate those, the chrome cards and the type of cards Futera use for their base cards as the highest quality cards available to use.

I agree the look of the 2014 MLS set is poor. I think Upper Deck did such a better job but at least Topps finally put in some awesome patches like crests etc which Upper Deck did in the Supreme Fabrics set which is the best MLS produced in my mind.

With regards the stickers I agree they are probably more accessible but will the extra cost be worth it to Topps? Probably not. Would it be worth it to the fans who collect it? Yes definitely. Would the extra cost in on card auto's be worth the extra sales? I'm not sure but at the end of the day it's all about the profit in their back pocket.

With regards the rookie card thing, in my knowledge it is not as big a thing here in Europe (where most rookie cards will have been produced for the top players). Rookie cards is most certainly big in america and while I'm sure a lot of collectors in Europe will want all the cards of the player they collect, saying I must have his rookie is rare in football cards here
Old 08-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #22 (permalink)

Great insight; what I'm giving is based off of what seems to be accessible at the moment, and having no knowledge of what's been around before. I'd love to get a better look at the Futera, original Premier Gold, and Supreme Fabrics.

I remember sitting at Arrowhead Stadium (football Chiefs) in Kansas City back in 2000 to watch the Wizards play DC United. There were four half-filled sections open that were all right on the field. The attendance that day was 240(ish), and I'd say close to half were friends/family. Having been absent from truly following soccer for years, I'm curious; what's next for soccer? I think the MLS Chrome looks like a step in the right direction, but is the sport (worldwide) big enough now to warrant a more substantial market?

Old 08-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #23 (permalink)

I'll try and upload some picks of those later this evening but just in my opinion what I would like is a professional looking card with player statistics on the back (topps premier gold 2013 by Topps did have this), the last Topps MLS cards looked more like they were made for kids with the design. The cards stock to be good (chrome and Futera both fit this well). The old Topps Premier Gold and Futera also had this stamped engraving on the cards which also added to the cards which I liked.

If you are looking worldwide then yes I think there is a massive market for football cards as a whole. If we are talking about MLS cards I would say no, it's just not big enough. If you had a set and got Villa, Lampard, Kaka to sign you may entice a few collectors to pick up their cards but apart from those it's pretty limited.

If you look at La Liga a set with just Real Madrid and Barcelona would be huge, it would be bought worldwide I have no doubt. They have so many big players, the majority of the best players in La Liga are now with them and you include all the other big stars from the Premier League etc it is why a Champions League set would be huge and I think that is the way forward with football cards worldwide. The World Cup set was a huge step forward and a Champions League set would be just as huge if not bigger with Ibra etc being included
Old 08-04-2014, 11:28 AM   #24 (permalink)

@Topps @Panini .... are you listening and taking notes?

Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Just please make all cards going forward chrome! Thick soft paper is nice but it just doesn't have that same look like a chrome refractor.