Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS > SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES

SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES Sketch card collection threads and artist galleries. Also any sketch card specific threads are welcome here too.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Matt's LOTR Sketch Card Collection - Updated 5/15/16

So as you may have seen, my ultimate goal is to storyboard out the three LOTR films using sketch cards. So far I've posted my FOTR cards and I'll bring TTT over shortly. In some senses this is duplication, because this is my entire LOTR collection sorted by Artist, so the cards are all in one place. This is my obsession, no question. I'm always looking for more, so if you have some and would consider a sale or trade, hit me up. And if you have a piece of a puzzle I need, feel free to rake me over the coals.

The cards on the two different LOTR stock are my own custom PSC cards commissioned directly from the artists. If the artist was on the official set I am including their PSC cards with their official cards. If the were not on the official set you will find them at the end after Z in the PSC section.

Within my collection are three Master Sets, meaning I have at least one card from every artist from the Evolution, Masterpieces 1 and Masterpieces 2 sets.

Also, my Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey cards can be seen here: Matt's Hobbit AUJ Sketch Card Collection

My Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug cards can be seen here: Matt's Hobbit DoS Sketch Collection

In addition, my true goal is to use the sketch cards to storyboard out the three films in the trilogy.

My Fellowship of the Ring Storyboard Project is HERE and my Two Towers Storyboard Project is HERE.

Without further ado, let's begin.

Irma "Aimo" Ahmed:
Irma is, simply put, a phenomenal artist. Her style has clear anime-influences but drawn from western styles as well, creating a wonderfully unique style all her own. She contributed 256 cards to the Masterpieces II (which was her first official sketch card job) set with about 30 of them being full color and another 50 or so having a slight splash of color highlights. She also had six AR cards from the set.

Most of her cards can be seen HERE on lotrsketches

To see more of her art I suggest her Tumblr or her Deviant Art pages. She also has some wonderful art available on her Artfire page.

The first card (the One Ring) is an AR acquired directly from Irma. The PSC cards were all commissioned directly from her.

Noah Albrecht:
Noah seems to have come and gone relatively quickly in the sketch card world, which unfortunately is a relatively common occurrence it seems. It is a shame because his wonderful cartoon style graced the MII set as well as Heroes and Indiana Jones Crystal Skull and then was gone from the tiny cardboard realm. He contributed 256 cards to the MII set with either 8 or 9 AR cards.

You can see Noah's MII contributions HERE and you can follow his Tumblr where he still posts some of his artwork.

At first having only 3 cards from Noah seems low, but when the first two are Artist Returns as these are, then I can live with having just three.

Soni Alcorn-Hender
In the sketch-card world there are some true Rock Stars, some even recognized by a single name, and Soni is at the top of that list. Her followers put the FAN in Fanatical (I count myself in there), and her cards are the source of some epic eBay bidding wars on those occasions when they appear. Her style, simply put, is borderline magical and dreamlike. She has worked on countless sketch card sets and continues to work on current sets here in 2015, with recent contributions to the first Hobbit set and several sets from Perna Studios. She contributed 159 cards to the MII set with 9 of them being ARs.

Her contributions to the MII set can be seen HERE. You can also jump to her Website or follow her on Facebook.

Having only a few Soni cards is a good and a bad thing. It's good because I have the only oil card she did for the set in the Aragorn card, and I pulled the weasel card myself. It's bad because I want MORE, and no one wants to part with them!! Or do they .... ?

Soni's PSC Cards:

Brian Ashmore
Brian came onto the sketch card scene working on MII as well as Heroes and Clone Wars, and then has seeming left the sketch card world for larger surfaces. While a disappointment for those of us who collect these cards, when you check out his Website you will see that his talent is simply off the charts, and those large canvases are being put to good use.

Brian contributed somewhere in the 150 range if I had to guess, based on knowing that he got six AR cards. You can see a few of his cards HERE (the 6 darker cards are his returns) but unfortunately scans of all of his cards are not available.

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 12:51 PM.
mf1971999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default part 2

Kyle Babbitt
Kyle stepped into Middle Earth of the M1 set and immediately made a huge splash. What I find most amazing is to look at the development of his form from M1 to M2. He's already doing some incredible work on M1, but then on M2 he just stepped it up to a new level ... and let's not even talk about his outpt in 2014-15 on the Hobbit sets. His continued growth into one of the absolute best in the sketch card world is a treat for us collectors.

Kyle's M1 work can be seen HERE and his MII work can be found HERE.

Frodo holding his head as the ring calls out to him is an Artist Return.

Kyle Babbitt PSCs:

Paul Ballard
Paul is a wonderful artist who did some breathtaking work on the Topps LoTR sets. You can visit his website HERE, follow him on Twitter, or check him out on Pinterest.

The 3-card puzzle is an Artist Proof. Talk about stunning!!

Len Bellinger
Len's work is known well in this community so I won't go heavy on the superlatives. Amazing artist, wonderful guy, the cards speak for themselves. Among the absolute best cards in my collection. His website shows off his amazing contemporary art.

The first three cards are Artist Returns.

Joseph Booth
Would love to have seen how his already excellent style would have continued to evolve if he did MII. You can view more of his M1 work here and his Evo work here. Love my Aragorn!

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-08-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default part 3

Kate Bradley
Love the first one ... so beautiful. All of hers are simply amazing.

Kate Bradley's PSC Cards:

Spencer Brinkerhoff
Very cool style here, wish I had a few more but have to settle for two.

Dave Bryant
Dave's color work is incredible! The first SIX cards are all Artist Return purchased directly from Dave.

Evan Bryce

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default part 4

Dennis Budd
What can you say about a guy this talented? I love my two sepia wash pieces below, really adds some emotion to the work. The M1 Nazgul is easily one of my top pulls ever. The color Evolution cards are after markets. The Aragorn with sword (first card) is one of Dennis' Artist Return cards.

Alex Buechel
Another where I wish I had more pieces, but my first two-panel piece I think makes up for the quantity issue in quality. Eowyn is an Artist Return.
[IMG][/IMG]

James "Bukshot" Bukauskas
One of the most distinctive styles in the MII set by far. Once I discovered he was a tattoo artist his style made perfect sense, and some of these would be amazing ink pieces! I've got a commission order in with him and I've seen the pencils, can't wait to share them!

Matt Busch
Love the Balrog, looks cool and menacing.

Last edited by mf1971999; 12-12-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default part 5

Jeff Carlisle
One of the most challenging cards to track down for my MII Master Set. Couldn't be happier with the results.

Jeff Chandler
Loving his style, and having two full colors and a color pencil as my samples doesnt burt. Very cool stuff. All of the Evo cards are Pack Pulled unless otherwise noted (including the Aragorn on Weathertop, which I pulled myself).

Justin Chung
Super-clean pencil work, lovely features on his ladies, can't go wrong with these.

Hamilton Cline
Love his toned Legolas piece, the peaceful Gollum in freefall, and the very expressive Eomer. Good stuff.

Hamilton Cline PSCs:

Katie Cook
It's Katie Cook, what else do I need to say? The first five card (One More Step, It Comes in Pints, You Shall Not Pass, Murderer and Aragorn and Arwen) are Artist Returns.

Katie Cook PSCs:

Last edited by mf1971999; 12-18-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default part 6

Dan Cooney
Love his subtle color pencils, and these puzzles are pure win.

Megan Correnti
Super cute style, I love her work!!! More Lembas is far and away my favorite.

Joe Corroney
His detail is so good, every one of these screams quality. You can see the drool on the Mouth and the pure beauty of Arwen. The stunning Galadriel is an Artist Return.

Doug Cowan
The Aragorn was picked up at the 2012 Celebration convention in Florida from Dave himself. It's an artist return, and also his only painted card in the set. He was one of the artists asked to do more cards towards the deadline to make up for shortages, so he went from 6 to 9 returns. This card originally was a sketch but he didnt like it so he ended up painting over it and keeping it as a return. Love it.

Cynthia Cummens
The four card puzzle is among my absolute favorites in my collection, but really all of her work is stunning.

Last edited by mf1971999; 12-18-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default part 7

Renae DeLiz
Simply stunning stuff here. I'm thrilled to own TWO of the rare MII cards (she only made 17), but her other work is equally impressive. The Hobbits hiding are lovely in person, the flower is wonderfully nuanced, the Gandalf courtyard scene ... I could go on and on about her wonderful work here.

Renae's PSC Cards:

Thomas Denmark
I really like his simple style - nothing too fancy, just solid artwork.

Otto Dieffenbach
A seriously varied body of work - and another artist whose style has really grown on me over time. The Last March of the Ents puzzle is a stunner. The first Legolas is an Artist Return.

Ray Dillon
I love the Theoden, but the Sam carrying Frodo up Mt. Doom is a favorite. But now that I have all three of the Poster Set ... good lord they are good. The incomplete puzzle pieces are all amazing cards on their own. What's not to love - his cards are incredible!!!

Ray's PSC Cards:

Last edited by mf1971999; 12-18-2015 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default part 8

Colleen Doran
Said it before, she's got a great, light pencil style which really shows the emotions. The first six cards are Artist Returns, all M2 cards acquired directly from Colleen.

Dave Dorman
Finally managed to track down an Artist Return from Dave, the Balrog is one of his three ARs from the Evolution set, and one of the three painted cards he did for the set. It's a beauty.

Kevin Doyle
Such a refined style, his portraits are easily among the finest in the sets.

Michael Locoduck Duron
I have to admit that when I got my first Locoduck, I really liked it but I wasn't won over. But as I started to see the breadth of his work, and especially the scenes he's done, he's evolved into one of my absolute favorite artists across all of the sets, a hands-down Top Five for me. The first two scans are Artist Returns, as is the center card of the Arwen triptych. 61 cards and climbing ....

Michael Duron PSCs:

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default part 9

Jan Duursema
The ladies are exquisite and the monsters are frightening, what more can you ask for?

Darla Ecklund
The eyes .... can't stop looking at the eyes .... But Shadowfax may be my favorite.

Nina Edlund
Nina's cartoon style really has a way of pulling you into the card and holding your attention, probably due in large part to the incredible details like the etching on Galadriel and her rich colors. Amazing stuff.

Chris Eliopoulos
Another where I only have one for the Master Set, but I wish I had more.

Last edited by mf1971999; 06-15-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default part 10

Brent Engstrom
Bold, emotive sketches and a stellar stylistic approach, what's not to love?

Scott Erwert
Good stuff here, another where I wish I had a bigger sample. The color Evolution cards are after markets except for the first Gollum, which was a pack pull.

Davide Fabbri
Such a large, impressive body of work - his ring wraiths are stunning. His ability to crank out a huge volume AND to keep such high quality boggles the mind.

Nicole Falk
Nicole Falk has steadily grown into one of my absolute favorite M2 artists. Her use of color and ability to capture the heart of a scene is right up there with Katie Cook and Michael Duron in my opinion. Her unique style fills each card with a wonderful sense of whimsy.

Last edited by mf1971999; 02-21-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default part 11

Roberto Flores
A very straight forward style, good stuff.

Tess Fowler
How do I pick a favorite from these cards? The boat brings out the emotion of the scene, the elves are lovely, the leaf ... all splendid pieces!

Dave Fox
One of my absolute favorites, his style is just incomparable. Love each and every one of these.

Otis Frampton
I absolutely adore Otis' work. His style is able to perfectly capture the essence of Middle Earth which a touch of whimsy. The Aragorn at Helm's Deep is an Artist Return. All of the full-color Evolution cards are after-markets.

Last edited by mf1971999; 12-18-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default part 12

Bruce Gerlach
Bruce has a wonderful style - his ink cards with their detailed linework are stunning portrayals of Middle Earth.

Bruce's PSCs:

Zach Giallongo
Love me those eagles!

Matthew Goodmanson
Frodo, the king with the ring, the wedding silhouette. its tough to pick a favorite. Lots of solid cards here.

Grant Gould
Grant did three sets of 20 numbered scene cards, one from each film in the trilogy, for the Masterpieces 1 set. I've been able to assemble 26 of those 60 cards. I think these are among the very finest scene cards in the set. The first two cards (Arwen and Gimli) are Artist Returns.

Last edited by mf1971999; 10-23-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:20 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default part 13

Kevin Graham
The first Denethor below is far and away my favorite piece of his - so good! With a pair of puzzles to chase, I'll be watching for Kevin Graham cards for a very long time I think.

Paul Gutierrez
His colored pencils are light and sublime, but the first piece below stands out among his body of work for me. Recently added the three card aftermarket at the end as well, another gem, and who knows what the future may hold All color Evo cards are After Markets unless otherwise noted (Frodo and Gandalf at the gates of Moria was pack-inserted).

Patrick Hamill
The Gollum puzzle is fantastic. The Gollum pool shot and the Arwen bridge cards are incredible in person - the scanner can't capture the depth conveyed in the paint layers, and the color Eye/Ring card is an absolute beauty.

Ingrid Hardy
While all are incredible, the first two are so detailed and nuanced that it is tough to appreciate the fully from the scans, and the puzzle will be my white whale as I search out its mate.

Ingrid Hardy PSCs:

Last edited by mf1971999; 06-05-2016 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default part something or other

Chris Henderson
Chris is both an unbelievable talent and a super-cool guy. If you want one of his cards on ebay, watch out for my snipes! Cards 1 and 2 in the top row are both Artist Returns. The Gandalf cart, the lovely Arwen with the blue eyes, Sam and Rosie ... I could go on about each card. Frodo yelling to Sam and Toothy Gollum really stand out and show just how good Chris' work for this set was.

Tristan Henry-Wilson
Mostly rushed sketches in the truest sense of the sketch card definition, which if you've seen his other art is an absolute shame, because he has LOADS of talent. I love the card of the ring being picked up as Sauron's hand disintegrates, so I really can't complain, however. I've added my custom PSC card he did for me so you can see just how incredible his work really is.

Tristan's PSCs:

Gabriel Hernandez
The right-hand side of the Gandalf puzzle is an Artist Return. I'm really at a loss trying to explain how stunning this two-carder is in person. Unbelievable talent here.

Jessica Hickman
I love her colors and her ability to capture the essence of a scene. Gandalf riding out from Minas Tirith is among my favorite scenes in my collection and is an Artist Return.

Jessica's PSCs:

Last edited by mf1971999; 12-18-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default part 15

Tom Hodges
The first two cards are Artist Returns. Deliciousness. All of the color Evolution cards are After Markets.

James Hodgkins
I got crushed on the bidding for his M1 Legolas, but I'm glad I ended up winning it, it's a beauty. The Gimli is an Artist Return.

Josh Howard
The Arwen is an Artist Return. The Frodo is a great color piece, love the somewhat playful expression. Josh's smooth style is a perfect fit for Middle Earth.

Mary Huang
Mary's rich colors and unique style are an absolute treat. Arwen is decorated with silver ink that doesn't show well on the scan but is stunning in person, and Merry & Pippin in Saruman's storeroom is one of my absolute favorite cards.

Last edited by mf1971999; 10-16-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Default part 16

Chad Hurd
The snow bound hobbit is still one of my favorite pack-pulls.

Rafael Kayanan
I've been quietly building up a nice little set of cards from Rafael, and with these I have to say I am very happy with my set so far!!

Lee Kohse
I just love Lee's work, so very detailed. The Aragorn is an Artist Return.

Brian Kong
Love Brian's work, and he's another where I wish I could readily get my hands on more of his pieces.

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default part 18 maybe?

Karen Krajenbrink
Love the Sam, and another puzzle to keep me questing.

Jim Kyle
I've recently managed to acquire Artist Returns from both the M1 and M2 sets by Jim (the first two cards below). The Balrog is hard to describe because the scan can't capture the nuanced brush strokes, and Boromor is simply a true work of art. The painted tower scene is clearly a masterpiece, but the level of detail on the pencil Gimli is hard to describe. And my three-card Fellowship marching puzzle ... I drool every time I see it's rich hues. This guy is goooood.

Ray Lago
Ray is far and away one of the most talented artists to work on these sets, and these cards demonstrate that without a doubt. The painted full color cards were all done after the sets were released.

Peter Lazarski
One for the set, but again, more from him would be wonderful, he's got loads of talent.

Last edited by mf1971999; 06-24-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default the real part 18

Mike Lilly
I love Mike's bold colors and strong lines, his cards are a treat.

Wayne Lo
Wayne's inks are great and a compliment to his wonderful style.

Tom Mandrake Gollum is an after market.

Leah Mangue
The 3-card and 2-card puzzles are artist proofs. Legolas is one of my favorite cards, period.

Last edited by mf1971999; 02-21-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Default part 19

Randy Martinez
Randy's talent is hard to describe, and I have a whole mess of cards from him waiting to be posted here.

Randy Martinez PSCs:

Clay McCormack

John McCrea

Mark McHaley
My god, his color work is just incredible. I had a stunning Arwen, but it was the centerpiece of a trade, and I just traded away an amazing Aragorn. The Balrog and WIKing acquisitions below made the trades more bearable.

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Default part 20

Brandon McKinney
The Boromir is an Artist Return.

Steven Miller
One of my Top 3 artists, easily. His detailed line work and coloring are unbelievable. The first five cards (the puzzle counts as 2) are all Artist Returns..

Jake Minor

Mary Mitchell

Last edited by mf1971999; 02-21-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #21 (permalink)

Default part 21

Rich Molinelli
The first card is an Artist Return, and in my opinion card 2 could have been. Love them both! Missing one panel in the puzzle below - if you have it, you've got my attention, drop me a line! I've also got four of his eight ring cards. The custom PSC cards he did for me on my stock are included below, and I think they came out amazing!

Carly Monardo

Monte Moore
The first two cards are both Artist Returns.

Jon Morris
I have to say I am a HUGE fan of Jon, love his work, and his cartoony style still manages to convey the feelings of the scenes in questions. Just added a ton of cards of his, could not be happier with my growing Jon Morris collection!! The top row are all Artist Return cards.

Last edited by mf1971999; 12-18-2015 at 08:06 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:26 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default part 22

Joanne Ellen Mutch
Joanne's work is really fantastic over the sets. The first card below is an Artist Return.

Jake Myler
Jake's wonderful painted work grows more impressive every time I look at his cards - simply amazing stuff!

Nik Necoleous
The Gollum 2-parter is one of Nik's 9-back Artist Returns. Gimli was pack-inserted and re-assembled in 2014. Still hoping to finish Snaga one day.

Dan Norton

Steve Oatney
Love his work - the two-parter was re-united in 2014.

Jon Ocampo
Galadriel in her boat is an Artist Return.

Mike Oeming
Mike is a comic book God, and I am a HUGE fan of Powers, so having some of his original art from Middle Earth is an absolute treat! His style is just so damn cool!

William O'Neill
William's simple, clean lines really capture the essence of his subjects. Great stuff!

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #23 (permalink)

Default part 23

Shelli Paroline
Shelli's cute style meshes perfectly with the more whimsical scenes from the trilogies. I love so much about her work, but mostly I think it is her ability to portray the vulnerability of the hobbits that grabs my attention.

Dan Parsons
These color cards are all After Markets done by Dan, his talent is immediately apparent, as all are incredible cards.

Don Pedicini Jr.
The color Aragorn is an Artist Return.

Sean Pence
Sean Pence ... honestly what superlatives can I lob his way that haven't been used. If you know sketch cards, you know Sean. He's the Tom Brady of sketch cards. Every one of these is a gem.

Sean 's PSC cards:

Last edited by mf1971999; 11-07-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default part 24

Tony Perna
Tony is not only a gifted sketch card artist, but also the founder of his own sketch card company. I was thrilled when I reunited Merry and Pippin below.

Connie Persampieri
Connie's works is vibrant and wonderfully detailed, I'm always on the look out for more.

Jason Keith Phillips
I am a HUGE fan of Jason's work - he put out a large volume of cards without sacrificing quality, and his stylized work really stands out!!

Killian Plunkett
This guy is one of the all time greats, and the mere fact that he contributed to this set was amazing. The Frodo with the ring's reflection is an Artist return.

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:28 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default part 25

Jason Potratz
Finally got the last hurdles to my MII master set, a solo Jason Potratz was one of them. Hard to find is an understatement!

Jason Potratz & Jack Hai

The talent level on these two guys is off the chart. Truly an epic pairing. The 9-card fellowship set was my first major acquisition and really put me onto the path of pure obsession over these little cardboard gems. Scoundrel Jack will always have my thanks for both managing to collect these in the first place and then for parting with them. Gandalf vs. the Balrog is an Artist Return. I'd love to see the Argonath reunited some day.

Jason Potratz & Jack Hai PSCs
All of these were commissioned on my own custom stock. I have MANY more on blank card stock which are listed in the PSC section on page 2.

Amy Pronovost
I love Amy's cool cutesy style, and her scene cards are among some of the finest ones made for these sets. The top row are all Artist Returns.

Amy's PSC Cards:

Mark Propst
A wonderful crisp pencil style.

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 12:47 PM.