Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #151 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbluebanshee View Post
This is how I see it, after many times watching the video.

I cannot see contact between cars ...looks to me like Ward just gets squeezed and runs out of room.

It also looks like Stewart did run up close to him, most likely to scare him. But Ward bends down as car is passing...most likely to yell at Stewart, and gets taken out by the wing. The impact of the wing is what causes the sprint car to move...not a swerve by Stewart.

I've never been a fan of Stewart...this is a tragic accident. From what I can see, it was not an intentional hit...but in hindsight...Stewart should have driven lower to avoid any kind of confrontation. Knowing Stewarts temper...he intentionally got close to intimidate him, and things did indeed, go wrong!!
From the other thread, which I agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
So every racer who loses his/her cool has the predisposition to purposely run somebody over?
You are reaching. If that is what I meant, then that is what I would have stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
Ahhh I understand....even though it's a GIF of Tony it was ment to show that the kid did something racers do all the time
Please, let's not pretend that you understand anything. Go away.
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #152 (permalink)

Quote:
Please show me the evidence that you see cause I don't see anything warranting him being charged

1. The man walked into his way
2. Tony gunned the engine to turn the truck to miss him (you have to hit the gas to turn in these vehicles) and fishtailed and his back end hit him

I just don't see it....yes it's a tragedy and prayers go out to his family but he should have never gotten out of the truck
True he should've stayed in his vehicle. (Feels like Zimmerman all over again....)

But as many have pointed out, Tony appears to have been trying to intimidate the kid. Any aggressive behavior on Tony's part makes him culpable for the death of Ward. That's manslaughter. There's no such thing as "oops" a kid is dead.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #153 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenzy View Post
Bottom line: There's enough here to warrant charges and a trial. No trial = outrage. If they have a proper criminal trial, we should all be able to live with the verdict.
Yeah, you obviously know nothing about the story, racing or anything relevant to what happened.

Sad story indeed. None of us know the facts or what really happened. Only time will tell.

United States Air Force Veteran
steelcityguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #154 (permalink)

Im really curious to hear his fellow race car drivers take on the incident.
Pat3ntP3nd1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:57 PM   #155 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post

You are reaching. If that is what I meant, then that is what I would have stated.
I don't think its much of a reach. You posted the gif for a reason.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #156 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
To show that competitors can lose their composure, which Stewart has done in the past during competition.
Quote:
So every racer who loses his/her cool has the predisposition to purposely run somebody over?
Quote:
I don't think its much of a reach. You posted the gif for a reason.
Not every racer, just showing Stewart's past behavior in competition. If you do not think he was trying to intimidate the other driver, you do not know much about racing.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #157 (permalink)

Quote:
Not every racer, just showing Stewart's past behavior in competition. If you do not think he was trying to intimidate the other driver, you do not know much about racing.
There's nothing wrong with intimidation, it's a byproduct of competition.

Does it stink the guy died? Of course. But he also put himself in harms way so it is not unexpected a car hit him.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #158 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbox View Post
Why the hell would you walk in the middle of the track while cars are still whizzing by?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TASS View Post
Not a racing fan but am aware of Tony Stewart's reputation of being a hot head, this will not help his case in this situation.
My thoughts as well, the kid put himself in a bad situation. To me, it's debatable whether Stewart swerved into the kid, or swerved afterward. Nothing will happen to him, though.
jeg2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:22 PM   #159 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
There's nothing wrong with intimidation, it's a byproduct of competition.

Does it stink the guy died? Of course. But he also put himself in harms way so it is not unexpected a car hit him.
I certainly do not believe that Stewart intentionally ran the driver down but I do think that in the heat of competition he tried to intimidate him.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:24 PM   #160 (permalink)

Quote:
I certainly do not believe that Stewart intentionally ran the driver down but I do think that in the heat of competition he tried to intimidate him.
Can't say for sure but it's definitely possibility. Just a bad situation that could have been avoided had the driver stayed in the car.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #161 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjacookies View Post
I hope they throw the book at this guy...this is murder any way you look at it.
do you really believe this was premeditated by Stewart and he intended to kill Ward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrenzy View Post
But as many have pointed out, Tony appears to have been trying to intimidate the kid. Any aggressive behavior on Tony's part makes him culpable for the death of Ward. That's manslaughter. There's no such thing as "oops" a kid is dead.
what you should have said is, "but as many have wildly speculated based on no facts...." people are reading into it what they want to see. was Stewart trying to intimidate Ward or was he trying to avoid him?

i don't even know if they can charge manslaughter here. aggressive behavior is part of sports, even racing. and it will be tough to prove other elements such as being reckless on a race track.

one thing we do know for sure is that if Ward had stayed in his car, or at least not chased after Stewart, he'd most likely be alive today.

i doubt anyone is taking it lightly and thinking "oops." but it goes a little far in the other direction to suggest Stewart is a murderer.
ejs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #162 (permalink)

Quote:
Please show me the evidence that you see cause I don't see anything warranting him being charged

2. Tony gunned the engine to turn the truck to miss him (you have to hit the gas to turn in these vehicles) and fishtailed and his back end hit him

I just don't see it....yes it's a tragedy and prayers go out to his family but he should have never gotten out of the truck
This is what I saw. Terrible tragedy regardless of how it happened though.

http://www.comc.com/Users/SpastikMooss
SpastikMooss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #163 (permalink)

Quote:

Agree 100 percent
Old 08-10-2014, 03:40 PM   #164 (permalink)

Not much of a driver if he was only trying to intimidate him and ended up killing him by direct impact...

These drivers know their machines by the inch, and especially at caution speed, Stewart should have been in total control of his vehicle.
Nicnac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #165 (permalink)

I don't see any way they bring charges against Stewart. No one really knows what he was actually thinking and trying to do but Stewart.

He may be suspended from racing for the rest of the year and maybe fined but that's about all I see coming his way.

It might also make NASCAR make a rule that you can only race in official nascar races. They might also introduce a rule that you have to stay in your car until help arrives unless your car is on fire.

It's a sad tragedy and I feel for all involved and the kids family.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:45 PM   #166 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post
Not much of a driver if he was only trying to intimidate him and ended up killing him by direct impact...

These drivers know their machines by the inch, and especially at caution speed, Stewart should have been in total control of his vehicle.
In fairness, he wasn't necessarily trying to intimidate him. Just speculation.

It's fully possible he didn't even see him. A human being isn't exactly something you're accustomed to having to dodge obviously.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #167 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Can't say for sure but it's definitely possibility. Just a bad situation that could have been avoided had the driver stayed in the car.
Quote:

It's fully possible he didn't even see him. A human being isn't exactly something you're accustomed to having to dodge obviously.
I recommend you pay attention to the audio in the video.

Quote:

On point. Reckless behavior on his part.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #168 (permalink)

Quote:

Agreed, I said what I did to those who claim he may have been trying to intimidate him.

If so, he's a lousy driver.

I believe he didn't see him at all and tried to avoid him too late.

Last edited by Nicnac; 08-10-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #169 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbluebanshee View Post
This is how I see it, after many times watching the video.

I cannot see contact between cars ...looks to me like Ward just gets squeezed and runs out of room.

It also looks like Stewart did run up close to him, most likely to scare him. But Ward bends down as car is passing...most likely to yell at Stewart, and gets taken out by the wing. The impact of the wing is what causes the sprint car to move...not a swerve by Stewart.

I've never been a fan of Stewart...this is a tragic accident. From what I can see, it was not an intentional hit...but in hindsight...Stewart should have driven lower to avoid any kind of confrontation. Knowing Stewarts temper...he intentionally got close to intimidate him, and things did indeed, go wrong!!
On point and well said.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #170 (permalink)

Actually, this cements something that has bugged me for years, why these millionaire champions race in the 'minor' leagues.

The nascar organization is odd, imagine if major league athletes played in the 4th tier leagues.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:13 PM   #171 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Actually, this cements something that has bugged me for years, why these millionaire champions race in the 'minor' leagues.

The nascar organization is odd, imagine if major league athletes played in the 4th tier leagues.
I do really think that Stewart just loves racing. He has been doing dirt track for a very long time. I would not begrudge the professionals that want to continue with it and also view it as a great chance for others to race with/against some of the best in the industry.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #172 (permalink)

Quote:
I do really think that Stewart just loves racing. He has been doing dirt track for a very long time. I would not begrudge the professionals that want to continue with it and also view it as a great chance for others to race with/against some of the best in the industry.
Agreed, but in this case, you have millionaire champion hotheads racing against kids trying to make it to the big leagues.

Again, imagine if the top major league stars played in the minor leagues just because they love to play.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:25 PM   #173 (permalink)

Kid tried making a name for himself by attacking Tony Stewart in the minor leagues of racing. I don't think Stewart saw him (black suit and helmet) and tried to react too late. Why in the world he ran out like that is beyond me. The guy was looking for trouble and unfortunately paid with his life.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:28 PM   #174 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityguy View Post
Yeah, you obviously know nothing about the story, racing or anything relevant to what happened.
Easy there Turbo! I fully respect your knowledge of racing and fully acknowledge my own ignorance of the sport - specifically dirt track.

However, in my own defense, my comments were made based upon reading several articles such as http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/s...len-kevin-ward

What I find interesting is that 90% of the articles on this tragedy rely heavily on quotes from Tyler Graves, who is both a Sprintcar racer and a friend of Ward. Most of them use the following quote:

"Tony pinched him into the frontstretch wall, a racing thing," Graves said. "The right rear tire went down, he spun on the exit of (Turn) 2. They threw the caution and everything was toned down. Kevin got out of his car. He was throwing his arms up all over the place at Tony for most of the corner...

...I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."

But few of them are are using his quote (found at the bottom of the article linked above):

"Tony Stewart needs to be put in prison for life," Graves said."
So while anyone is free to disagree with my take on the accident, please don't say that it is wholly ignorant or only held by ignorant people. Let's aim for constructive dialogue. I don't believe that Tony Stewart is a murderer - I believe he foolishly tried to send a message to another individual who was acting foolishly and that message got out of hand and left someone dead - hence accidental manslaughter, but not murder.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #175 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoldy97 View Post
Whew, good to know you need to say you meant to hit someone or have a witness to confirm it in any sort of auto accident where someone dies.
Between this comment and your response in the post before, having a hard time not saying something. Good thing I don't want to get banned. Bet you're a real classy guy.
snomelcrob is offline   Reply With Quote