Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS > SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES

SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES Sketch card collection threads and artist galleries. Also any sketch card specific threads are welcome here too.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2015, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying boxes?

Being new to this, I have never bought any boxes of non sports cards before and with the DC Super Villians product coming out I was thinking about buying some. I know in sports cards I rarely buy boxes and just stick to singles on the secondary markets because I rarely get anything for my collection.

For those that do buy boxes, do you think it's worth it or just stick to the singles? Also, is it fun to open these types of boxes if all you care about is the sketch? Any insight is appreciated.
Basketball: Allen Iverson
tacoma34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Others will chime in on this specific product but I will say that the fun level is really up to you and how much you enjoy the subject matter of the product you're opening.
Nicnac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, it's really dependent upon what you're looking for out of it. If, like sports, you're looking for really specific characters, you're probably better off just buying singles. If you're just looking to see what the break down of a non sports product is, buying some boxes might be the way to go in searching for a focus of your collecting. One thing is for certain, though - the return on a box of non sports cards is consistently much better than sports. Good luck with whatever direction you choose!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Whatever you decide, one consideration in that particular case should be that DC cards don't get broken en masse for resale the way some other properties do. You could be waiting a really long time for a robust sketch card selection.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

I always like to buy a box of anything I'm going to collect, but when it comes to your sketch PC singles are definitely the safe bet. I try to find a balance between the two, which is usually buying boxes when they are on sale.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm a big fan of opening value-priced products. So for Cryptozoic DC products I personally wouldn't really touch any new set that comes out until it drops in price after a few months. When a new set comes out, a case costs $700-800, and the odds are you will lose money opening at that price unless you are lucky. However, once the cases drop down to $400, then they become a great value at least IMO.

If you just want to try out a box or two, then Superman the Legend and Women of Legend boxes are both around $35. I even see that Dangerous Divas II boxes are on sale today for $45 on another site which is also a good price. Heck, the Superman boxes here on BO are even eligible for their current Community Chest promo, so you would get an entry and have a 1/100 chance at winning a nice prize.
aggie4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the responses everyone, it really helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie4ever View Post
I'm a big fan of opening value-priced products. So for Cryptozoic DC products I personally wouldn't really touch any new set that comes out until it drops in price after a few months. When a new set comes out, a case costs $700-800, and the odds are you will lose money opening at that price unless you are lucky. However, once the cases drop down to $400, then they become a great value at least IMO.

If you just want to try out a box or two, then Superman the Legend and Women of Legend boxes are both around $35. I even see that Dangerous Divas II boxes are on sale today for $45 on another site which is also a good price. Heck, the Superman boxes here on BO are even eligible for their current Community Chest promo, so you would get an entry and have a 1/100 chance at winning a nice prize.
How come the Batman the Legend product isn't around $35? That's the set I am most interested in and it seems like those are in the $70 consistently.
Basketball: Allen Iverson
tacoma34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma34 View Post
Thanks for all the responses everyone, it really helps.

How come the Batman the Legend product isn't around $35? That's the set I am most interested in and it seems like those are in the $70 consistently.
It was for a while but the supply dried up.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

If it's a product I like, I try to get one box maybe, so I get the base set and get to have fun opening, then pick up singles. Or I may wait til box prices drop to pick up a box and just start with singles. Depends on the product. The superman and WoL are defs fun to open! And fairly cheap. The batman and new 52 are more expensive. Maybe break one batman box and check out eBay singles!
Green Arrow, Black Canary, and Superman
jjsmallvillelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

I buy singles 99%of the time. See people on here all the time buy a bunch of boxes trying to hit a particular card. Seen a lot of them spend a lot more than if they just would have bought the card they really wanted to start with.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rittdk01 View Post
I buy singles 99%of the time. See people on here all the time buy a bunch of boxes trying to hit a particular card. Seen a lot of them spend a lot more than if they just would have bought the card they really wanted to start with.
Exactly this. The more eclectic your taste, the better off you are with boxes. If you are very narrow minded, you are much better off to buy singles. Even if the single costs you $500, it is probably less than chasing that artist through buying boxes/cases. For a regular product, trying to hit one of 5 or 10 artists out of 50 is very tough, especially if it is an artist that typically does a low number of cards.