Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Group break profits

I would like to suggest banning group breaks that blatantly attempt to profit the breakers. Thank you.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

I dont get how someone would make a profit off a group break really.. Its hard to get people to join breaks if you havent done them before i guess. I am even offering free shipping and supplies and still cant fill a cheap break
Old 12-13-2010, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Temporarily Suspended

which one are you talking about. This was suppose to be done with Johan Santana who was making a car payment with how much he was making off the breaks.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

We had this discussion a while back and determined that it was up to the members joining the break to be ok with the host making a profit or not. We (mods) review to make sure it isn't too much (generally more than $100). Johan got a few over on us until someone finally checked his math and realized he was making $700+ on his breaks. So really, it all comes down to the member doing some research before joining a break if they are worried about the host taking a profit.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer12 View Post
which one are you talking about. This was suppose to be done with Johan Santana who was making a car payment with how much he was making off the breaks.
haha...lmfao
From the Halls of Montezuma To the shores of Tripoli; We fight our country's battles In the air, on land, and sea; First to fight for right and freedom And to keep our honor clean; We are proud to claim the title Of United States Marine.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

I still dont see how you can make a profit..

Where are the numbers coming from on the profit side?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

The break that prompted this has his price breakdown which includes a breaker's fee of $3 per slot in a team draft.

I doubt i would join a break that was that obvious of a breaker profit, but to each his/her own.

Thanks for verifying this
Old 12-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

If a breaker were going to overcharge to make some sort of intentional profit, I would much rather have them come right out and say so. Seems a lot more truthful than a guy like Johan that was seriously putting one over people.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had no idea Johan was making that sort of cash off the breaks. It's cool that the breaker put his intention to profit in the breakdown and all, i just didn't care for his attitude when I questioned him on it.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

It is always philantrophic to help rich teenagers make their car payment on their Beamer Convertibles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffer12 View Post
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Sometimes, stepping in your own doo doo is the only way to go.

So Mess, since you were so willing to interupt my thread and state that nobody should make more than $20 and $87 is too much profit, I figured I would spend some time and rip you apart!

Ok, I'll go with the first break I found 2010/11 Panini Basketball that you did.

You had the case at $1184.99. You probably got the same $30 to $40 discount as all breakers do. Should I stop with the $30 you already made on that break or should I continue with what you charged on shipping and paypal??

I'll continue, because this is fun!

Perfect example of what you made off one person in:
hester purchased 10 slots in your break. You collected $28.50 in shipping and paypal fees from him. Paypal fee was probably around $9.00, which leaves you with $19.50 to package and ship. 10 cards in thick hard plastics fit nicely in a $4.90 Priority Small Flat Rate Box with tracking. Hard Plastics/Sleeves/Bubble Wrap (added protection) might cost you a $1. Leaving you with $13.50 profit just off of hester.

Should I continue with the other participants, or does the fact that shipping a few cards in a bubble wrap envelope only costing $2 scare you?

Seriously, would you like me to go any further?? You know, since nobody should make over $20.

Last edited by crazy8parlay; 12-13-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ha crazy, you're crazy. I ended losing $12.57 on that break dude. I calculated that myself after the last stop to the PO. I either break even or owe a few bucks for my breaks -- I don't mind either.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

Limits are set @ 100. A breaker had best not got over that
Old 12-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
Limits are set @ 100. A breaker had best not got over that
Please delete his, kelley and my posts in my thread that pertain to this conversation from my group break.

I've reported it twice and nothing was done about it.

And honestly, if he didn't like it, he should have moved on quietly or approached me through IM. My intentions for the $3 break fee was clearly explained. I gave him a straight first reponse. If he didn't like it then he has issues. He escalated it, not me.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:19 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by messingaroundok View Post
Ha crazy, you're crazy. I ended losing $12.57 on that break dude. I calculated that myself after the last stop to the PO. I either break even or owe a few bucks for my breaks -- I don't mind either.
If I really wanted to sit down and calculate all of it I would and I'm sure I would be able to come up with roughly $100 above what it should cost. If you spent more that's your fault and all you did was waste other people's money. My example is based on Priority Flat Rate (the highest possible route domestically). Boxes are free, and you can print out priority on paypal shipping. I do it all the time. Small still only costs $4.90 up to 4 pounds, and 18 cards in hard plastics don't weight that much. Even if it did, it would only cost $5.80 more to upgrade to medium. Which would still leave you with $6.00 profit. And I haven't even included what you made off the other 8 slots he purchased, or the other participants.

I was pretty clear on what cost what, and I'm sure most everyone would agree. If you lost money, you manage badly. And being you collected probably $100 more than cost you didn't waste your money, but theirs. Since nobody is supposed to make a profit, you are pretty much saying that exact thing.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

And leave the policing to the mods, if you find a problem. Point it out to the mod, don't take it upon yourself to handle the situation. It's not your job!
Old 12-13-2010, 07:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

You're a little hot head aren't ya?

It's cool. I'll drop it so we can both move on with our lives.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

IMHO - Breaker should not profit at all. I get the $ 100 limit and that's cool, but I just wouldn't join the break.