Blowout Cards Forums
2015 FB hot

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > NON-SPORTS > SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES

SKETCH CARD COLLECTIONS & ARTIST GALLERIES Sketch card collection threads and artist galleries. Also any sketch card specific threads are welcome here too.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Matt's Hobbit Bot5A Sketch Card Collection - updated 5/8/16

Here we go again. My likely last foray into a new release, and what is likely to be the last Middle Earth themed card release for a long time unless someone gets the old rights.

You didn't come here to read my rants, so let's get going. There will be some placeholders as I need time to scan the cards in between work and home life.

My LOTR Collection is here

My Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey sketches are Here

My Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug sketches are Here.

Melike Acar
Melike. Even without having ever owned one of her cards and collecting in a very limited sphere, I had heard her name over and over. Some artists have that following. And now that I finally own one of her cards, it is completely obvious why. This montage of Bilbo, Gandalf and Thorin is an abslute gem, packed with an inbelievable amount of detail. An absolute masterpiece.

Kokkinakis Achilleas
On one of the last sets I made a rather bold claim, likening Achilleas' work to that of Len Bellinger. I think this set only further solidifies that claim. His use of color and composition makes each and every card a singular treat. The first two cards are both Artist Proofs

Kristin Allen
Sometimes I want ... no ... NEED to own multiple cards from an artist. In some cases it showcases the breadth of their talent. And sometimes I can have just ONE card from an artist, and it's so good that it sums up their work perfectly. Kristen's Tauriel is absolutely heart-breaking. LOOK at the expression, those eyes. This card is Perfection. Artist Proof.

Kyle Babbitt
As always, Kyle delivers, this time with a slick set of ink-wash pack inserted sketches and some stunning APs. Kyle has now been on five of the six official Middle Earth releases. The first two cards, including that stunning Thorin/Azog montage, are both Artist Proofs.

Mikey Babinski
I've been fortunate enough to get returns from Mikey on all three of the Hobbit sets - in fact it's my 4th return and 5th card overall from him. I could not be happier with them all - his finely detailed ink work is just a marvel to behold. Artist Proof.

Can Baran
Can's smooth pencils and flowing colors are an amazing addition to the set. The first two cards are Artist Proofs.

Dan Bergren
Once again Dan solidifies his place at the top of the sketch card world. While his pack inserted cards are strong, these two Artist Proofs show how he is a world-class talent.

Scott Blair
Scott's wonderful pin-up sensibilities once again translast to so incredibly vibrant Middle Earth gems!

Leon Braojos
Leon's cards gave a "shiny" look to them - it's a boring but accurate description to the highly polished work of this wonderful artist. He brings a wonderful style to the mostly evil side of Middle Earth of BOT5A.

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 06:12 AM.
mf1971999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default two

Carolos Cabaleiro

Scott Carola
Scott, where have you been these past two Hobbit sets?!! Scott lands with a BANG on the final Hobbit set, and it's an absolute crime that he wasn't here sooner. Azog is an Artist Proof!

Francois Chartier
Francois has contributed some amazing cards to these three Hobbit sets. He has a fluid style which perfectly captures the mood of Middle Earth, and this Artist Proof of Legolas and Tauriel is a stunning piece.

Dana Condel
Dana is another new introduction for me, and another very welcome one. Her pencils are confident and bright, and Smug Smaug just jumps off the card (and is an Artist Proof). Crypto nailed it by bringing Dana onto this set, I only wish they did it back on AUJ!

Doug Cowan
I was THRILLED when I heard Doug was back for one more crack at Middle Earth! His rich, painted pieces have to be seen in person in order to fully appreciate the depth of his colors! Smaug is an Artist Proof!

Paul Cowan
Paul continutes to pump out a dizzying quantity of top-shelf sketch cards. Bilbo ... look at that expression, it's captured perfectly!

Richard Cox
When it comes to bold inked cards, few can compete with Richard. Just look at Azog - it's a technical marvel, perfectly shaded and just pulls you into the scene. Azog is an Artist Proof, and I have been fortunate enough to grab an AP from all three sets, which are now cornerstones of my collection.

Ted Dastick, Jr.
Ted! Ted is an artist's artist. I had a few LOTR artists mention Ted to me over the years, and then I saw him at a comicon and fell in love with his work. Three Hobbit sets later and his cards are among some of my absolute favorites, and this Bard/Smaug puzzle might be near the very top. The detail, the blur effect on Smaug with the depth of field ... it might as well be a photo. Both cards are Artist Proofs.

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-08-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default three

Louise Draper
Yet another artist I have been introduced to this set, and yet another incredible revelation for me. Louise masters the portrait card which is also a scene card - the cards are so good and so specific that you instantly recall the scene in question. Both Bilbo and Legolas are Artist Proofs. Absolute gems.

Marcia Dye
Marcia! I was introduced to Marcia years back with her PSC LOTR work, and I knew she HAD to be on any inevitable Hobbit sets. Crypto delivered. Over these three sets her cards have been consistently among the absolute best in terms of both composition and quality, and these are no exception. The Thorin composite card is an Artist Proof, but honestly, and of them could have been, they are all that good.

Carolyn Edwards
Carolyn is an absolute powerhouse on these sets. Every single card she contributes is of AP quality. Her detailed portraits are just perfection, and this Artist Proof Gandlaf is a perfect example - you can see burdens he carries in every line on his face.

Gabe Farber

Andy Fry
Andy's portraits can not be properly captured in a scan. The scans look great, but in person the incredible level of shading just makes these cards absolutely shine. The first Tauriel is an Artist Proof.

Fer Galicia
Fer has been a workhorse on these three Hobbit sets, and has produces three very different batches of cards, which I absolutely LOVE. The different styles showcase a huge range of talent, and I think these may be my favorite of the three sets. Both Bilbo cards are Artist Proofs.

Mick and Matt Glebe
Three sets, three returns, and three absolutely stunning cards. I asked for a card involving the death of Kili. I felt like there would be a glut of cards with the Tauriel grieving aftermath, and I felt like Mick and Matt would be the perfect team to capture the death itself. They did not disappoint, love this one! Artist Proof.

Javier Gonzalez

Ken Gordon

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default four

Dan Gorman
I love Dan's versatility. After getting a landscape in AUJ and a Smaug montage in DOS Dan seems to have gone the evil route in Bot5A. It's been a pleasure being able to grab returns from him on all three sets. Azog is an Artist Proof.

Charles Hall
Charles Hall ... Charles and Jason/Jack are the reason I branched out into PSC cards. Charles' unbelievably vivid colors on his LOTR PSC cards were a revelation, and it allowed me to fill in some critical gaps in my collection. As soon as I heard he was on the Hobbit he was at the absolute top of my must-have AP list. Being able to grab THREE AP cards this time around has me unbelievably happy. Bilbo, Tauriel and Bard are all Artist Proofs.

Patrick Hamill
Some of my most precious (pun intended) LOTR cards are Patrick Hamill gems. Crypto did a HUGE service to the fans of middle earth by bringing Partick on board for this set. Patrick's talent is immediately evident, and his style always captures the beauty of magic of these films. Bilbo in Bag End in an Artist Proof.

Ingrid Hardy
Ingrid Hardy is simply put the most considerate artist I have had the pleasure to work with. It's clear from your first conversation with her that she cares about her fans dearly. And when you throw in a fierce talent on top of that, then we fans are doubly blessed. Due to some factors beyond anyone's control in the end Ingrid only contributed four card in total to the Bot5A set, and one of them was this Artist Proof. I'm thrilled that Ingrid was gracious enough to let me end up with this beautiful card, and after being on 4 middle earth card sets she's left an incredible mark on the hobby!

Robert Hendrickson
Robert's polished Artist Proof cards are among the best in my collection, and these two are no exception. Gems one and all.

Scott Houseman
Like so many of the artists on these sets, I am incredibly grateful to Cryptozoic for introducing me to Scott with these sets. He's one of those artists who are so good that you wonder why he's even bothering with our silly little hobby, but you're also thrilled that he IS bothering, so keep your mouth shut and hopefully he'll stay! Smaug is an Artist Proof.

Gavin Hunt
Gavin only did 10 on this set, so I am thrilled to have been able to grab one. His style is treat to behold in person, with an incredible level of detail.

Seth Ismart
Seth!! Seth has a style that's tough to describe. I'd call it almost a soft-realism. I think a lot of artists use ink to separate colors within a card, but Seth lets the colors blend into each other and the result is this beautiful dream-like effect. Seth did three puzzles across the two Hobbit sets, and I am THRILLED to own all three of them, thanks to an incredible generous Mr. Ismart. The Tauriel/Legolas puzzle is an Artist Proof and one of my absolute favorites from Bot5A.

Debbie Jackson
Debbie is yet another amazing addition to the final Hobbit set. The level of detail she can get into these long-shot scenes is mind-boggling. Dol Goldur is an Artist Proof and a stunner, but honestly my pack-pulled Thorin and his gold-sickness might be my favorite, I look at it and I'm just drawn into every little detail!

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default five

Mike James
While there are a lot of artists who put out amazing cards, Mike's name is near or at the top of that list. The blue Thorin is an Artist Proof, but honestly, any one of those cards could have been APs. A collector's dream!

Eric Lehtonen
Eric's work has a very mirror-like quality, and the AP Bilbo below really captures that. Smooth colors blend into each other with a slightly washed-out look. Love them!!

Lee Lightfoot
Lee's painted cards are such an absolute treat. There's something to be said about a card whcih has a very tactile surface which adds to the mystique. And he's an amazing talent to boot. Bard is an Artist Proof.

Shane McCormack
The colors .. my god, the depth of the colors on these cards! These are the kind of cards that you get in a pack and you pump your fist, because you've hit a home run. Tauriel is an Artist Proof.

Chris Meeks
Chris has in short order morphed into one of my favorite artsits since I was introduced to him. Just look at this Smaug Artist Proof and it's obvious why. Top shelf talent - I'm thrilled that he works in our quirky little sketch card universe!!

Ken Meyer Jr

Sol Mohamed
This is my first introduction to Sol's work, and I'm very impressed. His stylized work just grabs you and makes you look closey at the level of detail. Bolg is an Artist Proof.

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default six

Rich Molinelli
There is ONLY ONE artist who has contributed to all three Topps LOTR sets AND all three Cryptozoic Hobbit sets. Rich Molinelli. I'm thrilled to own APs from four of those six sets, and over 40 cards in total from Rich. Rich is one of the most pleasant artists to work with and his cards perfectly capture the heart of Middle Earth. The first two cards are Artist Proofs.

Nik Necoleous
I was crushed when Nik didn't participate in Desolation, but thankfully he came back for Bot5A. His LOTR cards are among my favorites with his bold colors and lush backgrounds which make the subjects pop. Both Gandalf and the Gandalf/Galadriel are Artist Proofs.

Nathan Nelson
Nathan is another new artist for me, and another case where I have to thank Crypto for the intro. His work just jumps off the cards and his colors are almost surreal, glowing on the cards. Azog is an Artist Proof.

Veronica O'Connell
A grand-slam addition to this set. Veronica is too talented to be working in sketch cards, but let's make sure she doesn't find out! Artist Proof.

Sean Pence
Sean is just the master of the sketch card world. Getting my Tauriel Artist Proof was a coup, but to pull a Thranduil in my cases was an absolute delight!

Kris Penix
Every single one of Kris' cards could be the centerpiece of a collection. Collectors are fortunate to have him on these Hobbit sets! Tauriel and Thorin are Artist Proofs.

Plinio Pinto
Once again Plinio adds his lovely portraits into the Middle Earth world, and I'm thrilled to own this Artist Proof from this amazing artist.

Ashleigh Popplewell
Ashleigh is one of those artists who I can honestly say I knew was perfect for Middle Earth years before this set came out when I had her do some LOTR PSCs for me. Her wonderful style is a natural fit for Middle Earth, and I am thrilled to have my third Artist Proof from her.

Jason Potratz and Jack Hai
The first 7 cards (including the 2 puzzles) are all Artist Proofs.

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default seven

Tim Proctor
Tim once again has created some stunning painted pieces which are like tiny little windows into Middle Earth. I'm thrilled to own these two Artist Proofs.

Fabian Quintero
Fabian! From someone I didn't know existed to one of my favorite artists on Bot5A in one fell swoop!! I put Fabian up there with Kokki as hey both have created some wonderful pieces capturing iconic scenes, and scene cards are clearly my Kryptonite. The first three cards are all Artist Proofs!

Jack Redd
Jack is Back! Sorry, I couldn't resist. Jack has contributed some absolutely amazing cards once again, and I am absolutely thrilled to own this Artist Proof of Bard.

M Jason Reed
This guy just oozes talent. His coming back for Bot5A after skipping DOS was a giant boon for collectors - his cards are absolutely top shelf! Thorin is an Artist Proof.

Rich Salvucci
Rich on the first two sets contributed the best combination of quantity x quality in my opinion. For Bot5A he pulled back, and I am happy to have been able to grab one of his only 2 Artist Proofs.

Clay Sayre
Clay continues to put of some wonderfully detailed cards, and his coloring really adds to the depth of each and every one of them. All six of these are Artist Proofs.

Danny Silva
Danny puts out some incredible portraits with exquisite ink work. Getting one of his cards is always a treat! Artist Proof.

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 06:16 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default final

John Sloboda
John is a new name to me as a rather one-trick collector, but I'm thrilled to have been intriduced to his work. This Smaug is a devilishly delightful card! Artist Proof.

James Henry Smith
JHS Sketch Cards. You see thos initials and you know you are in good hands. Some of the absolute best cards on this set, without a doubt. Bard is an Artist Proof.

Matias Streb
I admittedly was unfamiliar with Matias' work. If you want to know how much I love his cards. all five of these were snagged off ebay. Some amazing work here!

Matthew Sutton
Another new artist (to me from my limited collecting universe) and another where I am thrilled with the introduction. Both of these are Artist Proofs.

Damien Torres
Damien is back with some wonderfully stylized pieces. Bilbo is an Artist Proof.

Brad Utterstrom
I was THRILLED to be able to grab this Saruman. It's a stunning card in person, and it could be the textbook definition of "the scan doesn't do this justice" The colors absolutey shimmer on the card. Saruman is an Artist Proof.

Helga Wojik
As I wrap up with the final alphabetical artist in this set, I find myself once again being introduced to a powerhouse of an artist who I had no idea existed. Helga's work is lyrical ... I put her in the same class as Soni easily. Flowing lines, bold colors, and work that just grabs you and won't let go. The Thranduil is an Artist proof.

Last edited by mf1971999; 05-15-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ok, now that I've posted up my nine cases of breaks, time to start scanning my AP purchases as well as the cards I saw for sale that I just couldnt resist.

But I'm going to start big. Jason and Jack have been working with me for years on PSC cards, and when I heard they were on these sets, it was a foregone conclusion that I'd be going nuts on the AP side. For Bot5A I ended up with 7 AP cards, two of which are 2-card puzzles.

One in particular is an incredibly unique card. Actor likeness issues are everywhere in this set. Only a tiny handful of artists got the OK to have just 2 characters on a single card. In this 2-card puzzle there are all nine of the surviving dwarves in the closing scenes. NINE. That is a gem.

I commissioned each of these scenes, and clearly I was focused on the final scenes, including the deaths of Fili, Kili and Thorin (and I love the dual angles on the Bilbo/Thorin scene, very cinema-like).

Old 02-28-2016, 09:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default slow

Sorry this is so damn slow, I really wanted to be much further along in my posts by now.

Kristin Allen, Scott Carola and Doug Cowan. All Artist Proof cards.

Last edited by mf1971999; 02-28-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

I come to read your "rants". Nice stuff! Love your dedication to all of Middle Earth.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default rants?

I prefer to think of them as semi-enlightened nuggets of collecting lore, but I suppose "rants" covers it well enough!

Just got back from a late dinner and I've committed to a Dirty Dozen update. It will actually be a Bakers Dozen since one is a puzzle.

ALL of these cards in this update are Artist Proofs. I'll be posting these and adding my rants up above in the alphabetical section. It just seems weird to post the comments here and then copy them above.

Melike Acar, Kyle Babbitt x 2

Dana Condel, Richard Cox, Ted Dastick

Ted Dastick puzzle, Louise Draper x2

Marcia Dye, Fer Galacia x2
Old 03-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

A handsome collection of middle earth goodness on this thread.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Awesome - I think my favourite so far is the Kristin Allen - Really looking forward to see the thread evolve.
itd64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks Charles and Ian. Plowing forward with another dozen and hopefully more updates in the immediate future. LOTS to scan!

All of these are Artist Proofs. Ravings of a madman in the alphabetical portion above.

Mikey Babinsky, Mick and Matt Glebe and Dan Gorman

Three stunners from the above-mentioned Charles Hall!

Patrick Hamill, Ingrid Hardy's only AP, and Scott Houseman

And finally a 2-card Puzzle from Seth Ismart and a Dol Guldur from Debbie Jackson.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Very nice collection! Well done.
Old 03-06-2016, 10:43 AM   #17 (permalink)

Default more

Another twelve cards, once again all 12 are Artist Proofs.

Francois Chartier, Carolyn Edwards and Andy Fry

Mike James, Eric Lehtonen and Lee Lightfoot

Shane McCormack, Chris Meeks and Sol Mohammed

Nik Necoleous x2 and Nathan Nelson
Old 03-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default Nine at 9:00

Nine more Artist Proofs.

Veronica O'Connell and Paul Cowan x2

Sean Pence, Krix Penix x2

Plinio Pinto, Ashleigh Popplewell and Jack Redd
Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 PM   #19 (permalink)

These are all amazing. Hard to pick a favorite.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

Default Another Dozen

Once again, all 12 of these are Artist Proofs.

M. Jason Reed x2, Rich Salvucci

Clay Sayre x 6 (all of his AP cards)

Danny Silva, John Sloboda and James Henry Smith
Old 03-17-2016, 06:57 AM   #21 (permalink)

An absolutely gorgeous collection... Those two pieces from Doug Cowan up top are awfully nice!!
Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 PM   #22 (permalink)

Thanks Ingrid! And I agree, Doug's painted cards are some absolute gems this set!

Another dozen to wrap up a week where I once again fell behind on my posting goals.

Scott Blair, Rich Molinelli and Bob Stevlic

Three from Matias Streb

Two more from Matias Streb and a Damien Torres AP

Two APs from Matthew Sutton and an AP from Brad Utterstrom
Old 03-21-2016, 08:32 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf1971999 View Post

Ted Dastick, Jr.
Ted! Ted is an artist's artist. I had a few LOTR artists mention Ted to me over the years, and then I saw him at a comicon and fell in love with his work. Three Hobbit sets later and his cards are among some of my absolute favorites, and this Bard/Smaug puzzle might be near the very top. The detail, the blur effect on Smaug with the depth of field ... it might as well be a photo. Both cards are Artist Proofs.
Thanks for the kind words!
Old 04-04-2016, 05:28 AM   #24 (permalink)

Ah, Real Life, the devourer of Free Time! But as I sit here awaiting an April snow storm I have a few minutes, so here is another quick dozen, with hopefully more in the extreme short term.

Two from Leon Brajos and a Dain from Carolyn Edwards

Patrick Hamill and Seth Ismart

Three from Nathan Nelson

Four from Fabian Quintero

Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 PM   #25 (permalink)

Just checked out the Hobbit book on cd so I had to revisit this thread. Nice work here.