Blowout Cards Forums
REMIX

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS > SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES

SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES Sketch card collection threads and artist galleries. Also any sketch card specific threads are welcome here too.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Island of Under-Appreciated Sketch Card Artists

This thread is to post works of those sketch card artists who continue to produce top notch stuff set after set, but for whatever reason, the prices of their cards often don't reflect the level of their artistic talent.

My first nominee:

Juno Sanchez

Juno Sanchez is pretty much on every other Marvel set, and I am often surprised at how low some of Juno's cards sell for. I think Juno does a great job of incorporating the Manga-style (which is surprisingly not that common in sketch cards) to provide a unique spin on some of my favorite Marvel characters. Each piece seems to have a life of its own that simply jumps off the page (err... card).

The above Rocket Raccoon is a perfect example. I love Rocket, but I acknowledge he is a tough character to draw. Search eBay and you will find a TON of horrible sketch cards of him by people whose parents should never have encouraged them to draw. Juno Sanchez is the REAL deal... you should definitely give Juno's art a second look.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

I agree, I have many of Juno's cards from several sets and really enjoy Juno's work. I'm always surprised on how cheap Juno's cards are.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to FlashKV0785

definitely Humberto Fuentes.. Although it kind of urks me he makes all women in marvel look spanish.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think, if you want to support your statement that Rocket is tough to draw, you should say that ebay is full of terrible Rocket sketches by otherwise talented artists.

Two that are always top of mind to me are Mauro Fordra and Jomar Bulda. They produce some excellent sketches, but like Juno, there is a level of inconsistency that drives their sketch card prices down in general.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think, in some instances, the subject matter seems to have more effect on "value" than the art quality. I love MJ Pajaron's work with watercolors, etc. Apparently people who collect Marvel/DC sets do not. I haven't looked yet today, but I'm pretty sure there are a few with BINs for under $50. There were some for $25 not long ago. Now, take a look at her work for stuff like Game of Thrones. It pulls $400 to $600. Quite the interesting comparison of appreciation from 2 different collector bases.
Do you "work" for TOPPS? Since no one answers phones, emails or customer service inquiries via the website or facebook, hit me up about that 2012 Jim Brown Five Star Autograph. Thanks! Initial inquiry sent Jan 2015. Months with no response - 3.
nabzy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirem13 View Post
I agree, I have many of Juno's cards from several sets and really enjoy Juno's work. I'm always surprised on how cheap Juno's cards are.
Cool... can you post a handful of your favorite Juno cards in your collection? I love to see this stuff (and I promise not to shoot you an annoying ... "How much do you want for...?" PM).
Old 02-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabzy28 View Post
I think, in some instances, the subject matter seems to have more effect on "value" than the art quality. I love MJ Pajaron's work with watercolors, etc. Apparently people who collect Marvel/DC sets do not. I haven't looked yet today, but I'm pretty sure there are a few with BINs for under $50. There were some for $25 not long ago. Now, take a look at her work for stuff like Game of Thrones. It pulls $400 to $600. Quite the interesting comparison of appreciation from 2 different collector bases.
Well... I think there are two factors there. Unless there are $25 GoT sketches flying around by other artists? But her Marvel stuff has dropped off quite a bit. I also enjoy her work, and 2 years ago you couldn't find a card under $80. Now, you can easily buy a very nice card for $30-$50. I can't say I'm personally disappointed by this, but I can imagine somebody who spent a lot of money collector her cards a couple of years ago might be very upset.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think, if you want to support your statement that Rocket is tough to draw, you should say that ebay is full of terrible Rocket sketches by otherwise talented artists.

Two that are always top of mind to me are Mauro Fordra and Jomar Bulda. They produce some excellent sketches, but like Juno, there is a level of inconsistency that drives their sketch card prices down in general.
Jomar Bulda is another great example... He has produced some of my favorite Rocket cards in my collection:

Both of those cards I would have probably paid double what they went for. He does great stuff!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)

Carnage is one of my favorite characters to collect, and Jomar's style suits Carnage very well
Old 02-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

My favorite PC Bulda

My favorite PC Fordra

Old 02-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

Wow... both are fantastic!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Skaughtt0 Send a message via AIM to Skaughtt0

Juno Sanchez's cards always catch my eye. I really like the dynamic wide-angle perspectives, but I don't own any.

Mauro Fodra made one of my absolute fav Daredevil cards:

I have a few Jomar Bulda cards and really like his technique:

They can be kind of rough though.

---

Albert Morales produces some extremely cool cards:

Alex Magno would be my pick for most under-appreciated(and prolific):

I really wish I had contact info to commission a few of these guys. Most of them are out of the US.
Skaughtt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Still more great examples... and Alex Magno is definitely another guy who produces quality cards that sell for a pittance.

As expected, I have a Rocket Raccoon example of an Alex Magno card:

He is a true artist. Once again, the art just jumps off the card. You can tell he is not tracing from another source (which is a habit the PLAGUES the whole hobby and even top-dollar talent). He is just drawing what he likes! And I love his stuff!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Man, I was glad to see Alex Magno on this list. I love his style. Elliot Fernandez, Babisu, Chris Foreman, Glauco Silva, Gavin Hunt, Amy Clark Anderson, among others. All great, all deserve more love, and people deserve to have their art in their own collections.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecthomas View Post
Man, I was glad to see Alex Magno on this list. I love his style. Elliot Fernandez, Babisu, Chris Foreman, Glauco Silva, Gavin Hunt, Amy Clark Anderson, among others. All great, all deserve more love, and people deserve to have their art in their own collections.
Gavin Hunt's cards actually have taken off. His recent pull in the Blowout Marvel Premier break was pick #1 (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/a...continues.html ).

Of your list, I have seen a few Babisu's cards top $100's, but you are right that quite a few go much cheaper. I love his art (and his sister Natasa/Tansas)...

Here are some of Babisu's cards I am proud to have i my collection... He really shined on IM3:

The guy is a superstar. His cards have a lot of energy, and he is an expert of coloring/lighting his cards. Talent runs deep in the Kourtis family!!!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Here's my take, All art posted except that Juno rocket card are sloppy. It's a style they chose to do. But inherent with what is perceived as sloppy is the word rushed. You guys may like their style but I'd say the general sketch card buyers just look right past stuff perceived as rushed and sloppy. Wobbly linework, lines that don't match up or meet properly again looks rushed and sloppy. Not to be harsh because I'm friendly with some of these guys, but if they drew comics I would walk right past them if the cover art was as sloppy looking. Again it's a style but to me it's not a fully developed style
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #17 (permalink)

And believe me I've turned in my share of sloppy art on some sets. Just rushed them out
justice41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

I've always enjoyed Adam Cleveland's work (save for that god awful Mandy baby bottle/crib stuff)
kerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:21 AM   #19 (permalink)

thomas boatwright is one of the most underated artists i can think of. you either like his art, or you dont. hes on of my top 10 favoriteartisrs to date.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecthomas View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfangfan View Post
Gavin Hunt's cards actually have taken off. His recent pull in the Blowout Marvel Premier break was pick #1 (http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/a...continues.html ).

Of your list, I have seen a few Babisu's cards top $100's, but you are right that quite a few go much cheaper. I love his art (and his sister Natasa/Tansas)...

The guy is a superstar. His cards have a lot of energy, and he is an expert of coloring/lighting his cards. Talent runs deep in the Kourtis family!!!

Thanks for the mention! Thanks for the Wolvo link.. I would've missed that otherwise!
I think until very recently quite a bit of my sketch work did pass beneath the radar (so to speak)! Topps SW Masterworks has been a great platform this past month. Although comic artwork is most definitely not my speciality I did give Marvel Premier 2014 a go. However as far as I'm aware a majority of my cards didn't surface. Definitely went off with a fizzle rather than a bang!

Anyway.. just to confirm I did actually work on the set.. Here's a few of my favourites!

Old 02-28-2015, 08:07 AM   #21 (permalink)

Great topic!

Going by "work I think is a bargain", there's a few who come to mind: Amber Shelton, Kat Laurange, Cruddie Torian, Puis Calzada, Robert Jimenez, Mel Uran, Cyrus Mesarcia (more his 2012 Premier stuff), Bukshot, Frankie B. Washington, Chris Foreman, Charles Holbert

But my #1 would be Lak Lim

Exhibit A: lak lim sketch | eBay

If you've ever seen Lak's work up close, you know the amazing level of detail he puts into his work.

Some examples:

Old 02-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirem13 View Post
I also agree. I only have one of Juno's sketches but I really like it.

orfew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:51 PM   #23 (permalink)

Juno Sanchez has become one of my favorite artists on Marvel sets. Here are some sketch cards that I was lucky enough to get.

ElainePerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #24 (permalink)

I also really like Eric McConnell's & Jeanette Swift's art.

ElainePerna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #25 (permalink)

Cool thread. I agree on Thomas Boatwright and I've always enjoyed Chris Henderson's work, he doesn't always get mentioned as a top artist but he deserves it.
scotthouseman is offline   Reply With Quote