Blowout Cards Forums
March Mandess

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS

RACING, GOLF & OTHER SPORTS Post your Other Sports Cards Hobby Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2016, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Independent "Indy" Wrestling

Posting this to get a view of people's opinions of indy wrestling. If anyone follows it let me know. Would love to hear people's opinions of the bigger independent promotions like PWG, CZW, CHIKARA or hear about the smaller local indies that some people go to.

As someone who has worked the independent scene for almost 5 years now I would love to hear some stories, thoughts, opions etc so I can better my craft but also just chat with people who love the business just like I do.
tfleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

you wrestle on the indy scene or just a backstage guy?

Also my opinions:

Chikara is great, but some fans hate it due to it's comedy bits. Huge Chuckie T Fan.
PWG is awesome with talent. What they're doing in Cali. is phenomenal.
CZW- hate hardcore wrestling. They do normal stuff but cant stand hardcore wrestling.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

I normally manage but I have also wrestled and reffed. I'm basically a jack of all trades.

I've heard that a ton of times about Chikara but it really is a nice alternative. They put on athletic and skilled matches that get mixed with a great blend of characters and just off the wall situations. Also completely agree with you on Chuck. That dude is incredibly talented. I'm just guessing by the redskins pic but I'm assuming you're an east coast guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillaz View Post
you wrestle on the indy scene or just a backstage guy?

Also my opinions:

Chikara is great, but some fans hate it due to it's comedy bits. Huge Chuckie T Fan.
PWG is awesome with talent. What they're doing in Cali. is phenomenal.
CZW- hate hardcore wrestling. They do normal stuff but cant stand hardcore wrestling.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfleed View Post
I normally manage but I have also wrestled and reffed. I'm basically a jack of all trades.

I've heard that a ton of times about Chikara but it really is a nice alternative. They put on athletic and skilled matches that get mixed with a great blend of characters and just off the wall situations. Also completely agree with you on Chuck. That dude is incredibly talented. I'm just guessing by the redskins pic but I'm assuming you're an east coast guy?
I am a phins fan but how can you not love kirk cousins lol

I am an aspiring/want to do pro wrestling down the road. Have a huge passion for the business.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was wanting to start an Indy topic for awhile, glad someone did. lol I follow quite a bit of it and its great to have an alternative to WWE and TNA. I watch ROH (Some dont consider it an Indy), PWG, Shimmer, AIW, Lucha Underground, Some Chikara, and Evolve. I'd say PWG, Shimmer, and ROH are my favorites and each have great wrestling action.
Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I am a phins fan but how can you not love kirk cousins lol

I am an aspiring/want to do pro wrestling down the road. Have a huge passion for the business.
That's awesome. If you ever do go for it my biggest suggestion is go to the most reputable school you can find.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
I was wanting to start an Indy topic for awhile, glad someone did. lol I follow quite a bit of it and its great to have an alternative to WWE and TNA. I watch ROH (Some dont consider it an Indy), PWG, Shimmer, AIW, Lucha Underground, Some Chikara, and Evolve. I'd say PWG, Shimmer, and ROH are my favorites and each have great wrestling action.
I really wouldn't consider Lucha Underground and ROH an Indy because of how well they are distributed on television. PWG absolutely blows my mind with what they are doing. Shimmer is a great promotion too. Love that they completely dedicated themselves to great female wrestling. It's great seeing that you can be a star on the indies without the backing of a major company.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

AIW is my local promotion and I have been going to every show since December 2014.. never seen a bad show.

All the wrestlers I've interacted with there have been super nice as well.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt View Post
AIW is my local promotion and I have been going to every show since December 2014.. never seen a bad show.

AIW as in Absolute Intense Wrestling based out of Cleveland?
Old 01-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Years ago I used to go to a lot of local indy shows. Some really good, some really awful. I haven't gone to any in a while partially due to not caring about wrestling as much anymore, and partially due to what seems like a giant reduction of local indy feds, which seems crazy in North Carolina.
fazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazzle View Post
Years ago I used to go to a lot of local indy shows. Some really good, some really awful. I haven't gone to any in a while partially due to not caring about wrestling as much anymore, and partially due to what seems like a giant reduction of local indy feds, which seems crazy in North Carolina.
I find that super hard to believe that there aren't a lot of indies in North Carolina. That area used to be one of the best places to work back in the territory days. I think the Hardy Boys are running a promotion there but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
I find that super hard to believe that there aren't a lot of indies in North Carolina. That area used to be one of the best places to work back in the territory days. I think the Hardy Boys are running a promotion there but I'm not 100% sure.
There used to be a TON around a decade ago. There are still a decent number, but nowhere near as many as there used to be, unless I'm just not finding them anywhere online. South Carolina actually seems to have a lot more than North Carolina. There's one near Raleigh that I haven't been to yet, because I'm lazy and don't feel like driving the near hour to get to it (in a suburb on the other side of town)

Also I may be wrong, but I think Omega is only *barely* active. Hell, their website is still advertising the "upcoming" show in November.
fazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
That's awesome. If you ever do go for it my biggest suggestion is go to the most reputable school you can find.
I'm actually hoping to go to Dory Funk's school in the next few years following college.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:28 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm actually hoping to go to Dory Funk's school in the next few years following college.
No kidding that's really awesome. The Funk's are without a doubt super reputable. Also look into Tommy Dreamer's house of hardcore. I know some guys who came from that place that are pretty good. One of his students Ben "Action" Ortiz is in ROH's top prospect tournament.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I really wouldn't consider Lucha Underground and ROH an Indy because of how well they are distributed on television. PWG absolutely blows my mind with what they are doing. Shimmer is a great promotion too. Love that they completely dedicated themselves to great female wrestling. It's great seeing that you can be a star on the indies without the backing of a major company.
Well I never know what others consider Indy sometimes, so had to cover all my bases. lol And PWG just doesn't ever have a bad show in my opinion. All the guys that go through there work their asses off. And Shimmer blew my mind as soon as I first saw it. Those ladies work better matches than some guys out there. Cheerleader Melissa is without a doubt my favorite from there.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

You are a lucky man! Those shows are great and probably even better when you are there live. I have to ask if you've ever met 2 of my favorites, Johnny Gargano or Candice LeRae.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #17 (permalink)

Oh and sorry for the 3 posts in a row, but WSU is also a good company for so Women wrestling
Old 01-10-2016, 08:25 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh and sorry for the 3 posts in a row, but WSU is also a good company for so Women wrestling
Don't apologize I love talking shop with people. WSU is another good promotion. I wish WWE would do it but I understand why they don't, I love mixed gender matches. Lerae and I believe Cedric Alexander had a great match recently and Kimber Lee is chikara's grand champion.
Old 01-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

I go to NYWC shows fairly often. Mickey Whipwreck runs it and occasionally wrestles. Decent amount of talent has come form there. Zack Ryder, Curt Hawkins, Bull Dempsey plus.
Ask for my "best price" and the price will go up.
mikecala98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 11:02 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
You are a lucky man! Those shows are great and probably even better when you are there live. I have to ask if you've ever met 2 of my favorites, Johnny Gargano or Candice LeRae.
Yes, I've met Candice a few times and bought some of her cupcakes which she sells before shows (which are absolutely amazing). Going to buy a Johnny Wrestling shirt and meet Gargano at the next show in February. Have front row seats for it, and they announced the first match today: Alex Shelley vs. Candice!
Old 01-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecala98 View Post
I go to NYWC shows fairly often. Mickey Whipwreck runs it and occasionally wrestles. Decent amount of talent has come form there. Zack Ryder, Curt Hawkins, Bull Dempsey plus.
Same...Mike Mondo as well for the Spirit Squad marks.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:57 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, I've met Candice a few times and bought some of her cupcakes which she sells before shows (which are absolutely amazing). Going to buy a Johnny Wrestling shirt and meet Gargano at the next show in February. Have front row seats for it, and they announced the first match today: Alex Shelley vs. Candice!
Damn that's going to be a great match!
Old 01-11-2016, 05:32 PM   #23 (permalink)

I've been to many IWA-MS shows in the past. Ian Rotten is a piece of trash, but he would bring in many big stars before they were stars. The shows were always great. They were mostly a mix of hardcore wrestling & great technical wrestling. Much like ECW was.
Jolietracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolietracing View Post
I've been to many IWA-MS shows in the past. Ian Rotten is a piece of trash, but he would bring in many big stars before they were stars. The shows were always great. They were mostly a mix of hardcore wrestling & great technical wrestling. Much like ECW was.
Did you ever get to see any of the infamous CM Punk Chris Hero battles?
Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #25 (permalink)

No, I never did get to see those in person. Punk was already in WWE at the time. I did get see many matches with Tyler Black, Claudio Castagnoli, Sami Callahan, & a bunch of others that have gone on to become bigger stars.
Jolietracing is offline   Reply With Quote