Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How about a wait period to sell?

I am starting to see too many new posters joining to only list things for sale. Those posts tend to turn into a circus because they do not read the rules to begin with. Is there a way to block new users from starting threads in the Buy/Sell/Trade forums? Maybe have a 1-3 month wait, decided by a moderator based on their posts.

Buying Brandon Hughes (OSU/Chargers) Auto's and low numbered cards.
cardsrus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

I know on car forum I use to post on you had to have 50 post or be a member for 30 days.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

on anotehr site you need to have 20 completed trades before you can sell.
roro17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

I like the 20 completed trades before you can sell option...I dont think if you have to wait 30 days before you can sell would make things different, all they would have to do is wait 30 days, then hassel us...I dont think a maximum # of postings either would help the situation due to the new kids we've had on here that post useless posts every couple of hours...

Photobucket:
http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Matts_cardz/library/?sort=3&page=1
matts_cardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

this forum is different than ALL other forums because of the LACK of restrictions impossed upon its members.

we can still post pretty freely without much censorship......... and that is a good thing.

having said that, i wish there was minimum number of words for each post..........try to eliminate all the "sick pull"..."mojo" crap that litters the site........ keeping the people who aren't capable of having a single intelligent thought to a minimun.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts_cardz View Post
I like the 20 completed trades before you can sell option...I dont think if you have to wait 30 days before you can sell would make things different, all they would have to do is wait 30 days, then hassel us...I dont think a maximum # of postings either would help the situation due to the new kids we've had on here that post useless posts every couple of hours...

Fair enough. Another site I was on had an interesting take on trades. They states if you were new to the site and wanted to trade, you needed to send your card first to the veteran trader in the deal. I always thought that was an interesting rule, but it seemed to work.
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

you guys can "hide" the selling area when you hit 'new posts' from the control panel.

and you can minimize that entire part of the forum from the index page as well.

fyi.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

can we hide new members post too lol

Photobucket:
http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Matts_cardz/library/?sort=3&page=1
matts_cardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Actually it would be up to the moderators as to when they can post with my plan. If they are only here to sell and not contribute then they would never make it to begin with. We have caught 2 sellers in the last couple weeks trying to pass off cards they did not own, why chance it on the third attempt?

Old 07-27-2008, 07:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to scott112776

I also like the 20 completed trades before selling idea, and I also like this idea which I think has been mentioned before. I think before somebody can contribute to this forum, they should have to become a Blowout CUSTOMER first. I think if people were required to actually buy something from Blowout in order to become a forum member that maybe it would weed out some of the riffraff before they can become our riffraff.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsrus1 View Post
Actually it would be up to the moderators as to when they can post with my plan. If they are only here to sell and not contribute then they would never make it to begin with. We have caught 2 sellers in the last couple weeks trying to pass off cards they did not own, why chance it on the third attempt?
The mods who have graciously volunteered to help out on here have enough work to do besides evaluating new members on a case by case basis as to whether they are "worthy" to post.

Personally, I think someone should be a member for 60 days and have at least 50 posts before they can post in that forum. That's less than 1 post per day, but is enough of a deterrent and forces them to contribute in order to use this site for their own benefit as a sales tool.

BO does not benefit, financially or otherwise, from someone who registers and just wants to sell their stuff (unless they are posting eBay links which become BO affiliate links). This way they might actually increase the usefulness of the site by posting over a couple months in exchange for the right to spam. Plus it's really easy to tell who is posting just to reach the limit, and they can be taken care of in other ways...
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

i think the 20 successful trade thing is good and bad. Its good because then all members would have credibility, but the bad thing is that not all people leave itrader notifications(if thats what we would go by) because i think i have a 5 itrader rating, but should have like 8 or 9 but some people ive traded/sold/bought from just havent left any rating
wizrdsrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
20 completed trades? I have done 3 trades in four years on the various forms of this message board. Sorry, I'll usually just send you missing cards for your set and down the line I hope you'll do the same.

I think 30 days is appropriate. I wouldn't object to 60, but I'm not going to make 20 trades just to get the right to sell here that I always had. I'm pretty sure most of the veterans on this board would agree with me.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm in total agreement. I'm 80 percent seller, 19 percent buyer and 1 percent trader. It would take years for me to make 20 trades.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
ND3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
20 completed trades? I have done 3 trades in four years on the various forms of this message board. Sorry, I'll usually just send you missing cards for your set and down the line I hope you'll do the same.

I think 30 days is appropriate. I wouldn't object to 60, but I'm not going to make 20 trades just to get the right to sell here that I always had. I'm pretty sure most of the veterans on this board would agree with me.
KMD agreed 30 days of membership should be sufficent. I think in that time frame a new member will show their true colors. Shoot we had some show it in a matter of minutes and get the hammer!
Old 07-27-2008, 11:45 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradolson View Post
Personally, I think someone should be a member for 60 days and have at least 50 posts before they can post in that forum. That's less than 1 post per day, but is enough of a deterrent and forces them to contribute in order to use this site for their own benefit as a sales tool.

This is an idea I could go for. It makes them contribute and wait. As stated in many post, in that time we will have an idea of what to expect from their post alone.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND3 View Post
KMD agreed 30 days of membership should be sufficent. I think in that time frame a new member will show their true colors. Shoot we had some show it in a matter of minutes and get the hammer!
You mean this?

Say hello to my little friend!
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote