Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Thoughts on Sportkings D

Well it's been almost 1 week since the release of the much anticipated Sportkings series D. What dose everyone think? IMO, AWEFULL!!! What the hell happened? The base cards, you can't give away!! the auto's, are basically being given away. The coalition has been horrible, some boxes 9 or 10 auto's some 3 or 4. Some boxes 7 golds, some 0 golds!! I'm a huge fan of this product, but i'm very disappointed w/ this years version. I would love to here others thoughts on this.
gasper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Its another product by a company that has little value in terms of singles sales. The average case will lose you a decent chunk of change. Some people seem to really like the cards, but the average person on these boards I doubt will enjoy them. I opened 2 cases and had I not hit an Ali auto Id have gotten smoked. Even with that hit Id still get smoked if I sold it all.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I was looking at the box/case prices...and I had no idea they were so HIGH. Not too much value for only one "HIT" per box...I did however just pick up a Bret Hart Auto, Auto Memorabilia, and Mini for under the price on one box...so i'm pretty happy.....
jdbuzz44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

i hope you guys can afford the product. because if you can't, the company's owner doesnt think you should be allowed to offer any type of criticism.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Empty boxes are selling for $15 each. I don't recall any other modern day product where every single empty box can be sold for $15 each.

Has anyone really opened a 10-box case and only pulled 3 autos? Is there a link to someone doing so?

Of course I love the product, and I know other "collectors" do as well. I also know that it's not for everyone.

I have seen some major hits where people have made thousands off their break. I have also seen some losses. In the end, it's a collector's product, and I believe that's how it was intended.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mr. Wheeler wrote "In the end, it's a collector's product, and I believe that's how it was intended."
Yea, your right! So they should not have changed the format of 3 box cases w/ multiple hits and less base cards. The way they made it this year is not guided towards the collector, it's more for the rip n flip and those guys are killing the values. When Muhammad Ali gold auto's are being sold for $1000 when there worth hundreds more it's sad. I as well love Sportkings and all the products they make, but they dropped the ball on this one. They should have left the boxes @ $300+ and kept the non collectors out!
Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasper33 View Post
Mr. Wheeler wrote "In the end, it's a collector's product, and I believe that's how it was intended."
Yea, your right! So they should not have changed the format of 3 box cases w/ multiple hits and less base cards. The way they made it this year is not guided towards the collector, it's more for the rip n flip and those guys are killing the values. When Muhammad Ali gold auto's are being sold for $1000 when there worth hundreds more it's sad. I as well love Sportkings and all the products they make, but they dropped the ball on this one. They should have left the boxes @ $300+ and kept the non collectors out!
The purpose of the cheaper box price was to draw in new "collectors" that couldn't previously afford the $300 price tag per box just to add to their PC. If collectors still want to spend $300 on this product, they can, and they get more for their money this year by doing so.

I don't understand you're thinking.
Old 07-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

i love it , any set that has ronnie coleman , ali, gsp , samartino , eusebio , that's just a few of my faves from this series . some people will say it's awful ? based on what ? becasue you didnt make your money back ? i like these , everything i got im keeping .
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

If everything is selling lower, as you're suggesting, why should the collectors care? It just makes it cheaper for them to fill in the holes in their collection, so technically this new format benefits the collectors more than anyone.

I don't really feel bad for the rip and flip guys... first, because I don't think they are faring as badly as you make it seem. But as you suggest, the product wasn't made for them. The new format will help attract new collectors and the byproduct of the rip and flip guys opening this release is that it will be cheaper and easier for the true collectors to get what they want.

http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=ohiomike
ohiomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Empty boxes are selling for $15 each. I don't recall any other modern day product where every single empty box can be sold for $15 each.

Has anyone really opened a 10-box case and only pulled 3 autos? Is there a link to someone doing so?

Of course I love the product, and I know other "collectors" do as well. I also know that it's not for everyone.

I have seen some major hits where people have made thousands off their break. I have also seen some losses. In the end, it's a collector's product, and I believe that's how it was intended.
Matt,

can we redeem our empties at the National or do they have to be opened in person?

Which part of the box do we have to mail? The entire Top panel?
Never Forget 9/11, Be Diligent and Safe!
Vintage Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Collector View Post
Matt,

can we redeem our empties at the National or do they have to be opened in person?

Which part of the box do we have to mail? The entire Top panel?
VC,

As I understand it, you have to open the box at the SK booth. As far as what to mail in...I'm going to flatten the box and mail the whole "outer shell". It doesn't take up much room when it's flattened.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

i have empty boxes of (a ) and ( b ) 2 each if anyone is interested
mma138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

I loved it. First time buyer

Great base set.

Very happy they made more of each base so sets were less expensive.

Plus being a fan of Mcgwire and Nicklaus

Getting on card autos is very cool. No other company could get them to sign and if they did they would of got stickers. LOL

Plus getting Ali to sign was pretty amazing stuff

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

Quote:
lets caveat this statement here. they're selling for $15 each because they are part of a redemption program... that's the only reason why. not because it has 'sportkings' on it.

if they weren't part of a redemption program... would you be buying them for $15 each?
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Ive seen empty exquisite boxes sell in the past for $10-15 that werent part of any program. As bohica says if SK werent giving you something for the boxes, then nobody would buy the cheap little box. It would be garbage. Realistically people are buying a random card coming from SK as part of a box lid redemption.
cruiserdaddy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Your arguments are terribly framed. See Bohica's post above for the reason empty boxes are selling. Also far more people are losing money on their breaks than those that have broke even or made money. However if that's how the product was intended (for collector's not concerned with losing money), then I guess it was a success.
Cutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
VC,

As I understand it, you have to open the box at the SK booth. As far as what to mail in...I'm going to flatten the box and mail the whole "outer shell". It doesn't take up much room when it's flattened.
I was under the impression that u had to send in the box topper that was inside the box with the redemption program printed on it but i also will flatten the box and redeem everything at the national.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 AM   #18 (permalink)

I really like the product.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

This was the first year that I could afford this product and I had a lot of fun opening it, ultimately I will probably break even or better on my break, but even if I didn't I would still have enjoyed it. I can definately see why mwheeler27 is such a fan of it.
mmbtvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #20 (permalink)

Don't get me wrong Sportkings is still one of the best if not the best products made. i just wish they would have left it the same. I understand they wanted to bring more collectors in and they did, but being a high end collector only, I felt like you had a better chance to hit a big one. Maybe i'm wrong. That said i'm happy with my Ali auto and loved the Bruno Sammartino inclusion this year.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #21 (permalink)

Typically I love chasing a few cards from the SportKings line, but this year there isn't a single card I'm chasing. . . Mostly because the people I would consider collecting have already signed for other stuff.

Still looking for that Evel Knievel though.
webjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
lets caveat this statement here. they're selling for $15 each because they are part of a redemption program... that's the only reason why. not because it has 'sportkings' on it.

if they weren't part of a redemption program... would you be buying them for $15 each?
Doesn't matter why they are selling for $15 each. No other modern day product can boast the same. Not Exquisite or anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserdaddy7 View Post
Ive seen empty exquisite boxes sell in the past for $10-15 that werent part of any program. As bohica says if SK werent giving you something for the boxes, then nobody would buy the cheap little box. It would be garbage. Realistically people are buying a random card coming from SK as part of a box lid redemption.
Not all of them. Once someone bought 1 or 2, they didn't want to buy any more. Again, it doesn't matter why they are selling for $15 each. The fact is, every single one of them will sell for that much.

Of course if you guys want it to matter for some reason, it can't be argued that the reason they are selling for more than any other modern day empty box is because Sportkings added value to this product like no other modern day company has done. Nobody else has created demand for their empty boxes like SK has done. Just another example of SK setting the bar high for all those other manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty View Post
Your arguments are terribly framed. See Bohica's post above for the reason empty boxes are selling. Also far more people are losing money on their breaks than those that have broke even or made money. However if that's how the product was intended (for collector's not concerned with losing money), then I guess it was a success.
See my two posts above.

Collectors like this product. Rip and flippers are able to sell ALL of their empty boxes from a current product for the first time in history. I know haters will always try to find something to complain about. It's their nature.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

im ok with getting 1/6th of what i paid for in selling a box i was going to throw out and if i hit something big its a bigger bonus....if your not ok with that then what the hell you ok with???

I only bought a few boxes for the same reason a lot of other people only by a few boxes of each product.....to hit that nasty cut auto or whatever it can be. Ive done this in a lot of diffrent products and you win some and lose some. Suck it up and move on.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
im ok with getting 1/6th of what i paid for in selling a box i was going to throw out and if i hit something big its a bigger bonus....if your not ok with that then what the hell you ok with???

I only bought a few boxes for the same reason a lot of other people only by a few boxes of each product.....to hit that nasty cut auto or whatever it can be. Ive done this in a lot of diffrent products and you win some and lose some. Suck it up and move on.
Another outstanding post!

You see...there are only a few people that want to complain and "hate" on this product. The haters just seem to post the loudest.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:17 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Another outstanding post!

You see...there are only a few people that want to complain and "hate" on this product. The haters just seem to post the loudest.
If that makes you feel better, fine. But I think the real reason there aren't more 'haters' chiming in on the topic, is because since there is no rational discourse possible with you on this topic, most people don't even try. See Capn's thread in the "OFF TOPIC" forum.
edhou1 is offline   Reply With Quote