Blowout Cards Forums
Bryce harper

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS > SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES

SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES Sketch card collection threads and artist galleries. Also any sketch card specific threads are welcome here too.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2015, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Check out my custom sketch card (soon to be) set!!

Hey guys, just wanted to share something I just received with you all. I'm very excited about this, I'm hoping to make this into a 5-6 card set, so here is the first one.

Oh, and I'm very proud to say that this ENTIRE project, from root to fruit, was done by couple of our resident BO members. The booklet itself was made by Steve, and the art by Jason Crosby. And the enjoying of the card on display by me!! lol, and now hopefully all of you too! Both people were FANTASTIC to work with. If you are familiar with Jason's work, you will notice that this concept came from his original Famous Fisticuffs set which he drew for Marvel Premier.

Scans of both sides

Here go that bad boy opened up, inside

Front and back cover, spine

Here's a shot of it in a little one touch display on a stand

I hope you guys enjoy seeing this. I'm SO happy with how this came out, everything came out beyond my expectations. Hopefully my next card is going to be Wolverine vs Lord Shingen (from the early 80's 4 part wolverine miniseries). Basically the idea for this set is Famous Fisticuffs with Wolverine and some of his enemies. What I plan to do is change the color scheme for each of the cards to match the villains, so for example the next one with Lord Shingen would be green and yellow (from his uniform in their first fight), and the one with Mystique would be like blue and red, etc.

Tell me what you guys think, what you think of my idea as an overall set, and any suggestions or comments on what you think would be cool to incorporate. Hope you enjoyed.

Also, we're all collectors and we all enjoy the same thing, so I want to share my experience with the two people involved with this project. In a sentence: absolutely, positively, 100%, HIGHLY recommend working with both Steve and Jason.

With Jason he always kept me in the loop, he always responded to any msgs, we created a rough time table and he always kept me updated throughout the process and let me know what was going on. Also, I probably put a little much on his shoulders, but I was throwing out ideas left and right and he always gave me his input which I value very much. Also, me being a student, he was more than willing to work out a payment plan to accommodate me. Very happy with the entire process, and very much looking forward to keep going with this set, I highly highly recommend anyone to work with this artist, truly a pleasure to work with. You can check out some of his work here http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/n...rt-thread.html

Working with Steve was equally as pleasant. In addition to this set I'm getting made through Jason, I also got a few blank booklets from him. This experience was really more of the same, communication was excellent, always let me know exactly where things stood and what was going on, and again, me being the undecisive person I am he was very accommodating and let me know all my options and let me choose what I thought was best for me. Again, can't recommend him enough, just such a flawless experience. You can see the blank booklets Steve makes here ***Blank Personal Sketch Card Booklets***

And just to kind of mention the product here, I know this sounds so cliche, but honest to god, the pictures simply don't do this piece justice. They really don't. (which btw, Jason if ur reading this thread and u have some better quality pictures than my crappy ones, feel free to post them). The colors are absolutely beautiful, there's so much depth and liveliness, I love how the bright and deep colors look next to each other, its so fun to look at. Also the characters themselves, I love their personality and the detail that Jason put in them. Such high quality and fun artwork. And the booklet itself is just phenomenal. The second you hold it in your hand you can tell it is VERY PREMIUM quality. I have some Marvel Premier booklets, and some are very slightly not aligned 100% correctly, or very slight warping or softening of corners, but these booklets by Steve show none of those qualities. Also just love the idea of booklets in general, definitely plan to get a few of my fave superhero teams done on some horizontal books, plus got a couple other cool ideas I hope to get done some day.

Ok, sry, I'm probably rambling, but I'm very proud, well actually Jason and Steve should be proud since they're the ones who did this excellent work, but still I'm very happy that this is something that I was able to get made all in house from within our own BO community and, I guess this is somewhat subjective but IMO, end up with a product which quality is beyond anything you'll pull from pack. So I'm very happy with that, much thanks to Jason for the beautiful artwork, Steve for the high quality booklet, and everyone for checking out my thread, I hope you enjoy my little custom set. I'll update the thread as I get new pieces in, but I'm kinda poor so it'll take kinda long, lol, probably couple months between cards. I think its gonna look AWESOME tho, this is one of the coolest things I own so I wanna share it with BO and hope you guys enjoy it too.

Last edited by nastynice; 01-16-2015 at 02:03 AM.
nastynice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 02:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Top notch work across the board. Great stuff.
daviswr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Very cool--can't wait to see the others! Thanks for posting it
Old 01-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Nasar - Glad you like my take on classic wrestling/boxing posters enough to ask me for more. More importantly, thank you for helping me complete my vision of how I wanted the original 'Famous Fisticuff' booklets to look with no time limitations.

Once we finish, the varying colors focusing on the villains will make the books 'pop' against the b/w figures.

As always, Steve's booklets are on par (and BETTER) than most of the company issued cards. He's your go-to-man if you're in need of a blank booklet for a project. There are also rumors he might be working on multi-panel blanks too!

Thanks again, Nasar and Steve!
Old 01-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you Nasar. It was a pleasure to work with you and I'm very happy you are enjoying the booklets.

Thanks Jason. As always your illustrations continue to AMAZE with every post that pops up. I am looking forward to Nasar's next installment.

I can't stress enough complimenting the VERY talented artists (you know who are) who continue to illustrate my booklets and the honor I receive from that.

Thanks to ALL!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Galactus and Thanos would be a cool one
Old 01-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Very cool. I always liked Wolvie vs Omega Red
Old 01-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Nice stuff!
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoniron7 View Post
Galactus and Thanos would be a cool one
yea it would be! Don't give me more ideas now, my wallet will hate you!!
Old 01-28-2015, 02:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Very cool. I always liked Wolvie vs Omega Red
yup!

I came up during the whole comic book explosion era of the early 90's, and so while Wolvie vs Omega Red isn't really all that big a rivalry historically, to me its one of my favorite and imo one of the best. Love seeing these guys clash.

too bad omega red was never in the sega game
Old 01-28-2015, 03:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRCrosby View Post
There are also rumors he might be working on multi-panel blanks too!
oh wow!!

so many...ideas...running through head...

lol
Old 03-14-2015, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Look what little surprise I got today! Wolverine vs Lord Shingen, from the early 80's Claremont/Miller mini series.

So that puts the set at 2 cards now! Here they are together

Big up to Jason for the stunning artwork and Steve for high quality booklet. Again, pictures just don't do this thing justice. The card just POPS when you look at it, absolutely phenomenal artwork, and the booklet is so dense, heavy, and sturdy, real high grade stuff. Love how this is coming out, can't wait to keep adding to it!

Last edited by nastynice; 03-14-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

oh, I just realized there's a new sketch card art and gallery subforum, mods please move this thread over if possible. thanks.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

very nice ..
wolverine vs .. is an extensive list (dont know shingen) .. but quality art / design

keep em coming
W: http://cardbucket.blogspot.com/p/wants.html
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Shingen was Wolvie's soon to be father in law (Mariko's pop dukes). Needless to say, he opposed the wedding...lol
Old 03-19-2015, 02:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Great stuff Nasar and Jason! I look forward to the installment.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
Shingen was Wolvie's soon to be father in law (Mariko's pop dukes). Needless to say, he opposed the wedding...lol
ahh got it
thx
W: http://cardbucket.blogspot.com/p/wants.html
ricksam is offline   Reply With Quote