Blowout Cards Forums
kris bryant

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS > SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES

SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES Sketch card collection threads and artist galleries. Also any sketch card specific threads are welcome here too.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Finfangfan's Sketch Card Collection

WORK IN PROGRESS

My sketch card collection began humbly with the purchase of this Brent Engstrom Fin Fang Foom* card:

I found it via an eBay search for "Fin Fang Foom" back in 2008, and I never even knew sketch cards were a thing until then.

After winning this one, I decided to monitor eBay for other Marvel Masterpieces 2 cards from artists I knew from the comics. My collecting habits basically centered on these 3 artists:

Mike Kunkel. I loved Hero Bear and the Kid back in the day, and was quickly able to snatch up about a half dozen of his cards. I even got into my first real bidding war for the Black and White Spidey, but I had the benefit of a 25% off eBay coupon that helped me outbid the dude.

Here are the Kunkel cards I have managed to acquire:

The next artist I was looking for was Jim Mahfood. I really loved his artwork over the years. From Clerks to Stupid Comics, I just dug his style. I was able to nab the MM2 Daredevil first, and then I went on to collect cards he did for other sets. His Ghost Rider (which is the current image I use under my Blowout ID) is probably one of my favorite sketch card purchases to date. My mom was recovering from a blood clot in the hospital, and I spent most of a week just spending time with her in her hospital room (she slept a lot). This GR card popped up with a rather high BIN, but through a combination of circumstances and boredom (I literally spent most of that week in her hospital room)... I pulled the trigger. I love it!

Here are all the Jim Mahfood cards I have nabbed so far:

Skottie Young. I had met him in the early 2000's at a Baltimore Comic Convention, and I have been a fan of his art since. Ironically, when I bought the first card of his for my collection (Dead Girl), it was identified as a Carlo Soriano card on Scoundrel. Subsequently the seller corrected himself and told me it was a Skottie Young card. I ended up paying a lot more than I initially would have had it been a Soriano. I am always looking for Skottie Young cards (he only did 20 for the set), and so far have been able to snag these 3:

* = I ended up selling my very first sketch card (the Engstrom Fin Fang Foom) to the "Engstrom Collector" on Scoundrel for about 4 times what I paid for it. I wasn't even trying to play hard to get (it was an unsellable card for me), but when he offered the amount I said "sure" in like 2 seconds. Weird how that goes!

Last edited by finfangfan; 03-06-2015 at 06:50 PM.
finfangfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

In early 2009, I was basically totally in love with the hobby. I was actively browsing the Scoundrel forums, and looking for new sets to buy. Star Wars Galaxy 4 fit the bill. There was early pre-sell information about an experimental subset coming out that would feature die-cut sketches on cards shaped like Darth Vader and Stormtrooper helmets by underground artists known for their urban vinyl toy art, and/or graffiti art.

I picked up quite a few artists, but I think my favorite was KaToPe from Japan. I just loved how his art stood out from all the rest in a Star Wars set (primarily because it didn't feature Star Wars characters, but also because it was awesome!) It was also highly collected by other members of the Scoundrel boards:

I have been able to nab these KaToPe cards so far:

Stormtroopers:

Vaders

Other artists I collected were Sucklord (the guy who put the whole set together), Phetus, and oh yeah... Mike Leavitt (who I will save for another post below).

Keeping with the diecut theme... Star Wars Galaxy 5 (2010) also had a diecut set, but it was unfortunately marred by production errors which crimped many cards. I didn't actively collect too many from this set.

Fast forward to 2011, and there was a brand new diecut set released. The diecuts were really selling for a premium (to me at least) and I focused on just one artist that caught my eye... Aya Kakeda. She is a pretty famous artist who is known for her dunny figures. She also has collaborated on a kids book, and her art has appeared in many galleries.

I loved the "cute" style of her diecuts, and managed to nab quite a few. I even commissioned her to do a painting of Yoda for me that hangs in my office at work (I will try to scan later).

Here are the cards that I have managed to nab that Aya did:

Last edited by finfangfan; 03-20-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Agnes Garbowska Collection

Star Wars Galaxy 6

Star Wars Galaxy 7

Last edited by finfangfan; 03-20-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Dan Brereton Collection

Last edited by finfangfan; 03-20-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Natasa Kourti Collection

Marvel Beginnings 3

Marvel Premier 2012

Marvel Premier 2014

Iron Man 3

Marvel Fleer Retro 2013

Adventure Time (2014)

Miscellaneous

Last edited by finfangfan; 03-20-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Babisu Kourtis Collection Would love to pick up a few more of his from the IM3 set (not the tank one that has been up on eBay forever though!)

My John Tyler Christopher Iron Man 2 Collection

My Sean Phillips Collection from Marvel Masterpieces 2

My Jeff Matsuda Collection from Marvel Masterpieces 3

My David Williams Collection from Marvel Masterpieces 2

Last edited by finfangfan; 03-20-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Pat Boutin Collection

Pat Boutin Thor: Dark World sketches

Pat Boutin Marvel Retro sketches

Last edited by finfangfan; 03-20-2015 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

BUMP #1 of 2 ... I will likely post my rocket raccoon sketches here this weekend..

and...
Old 03-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

BUMP #2 of 2 ... I will likely post other sketches here this weekend... stay tuned!
Old 03-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

cool cards you've posted so far, looking forward to seeing the rest!
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Great cards! I think we have a similar taste in sketches. I am looking forward to seeing the rest!

67 Sketch Cards and Counting!
BuffyCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Awesome collection!
www.facebook.com/TikiTower
Zerostreet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Some amazing cards man!!

First off, Pat Boutin, wow! My own artist knowledge is admittedly limited because aside from Adventure Time and a SW here and there, I have not ventured outside of Middle Earth. Pat's style is extremely cool - the Daredevil in particular, it's simple but it also perfectly captures his essence.

Babisu and Tansa: I'm super late to appreciating these two amazing talents, but thankfully Adventure Time gave me an introduction. Both are wonderful artists. For Babisu, Tony in the lab really grabs me, and for Tansa it's the simple Finn with his sword. Her stylistic faces and cheekbones really pop!

KaToPe and Aya Kakeda are really revelations for me - I agree completely with your assessment - VERY cool styles that really stand out from the crowd. Agnes Garbowska to me actually evokes Katie Cook when I look at them - cartoony and almost deceptively simple, yet it perfectly captures the essence of the scene she is drawing.

John Tyler Christopher, holy crap, what an amazingly clean and crisp inker! Love those Iron Man shots! Dan Brereton has a wonderful coloring style - while Mars Attacks never resonated with me personally I can completely see why you like this guy, very sweet cards!! Those Sean Phillips Spidey cards are quite good - at first I thought the blue was leftover pencil from the rough drawing stage, but then it hit me they were a stylistic add, interesting choice!

And finally Matsuda, what a super-cool style - I absolutely adore the Puck, but there's no doubt in my mind that the Wolverine shot is the absolute gem of your collection, what an amazing card!

Congrats to such a stellar collection, and I look forward to watching it grow!
mf1971999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #14 (permalink)

Really cool collection--look forward to seeing your Rockets and it's great seeing some different artists in your PC outside of the usual suspects.