Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Forum Needs an Age Restriction or Setting Option

I would really like to see an age restriction on this forum or at least allow adult users to have the setting to block minors/teenagers/adolescence.#@

Reason being: As a working professional adult with financial resources of buying power for cards, I prefer to break open high-end products, trade/buy high end products with other users on the Forum.#@

Whenever I post a new valuable card or 1/1 item on the Forum, more than half of the emails I get from "interested" parties are obviously some kid trying to offer me a bunch of junk in trade, or 10 cents on the dollar to buy.

Examples of my more recent responses:

-No, I am not open to trade an NT Blake Griffin RPA for a bunch of Game-Used SP Authentic.#@

-No, I am not willing to sell a Babe Ruth autographed for 180 dollars plus some 2010 Rookie Cards.

-No, I am not willing to trade an NT Logoman card for your collection of Absolute base autos.

Does anyone else get these kind of responses from ignorant minors?
Lastly, let me do say that I value the experienced members that educate me and others on value, resources, etc. Because of these individuals, I am still a contributing member.
Riversoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

i agree......................AMEN
Old 01-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

My concern is that we don't know the age of the people we are dealing with. I would hate to enter a transaction (either as a buyer or a seller) with a minor (unknowingly) and have it go bad. A minor cannot be held responsible. I think the B/S/T forum should definitely be age restricted.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

While I understand your plight.... card collecting is for all ages. Being over the age of 18 does not mean the maturity level will sky rocket for you.

This is a public forum... if someone submits an offer you owe them the respect to accept or decline. If you don't like their offer that is their problem not yours. This forum wasn't built for your personal convenience.

We all do our best to weed out the donkeys that are obviously not serious. If you cut out the youngsters from your posts they won't get to enjoy seeing some of your hits even though they can't "afford" one.

I guess I think its dangerous to discourage the young ones from collecting and trading cards... especially in an online forum as popular as this.
MASNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer
Default How are you going to prove age?

I know alot of adults who pull the same crap you guys describe above

Is Blowout gonna start putting credit cards on file like eBay? Kids use their parents credit cards on eBay all the time. BO isn't going to waste their resources for a minority of users out there

BO is trying to spend as little as possible to try and avoid ads and pop-ups, which would be the future if they do stupid sh*t like trying to figure out who everybody is

Then you guys would be on here b*tchin' and moanin' about the fkin' pop-ups and it'd be ur own fault
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASNAR View Post
While I understand your plight.... card collecting is for all ages. Being over the age of 18 does not mean the maturity level will sky rocket for you.

This is a public forum... if someone submits an offer you owe them the respect to accept or decline. If you don't like their offer that is their problem not yours. This forum wasn't built for your personal convenience.

We all do our best to weed out the donkeys that are obviously not serious. If you cut out the youngsters from your posts they won't get to enjoy seeing some of your hits even though they can't "afford" one.

I guess I think its dangerous to discourage the young ones from collecting and trading cards... especially in an online forum as popular as this.
A fn' MEN!
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I wish there was a way to implement an age restriction on the forum but I can't see how it would work. I agree with MASNAR that being over the age of 18 doesn't give anyone the maturity to handle making deals and conducting money transactions. I just think that if we use the iTrader function that we will weed out the bad apples. When I first got on here I shipped first to Forum Vets until I got enough iTrader reviews that it wasn't demanded. Also when I purchased cards from people I didn't waffle. I paid immediately to ensure that they knew the deal was going through and that I wasn't some idiot. For the recond I'm 33.

Bucket: http://s575.photobucket.com/albums/ss196/Semper_Patsfan/
Semper_PatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't sell in this forum, and I rarely buy. The reason is that I have zero recourse if a minor wanted to back out. I know there are many others that simply won't deal over here either.

Now, I know what most of you are going to say...that it's our loss. But think about all the cards that aren't being moved because serious buyers and sellers don't want to deal with the risks and hassles involved.

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from this hobby. It's something to be enjoyed by all ages. Unfortunately laws are in place to protect minors that could affect adults in a negative way, and I choose to steer clear of situations like that.

In a perfect world, everyone would keep their word and honor all commitments. Unfortunately that's not the case, and minors are holding all the cards.

I was a minor once too. I never backed out of a transaction. I have always been a serious buyer. I would have been offended if someone didn't want to deal with me because I was a minor, but I would have understood.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

I thought that the "guardian" was responsible for the overall actions of a Minor. I am not sure though how this would apply to an online forum.
MASNAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversoule View Post
I would really like to see an age restriction on this forum or at least allow adult users to have the setting to block minors/teenagers/adolescence.#@

Reason being: As a working professional adult with financial resources of buying power for cards, I prefer to break open high-end products, trade/buy high end products with other users on the Forum.#@

Whenever I post a new valuable card or 1/1 item on the Forum, more than half of the emails I get from "interested" parties are obviously some kid trying to offer me a bunch of junk in trade, or 10 cents on the dollar to buy.

-No, I am not open to trade an NT Blake Griffin RPA for a bunch of Game-Used SP Authentic.#@

-No, I am not willing to sell a Babe Ruth autographed for 180 dollars plus some 2010 Rookie Cards.

-No, I am not willing to trade an NT Logoman card for your collection of Absolute base autos.

Lastly, let me do say that I value the experienced members that educate me and others on value, resources, etc. Because of these individuals, I am still a contributing member.
Says the member with an Itrader of 3, when I am a teenager with an 100% rating of 79...
sportscards1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

damn kids
migraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:

I like this post!!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

one eighty five?
Old 01-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Those of you who think it's only the minors of the board that are the cause of all the grief with transactions on here either haven't been here long enough or haven't had many dealings during your time here. Trust me, while they are a large part of it, it's not just the kids. I've had more than one adult member back out on a deal over the years, send me lowball offers or try pulling some shady shite. It is what it is and you have to deal with it if you want to wheel and deal on this site. Just tell them to pissoff in a PM or if they're really worth a laugh to the rest of us, post it in the member feedback section and move on.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

You can have age restrictions, but that doesnt mean they are going to lie about there age when asked.

I collect 49ers, SF Giants, Nevada Alumni and Orlando Magic
Newbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
Those of you who think it's only the minors of the board that are the cause of all the grief with transactions on here either haven't been here long enough or haven't had many dealings during your time here. Trust me, while they are a large part of it, it's not just the kids. I've had more than one adult member back out on a deal over the years, send me lowball offers or try pulling some shady shite. It is what it is and you have to deal with it if you want to wheel and deal on this site. Just tell them to pissoff in a PM or if they're really worth a laugh to the rest of us, post it in the member feedback section and move on.
I completely agree, but at least we have some recourse against adults. We have none against minors.

None of this really bothers me anyway. I let COMC do all my selling these days.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscards1013 View Post
Says the member with an Itrader of 3, when I am a teenager with an 100% rating of 79...

Hey Teenager:

Congrats to you for using the Itrader function! My rating of 3 is because I didn't buy/trade anything on this Forum until last week. Nor do I enjoy the bogus offers as mentioned in my original post.

And thanks for validating my point regarding children not being monitored on this site with their irrelevant points of view.

But thanks for trying to chime in. Next time, try to make valid points like Mansar and Wheeler and the other adults did in either being for or against this suggestion.
Riversoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbs View Post
You can have age restrictions, but that doesnt mean they are going to lie about there age when asked.
This is what I was going to say, great point Newbs.
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

when I was 10-13 I cared about cards......

when I was 14-18...GIRLS/SPORTS/GIRLS/school.....

How some of these minors literally live on this site is beyond me. Hopefully, one day, they will find girls.
SacGWYNN19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

I am a teenager and I would like to think I am nice to deal with. I am immature on the boards sometimes but I am serious when dealing. We "kids" are the future of the collecting vets and some of us are serious. Me, Bballheaven, hog(usually), Sportscards1013 to name a few.

Just saying, we are not ALL like that.

"Thank the Lord for that burning bush, that big body Benz I was born to push..." - Just What IAm
nuggetsman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

I have had just as many adults act like that as I have kids. Its not just the age but its the maturity of how someone does it. I have a guy right now who wanted to trade and it was all serious and then he offered me a 06 turkey red marvin harrison jersey card for my Tomlinson auto rookie card. I told him I would no longer respond to him after an offer like that because we are to far off on value. He asked me what was wrong with his card. i didnt even respond to that because I thought he was joking but he was serious. He PMed me today about another trade and I told him i wont trade with him. He responded with the point that he has learned a lot and done a ton of serious trading since we talked last( 3 days ago ) and that people value their cards differently. I dont care if that was the only Harrison I didnt have, i wouldnt trade it for an LT auto rookie card. A lot of the young ones on here are ok but im guessing the guy I talked to is one of the bad eggs. Ill deal with a lot of them and the ones Im talking about are the ones you wouldnt be able to tell are kids. Some of them have great collections too.
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #22 (permalink)

People must just like to debate b/c all of these paragraphs, explanations, different perspectives dont mean anything. Does anyone even know how old the people they're dealing with are anyways?? Theres no way to verify age, before during or after a transaction!

This thread=waste of time

http://s1043.photobucket.com/albums/b436/teej750/All%20football/Autos%20FT/
9erFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacGWYNN19 View Post
when I was 10-13 I cared about cards......

when I was 14-18...GIRLS/SPORTS/GIRLS/school.....

How some of these minors literally live on this site is beyond me. Hopefully, one day, they will find girls.
This is very very true. I used the internet for a couple things when I was a teenager and most included a box of kleenex. I never used it to sit on a forum all day. How some of them are on 24/7 is crazy.
BroncosFAN#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:45 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey Teenager:

Congrats to you for using the Itrader function! My rating of 3 is because I didn't buy/trade anything on this Forum until last week. Nor do I enjoy the bogus offers as mentioned in my original post.

And thanks for validating my point regarding children not being monitored on this site with their irrelevant points of view.

But thanks for trying to chime in. Next time, try to make valid points like Mansar and Wheeler and the other adults did in either being for or against this suggestion.
No, I don't want to pick a fight with you. I just feel that the forum is open to all collectors for a reason. If you don't like an offer, simply deny it. That's all. Some kids/minors are bad on here, I get it. So ban THEM! Not productive members like me, nuggetsman, papiis, etc.

I guess I overreacted to your post and was a jerk about it, and for that, I am sorry, sir.

But truthfully, I don't think a total outlaw of minors is the right thing to do...a case by case basis is IMO a way better way to go. We are the future of this hobby, so let's learn how to do it now and show the right ways to the future members of this site.

Thanks for your response, once again, I apologize if I came off strong and hope to prove you wrong and show you that minors can be productive and successful members on this site.

Last edited by sportscards1013; 01-24-2011 at 11:50 PM.
sportscards1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erFan View Post
People must just like to debate b/c all of these paragraphs, explanations, different perspectives dont mean anything. Does anyone even know how old the people they're dealing with are anyways?? Theres no way to verify age, before during or after a transaction!

This thread=waste of time
Excellent 9erfan except I think you need to be 18 to have paypal account but I'm never sure of anything anymore. I especially love how they know that some people live on this forum!!!
pmannings#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote