Blowout Cards Forums
Draft Kings

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #201 (permalink)

While this can be interpreted in many different ways (as most things can on a forum), I would be interested in hearing peoples opinion on another example of 'intimidating' that can lead to severe injury.

If later this year a defender hits a receiver crossing over the middle and goes helmet to helmet causing the receiver to sustain a major concussion that leads to death, should that defender be charged with manslaughter?
davdukes4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #202 (permalink)

What's sad is that if it was done to intimidate Ward, Stewart will never admit to that!
Crazybella8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #203 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2131 View Post
For the sake of argument, let's say that Stewart did in fact rev his engine in an attempt to scare Ward, which caused his car to spin and hit Ward (which is what I would want a grand jury to determine). Do you think that Stewart bears no responsibility in that instance for his actions?
I don't play in hypotheticals.

If he did rev his engine, it could have been an attempt to avoid Ward. Like mentioned earlier, to turn, you have to accelerate.

When you are racing at high speeds, going around a turn, and there is someone wearing dark colors standing in the middle of a slippery track, it is not a surprise the driver hit the person.

It could have very well been the first car that hit him.

What it boils down to for me is the immature act of being in the pathway of live racing vehicles caused Ward his life.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #204 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to free2131

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdukes4 View Post
If later this year a defender hits a receiver crossing over the middle and goes helmet to helmet causing the receiver to sustain a major concussion that leads to death, should that defender be charged with manslaughter?
My answer to a similar question:

Quote:
As to the NFL guy, I would need more evidence to say, such as did the player go outside of the normal act of tackling the ball carrier (like slam his head down into the turf, stomp on his head if the helmet came off, etc...). If that did not happen, the no.
As long as the play doesn't go outside the normal act of tackling or playing football I don't think so.
free2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:10 PM   #205 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addison View Post
A court would likely rule that Ward assumed the risk of stepping in front of a moving vehicle.

Presumed attempt to intimidate is a weak stretch.

Your gun analogy is silly. Apples and oranges. By pulling out his gun and discharging his weapon without just reason, he is breaking numerous laws.

Inadvertently clipping a person on a live racetrack is tragic, but not illegal nor should Ward's family be awarded and any money from a civil case because he's the one that walked in front of live race cars.
I strongly believe in the power of language, and you keep saying he stepped in front of a moving vehicle. Why do you keep saying that?
WCTYSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:15 PM   #206 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't play in hypotheticals.
Quote:
If he did rev his engine, it could have been an attempt to avoid Ward. Like mentioned earlier, to turn, you have to accelerate.
Did you mean to say you don't play in hypotheticals if it doesn't support your position?

Quote:
When you are racing at high speeds
He was driving at 35 MPH.

Quote:
It could have very well been the first car that hit him.
There you go with those hypotheticals again...

Quote:
What it boils down to for me is the immature act of being in the pathway of live racing vehicles caused Ward his life.
It was definitely immature of him to stay in the lane of traffic. That doesn't justify his death by the reckless actions of another party.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #207 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to AceGambit3 Send a message via MSN to AceGambit3

All I will say is this based upon 8 pages of this thread, countless reports and videos:

People keep bringing up that drivers get out of their vehicles all the time and that Stewart could have easily avoided him. Ward, while this was very tragic and I feel for his family, did an extremely stupid thing and it cost him his life. Every instance I have ever seen of a driver getting out of their car or trying to confront a fellow driver has been off to the side not intentionally trying to be head on with the driver's vehicle you are attempting to confront and sure as hell not in the middle of the race track. You can clearly see Ward is higher up then when he sees Tony's car he drops back down to get directly in front of his car. Who the hell does that? While I can't say Tony didn't try to scare him a little and could have completely avoided him, you also can't say "these are professional drivers they should be in full control" as they are not trained to dodge idiots who appear directly in front of their high powered vehicles on a turn. The 45 car barely missed him. Again it is tragic but something that should have never happened to begin with.

Also being a Jeff Gordon fan, I've never liked Stewart but I'm reserving judgement until more damning evidence comes to light. I heard there was a Go Pro on Stewart's car, would like to know what they pull from that.

Last edited by AceGambit3; 08-10-2014 at 06:23 PM.
AceGambit3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #208 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCTYSON View Post
I strongly believe in the power of language, and you keep saying he stepped in front of a moving vehicle. Why do you keep saying that?
Because he got out of a race car and stepped in the pathway of other race cars.

Quote:
Did you mean to say you don't play in hypotheticals if it doesn't support your position?

He was driving at 35 MPH.

There you go with those hypotheticals again...

It was definitely immature of him to stay in the lane of traffic. That doesn't justify his death by the reckless actions of another party.
If you step in traffic and a bus clips you, does that make the bus driver reckless?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:26 PM   #209 (permalink)

Quote:
If you step in traffic and a bus clips you, does that make the bus driver reckless?
Depends. Did he try to rev his engine and get close to me, causing him to spin out, hitting and killing me? In either case, there would be an investigation and more than likely a trial to determine if the bus driver behaved recklessly in my death (which is ALL I am asking for).
Old 08-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #210 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Because he got out of a race car and stepped in the pathway of other race cars.
It just so happen to be Stewart that struck him with his car but none of the others that had already passed. Do not be so naive.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #211 (permalink)

Quote:
Depends. Did he try to rev his engine and get close to me, causing him to spin out, hitting and killing me?
You keep saying Stewart intentionally revved his engine to get close to Ward. Is there proof? Could he not have been trying to avoid Ward the whole time? We may never find out, but based on the evidence we have, there is nothing to suggest Stewart did anything to put Ward at risk.

Racers aren't accustomed to avoiding drivers standing in the middle of the track, and nor is a bus driver cruising in the middle of a turnpike.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #212 (permalink)

Quote:
It just so happen to be Stewart that struck him with his car but none of the others that had already passed. Do not be so naive.
Did you watch the video of the incident? The car in front of Stewart ever so barely missed him. That car may have even screened Ward and blocked Stewart's view of him.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:33 PM   #213 (permalink)

Quote:
You do know that he was dodging those cars while he was walking out there right? He tried to get close to Stewart's car to yell at him.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #214 (permalink)

Quote:
You keep saying Stewart intentionally revved his engine to get close to Ward. Is there proof? Could he not have been trying to avoid Ward the whole time?
Yes (though having driven at 35 MPH before, I find hard to believe he had to do). This is a possibility, which needs to be thoroughly examined via a GRAND JURY TRIAL, which is all that I have advocated for.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #215 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes (though having driven at 35 MPH before, I find hard to believe he had to do). This is a possibility, which needs to be thoroughly examined via a GRAND JURY TRIAL, which is all that I have advocated for.
Have you driven 35 mph going around a turn on slippery dirt with low viability with an irate person in dark colors walking towards your vehicle?

I don't think a jury is necessary.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #216 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Did you watch the video of the incident? The car in front of Stewart ever so barely missed him. That car may have even screened Ward and blocked Stewart's view of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
You do know that he was dodging those cars while he was walking out there right? He tried to get close to Stewart's car to yell at him.
I have watched the video too many times. Look at the line all of the other drivers take while under caution. Look at where the deceased is standing before and after the #45, white race car passes. Stewart knew there was a crash on the track and he was involved in it. Why does he drive a higher line than the others who have already passed low? Listen to the audio. Why does he rev his engine just before striking the deceased? Why is it that all the other race cars passed without issue but the car that was part of the crash was unable to safely pass? He did not step into Stewart's car. Stewart was being a hot head and he killed another driver with his reckless acts.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #217 (permalink)

Quote:
I have watched the video too many times. Look at the line all of the other drivers take while under caution. Look at where the deceased is standing before and after the #45, white race car passes. Stewart knew there was a crash on the track and he was involved in it. Why does he drive a higher line than the others who have already passed low? Listen to the audio. Why does he rev his engine just before striking the deceased? Why is it that all the other race cars passed without issue but the car that was part of the crash was unable to safely pass? He did not step into Stewart's car. Stewart was being a hot head and he killed another driver with his reckless acts.
I guess we are watching different videos.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #218 (permalink)

I get garage passes for the daytona races and have met these drivers several times. Tony is 50/50 every time I've met him. I will always remember tony throwing my friends card at him because he didn't want to autographed it. We were the only 2 people around tony in the garages.
ucfkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #219 (permalink)

Quote:
It looked like he walked right in front of Stewart.
Braswell10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #220 (permalink)

Quote:
I disagree 100 percent. The car swerved out of the way to avoid him walking down the track while he backed away from it. He was walking towards Stewart's car the entire time. He most certainly did not back away from stewarts car. His reckless act of walking thru traffic on a race track caused this tragedy.

As many people stated that have way more knowledge than me on that particular subject they gave the reason for acceleration.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:58 PM   #221 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I guess we are watching different videos.
Must be. So to be clear. He stepped in front of Stewart's car? Interesting.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:00 PM   #222 (permalink)

Quote:
Must be. So to be clear. He stepped in front of Stewart's car? Interesting.
Along with other cars, 100% yes.

Had he stayed in his car or exited the the track, he would still be alive. But he decided to play chicken with racing vehicles, and ultimately his reckless decision cost him his life.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #223 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braswell10 View Post
It looked like he walked right in front of Stewart.
i couldn't tell anything from the angle the camera was then but he did just about walk into the 1st car that went by, it was a much better angle and it even looked like that car swerved to avoid hitting him
Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:25 PM   #224 (permalink)
Banned

Ward was in the same spot, where the #45 car passed him without issue, then was struck by Stewart on a high line compared to all the other drivers. Of all the other cars on the track, it just happened that Stewart was the one that killed him. You can also plainly see that Stewart's front wheels are turned toward the right and hear that he accelerated toward Ward. Ward did not walk, step, jump or fly into the path of Stewart. Stewart killed him with his extremely reckless behavior.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #225 (permalink)

I don't get how anyone can say that Stewart was reckless when an idiot is walking into the middle of a racetrack. That's reckless.
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote