Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
We all know Wheeler idolizes Price and his products. Series D sportskings wont be any better. No wonder nobody will give this company a license.
For the record, I only collect Sportkings. While I like the other dozen or so products Dr. Price produces, I only collect Sportkings. I also like A&G as well as many other products from the other top companies, but none of them as much as Sportkings.

As far as your opinion on SK D not being any good, we'll all know in a few weeks.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
LOL your comparing MJ and Pryor autographs are you guys serious? Its called supply and demand, and notice MJ outsells everyone but Ali in this product. For a boxing fan might be a cool product, but wouldnt you like some value included in relation to the secondary market? I bet Dr Price loves this product too. Nothing like getting $175 for a product and loading it with $40 worth of goods. We all know Wheeler idolizes Price and his products, but the reality is this product has no value compared to cost. You would have to buy 8-10 TKO CASES to hit that Ali, and once more hit that card wont bring what it is now so lets be real. Series D sportskings wont be any better. No wonder nobody will give this company a license.
Same concept though as UD charging $600+ for a box of Exquisite and you're best card is a redemption that never gets made though,then crossing your fingers that what replacement they send you has 1/10th the value of what you're praying for,no?

Take MJ out of the mix, how many boxes of high end UD products have yielded crap upon crap. Lebron autos have become watered down,Kobe has become watered down.
After those 3,UD gives you next to nothing. I'll take my chances in pulling a Mike Tyson auto or a LaMotta over a Danny Granger one color patch/auto
gman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:19 PM   #28 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman71 View Post
Same concept though as UD charging $600+ for a box of Exquisite and you're best card is a redemption that never gets made though,then crossing your fingers that what replacement they send you has 1/10th the value of what you're praying for,no?

Take MJ out of the mix, how many boxes of high end UD products have yielded crap upon crap. Lebron autos have become watered down,Kobe has become watered down.
After those 3,UD gives you next to nothing. I'll take my chances in pulling a Mike Tyson auto or a LaMotta over a Danny Granger one color patch/auto
Basketball has been a larger sport than boxing since, well, forever. If CCC made a boxing product every year, you don't think autographs of Ali would begin to be watered down? Plus UD does very well in replacing redemptions, most of the time you get more value than the card promised (Although you'll argue the point that it was a redemption in the first place).
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #29 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
And this is why you're misinformed because this sentence is not accurate.

The makers of Sportkings are the very same makers of many other products. You even heard it directly from the owner of the company.

Your argument is equivalent to saying, "National Treasures only makes one product per year". While NT might only come out once per year, the company that produces it releases many other products.
What? National Treasures is a product of Donruss/Playoff (now Panini). Sportkings is a full-blown company that makes Sportkings cards. Price owns a few other companies, In the Game and Creative Cardboard Concepts, which produce a few other products already mentioned.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:40 PM   #30 (permalink)

Who cares if you think they put out only 1 product or if you think the put out all the products from the brands Price owns... it's still something else they do right. So they have more time to acquire them and don't use current players which makes getting all the signatures on-card less difficult. You bet they do, and perhaps the other brands should take note.

Bottom line here is that Sport Kings does a lot of things right. Anyone that says otherwise just has an agenda against Price or the company in general. I personally don't buy them because my customers don't want them. They say they are unlicensed. They say they are Ugly. They say the average box doesn't have enough secondary market value to justify the risk (a point I would say is true of the other companies products too, just as much if not more so).

All of those points are either facts or a mater of opinion and so I can't dispute them. So since there is so little demand for the product from my customers, I don't buy them. But as the company continues to grow and gain more respect and popularity, I would imagine that general sentiment will change. I think making the product affordable to a larger base, as the seem to be doing with this new release, will go a long way to changing those sentiments. It still seems like they are still a very niche product where the same buyers will just be opening a larger quantity now, but I'm sure the collector base will spread with each new release. But the fact is, even with the limited collector base, the singles (especially the rare ones) do just fine in terms of resale value.

The company is run the right way and has gone out of their way to address the things that are peoples biggest pet peeves in this hobby. So whether you like them or not, they should be respected for what they have achieved. I think general acceptance in the hobby isn't far away for this brand.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike

Last edited by ohiomike; 06-22-2010 at 06:43 PM.
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
What? National Treasures is a product of Donruss/Playoff (now Panini). Sportkings is a full-blown company that makes Sportkings cards. Price owns a few other companies, In the Game and Creative Cardboard Concepts, which produce a few other products already mentioned.
Incorrect. Sportkings is not a company, but a product manufactured by Sport Kings LP. They are two very different things, but I can see how you and others get them confused.

Therefore, my example was spot on.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:48 PM   #32 (permalink)

Can't wait for this to come out, even though I'll be away when it does. I'll have to wait till August I guess.

I ALSO COLLECT HIDEKI MATSUI AND JOBA CHAMBERLAIN.
botie1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomike View Post
Who cares if you think they put out only 1 product or if you think the put out all the products from the brands Price owns... it's still something else they do right. So they have more time to acquire them and don't use current players which makes getting all the signatures on-card less difficult. You bet they do, and perhaps the other brands should take note.

Bottom line here is that Sport Kings does a lot of things right. Anyone that says otherwise just has an agenda against Price or the company in general. I personally don't buy them because my customers don't want them. They say they are unlicensed. They say they are Ugly. They say the average box doesn't have enough secondary market value to justify the risk (a point I would say is true of the other companies products too, just as much if not more so).

All of those points are either facts or a mater of opinion and so I can't dispute them. So since there is so little demand for the product from my customers, I don't buy them. But as the company continues to grow and gain more respect and popularity, I would imagine that general sentiment will change. I think making the product affordable to a larger base, as the seem to be doing with this new release, will go a long way to changing those sentiments. It still seems like they are still a very niche product where the same buyers will just be opening a larger quantity now, but I'm sure the collector base will spread with each new release. But the fact is, even with the limited collector base, the singles (especially the rare ones) do just fine in terms of resale value.

The company is run the right way and has gone out of their way to address the things that are peoples biggest pet peeves in this hobby. So whether you like them or not, they should be respected for what they have achieved. I think general acceptance in the hobby isn't far away for this brand.
Very well written.

As always Mike, you have a gift of being eloquent. Something I'm not very good at.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #34 (permalink)

I don't know about eloquent Matt, but I'll take the compliment just the same

Something else I thought of since I wrote this, that I think could go a long way in the overall acceptance of SK is beckett and their treatment of the brand. A lot of collectors still rely on beckett and when they can't easily find SK products in their beckett's I think it sometimes persuades them not to buy. And even the more savvy collectors, who know beckett prices them in the online price guide, know beckett prices them fairly low compared to similar cards from other products. This leads to sellers having to ask a higher % of book, if not full book, and that scares some customers off as well... especially if they already have reservations about the product.

I think one step that might do just as much good as anything that SK could directly do, is to get beckett to become more accepting of the products as being main-stream. Why not list them in the regular print becketts? Why list the book values so low compared to other products? If a NT auto and a SK auto of the same player each sell for $50 on average on ebay, why does the NT book for $100 while the SK books for $60? Seems like that happens a lot, although I'm not the most experienced in tracking SK sales as I've already explained.

Seems to me like if SK got more respect from beckett, that combined with reaching a wider collector base would get the company into the main stream in a hurry.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know about eloquent Matt, but I'll take the compliment just the same

Something else I thought of since I wrote this, that I think could go a long way in the overall acceptance of SK is beckett and their treatment of the brand. A lot of collectors still rely on beckett and when they can't easily find SK products in their beckett's I think it sometimes persuades them not to buy. And even the more savvy collectors, who know beckett prices them in the online price guide, know beckett prices them fairly low compared to similar cards from other products. This leads to sellers having to ask a higher % of book, if not full book, and that scares some customers off as well... especially if they already have reservations about the product.

I think one step that might do just as much good as anything that SK could directly do, is to get beckett to become more accepting of the products as being main-stream. Why not list them in the regular print becketts? Why list the book values so low compared to other products? If a NT auto and a SK auto of the same player each sell for $50 on average on ebay, why does the NT book for $100 while the SK books for $60? Seems like that happens a lot, although I'm not the most experienced in tracking SK sales as I've already explained.

Seems to me like if SK got more respect from beckett, that combined with reaching a wider collector base would get the company into the main stream in a hurry.
I would be all for higher BVs in Beckett for SK cards. That would definitely help out my COMC account.

I have never noticed, or paid attention really, to what values Beckett places on other like cards in different products. I'll have to ask them about it when I get a chance. Perhaps at the National. I'm sure they'll tell me that NT is more accepted than SK and therefore the same autographs are worth more in NT, but perhaps they could change that "perception" as you're pointing out.

It's an interesting concept, that's for sure.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #36 (permalink)

The hobby needs competition so my wish for Sportkings would be to become successful enough to have fully licensed cards in lieu of airbrushing. One of my biggest apprehensions about Sportkings is the fact that they are not licensed (ala 1991 Post Cereal Baseball). I would imagine that a few other collectors share this sentiment.

I fully agree that True Sale Value versus Book Value of Sportkings is higher than any product that I can think of.

Quote:

Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #37 (permalink)

Very well said Mike. I couldn't agree more.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #38 (permalink)

Wow I didnt anticipate this forum getting so much activity when I started it but it seems that there has been some valuable arguments from both sides. At 100 bucks a box it seems to be mirroring most of the ultimate collections stuff. IMHO I think its worth a shot.

Opening a new hobby shop soon northwest of Pittsburgh, check us out at luckylarryssportscards.com and Lucky Larry's Sports Cards on facebook!
hanes1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #39 (permalink)

The memorabilia sets have been listed on the SK website at the following link:

Sportkings Trading Cards
Old 06-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #40 (permalink)

mmmmm Biba Golic

but no muhammad ali autothreads. i wonder how many cards ali signed for this product. i'm guessing the number is less than the amount in ringside
Old 06-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #41 (permalink)
Manufacturer

I would be interested to know how posters on this thread would go about getting licensed for Sportkings. We have athletes for more than twenty sports. Including baseball, hockey, football, basketball, tennis, golf, horse racing, mixed martial arts, track and field, swimming and more. Which licenses should I try and acquire?

Just wondering?

Also wondering why collectors who don't like the product, just don't buy it. Why do they feel they must slam it?

Let them go out try negotiating with the world's greatest athletes. Pele, Namath, Lemieux, Ryan, Russell, Roy, Marino, Rice, Spitz, Rose, Ali, Montana, Messier, Tyson.

Oh, I forgot, they don't do that, they just slam our products and slam any one who posts on these board that they enjoy, respect and collect them.

I will continue to stay true to the Sport Kings Gum concept of 1933 and will continue to acquire signatures and memorabilia of the world's greatest athletes.

I will continue to do hard signed autograph cards and no redemptions.

I will hope that one day all collectors will respect Sportkings as I believe they should.

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:18 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
The memorabilia sets have been listed on the SK website at the following link:

Sportkings Trading Cards
Wilt/Curly Neal dual memorabilia!
Ali/Frazier/Holmes triple memorabilia!
Ali/Tyson/RJJ/Lennox quad memorabilia
Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #43 (permalink)

You will have neh sayers no matter what you do its human nature. Mr. Price, as a collector I like the product Im getting rather than buying something to resell. That being said your product does offer a lot to collectors. I think alot of the problem is that people who are strictly rip and flip people cant benifit "AS MUCH" as other products on the market. But like I said previously, at 100 bucks it mirrors the ultimate stuff. Lets be honest and look at what Ultimate or Black have yeilded as 100$ for 1 pack boxes. I pulled a Bob Feller legendary signatures card out of 135$ pack of Ultimate Baseball and it sells on ebay for 20$ maybe. I pulled a Donald Brown rookie signature that maybe goes for 25-30$ out of the Ultimate Football. So...........................for 100$ I personally think this is a reasonable price. You should put a strasburg in there though to really make it take flight.

Opening a new hobby shop soon northwest of Pittsburgh, check us out at luckylarryssportscards.com and Lucky Larry's Sports Cards on facebook!
hanes1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #44 (permalink)

Dr. price or Matt,
How many cases this year? I got 1 master case last year & am getting 2 this year, but can get up to 5, so was curious how much of entire print run that would be????
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbre...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:29 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
Dr. price or Matt,
How many cases this year? I got 1 master case last year & am getting 2 this year, but can get up to 5, so was curious how much of entire print run that would be????
There are only 150 60-box Master cases being made. That's 9000 boxes total. You would have a good percentage of the print run if you buy 5 master cases, (300 boxes) = 3.33%.

Just curious...Have you ever purchased 3% or more of an upper deck or Topps product?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #46 (permalink)
Manufacturer

We will be posting our Cut Signature checklist later this week featuring: Ernie Davis, Davey O'Brien both in the Heisman Winners subset, Jim Thorpe and Red Dutton in the Commissioners' Office subset and many more.

Mid-next week we will be publishing our Autograph Card checklist, this list is always last because we don't do redemptions and must wait until all the autographs are in. Jack Nicklaus just signed his card aboard his jet, Muhammad Ali's cards are in as well as Georges St-Pierre and many others.

There will be a box top redemption at The National but also a box top redemption found in packs for those who can't attend The National. More details will follow.

Brian Price
bprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprice View Post
There will be a box top redemption at The National but also a box top redemption found in packs for those who can't attend The National. More details will follow.
Very good to hear.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:23 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
There are only 150 60-box Master cases being made. That's 9000 boxes total. You would have a good percentage of the print run if you buy 5 master cases, (300 boxes) = 3.33%.

Just curious...Have you ever purchased 3% or more of an upper deck or Topps product?
i'll bet i can guess your reply once Brent responds. i'm going to write it down, then palce it in a safety deposit box and pull a David Blaine on you......... lol !!!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 PM   #49 (permalink)

Definitely not except on SUPER rare products that were very limited, which is very rare...
But I think i am going to do only2, can't see dropping $25k on 5 cases, as I will be lucky to break even and keep a few good cards

of course i am not buying this to make $, but love opening and want to keep a few, then sell you the rest matt
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbre...QQfsooZ1QQrdZ0
brentandbecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentandbecca View Post
Definitely not except on SUPER rare products that were very limited, which is very rare...
But I think i am going to do only2, can't see dropping $25k on 5 cases, as I will be lucky to break even and keep a few good cards

of course i am not buying this to make $, but love opening and want to keep a few, then sell you the rest matt
Now that's just wrong! All wax is opened with the sole goal of making all your $$ back,otherwise it's a bad product!

At least that's the vibe in this thread