Blowout Cards Forums
Holiday Madness

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,243
Default How to Make This Forum a Better Place...

As inappropriate as some may think this is to start a thread for all to see, I think it might be very productive to include the group as a whole in sort of a brainstorming session if you will. Everyone can read what others have suggested and comment/criticize for all to see.

I'll start off with this suggestion:

I think Admin and Mods should have the power and actually carry through with immediately deleting threads that are "obviously" worthless. When I say "obviously" worthless, I mean threads that have no meaning at all, like talking about poo for instance. If the same member continues to start threads of the same nature, he/she gets suspended or banned.

I think this will help reduce some of the clutter.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central, KY
Posts: 16,230
Default

I completely agree.
__________________
Follow me on Twitter - @ebayguruEric

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,418
Default

While this forum has grown by leaps and bounds since back in the day, its still not a new post machine like SCF which has pages of new posts & threads every 5 minutes. I think we have enough MODs who along with Pat should be able to clean out the riff raff. That thread last night about poop was another example of something going on too long and possibly getting out of control. There were MODs on the board so it probably should have been locked earlier. In the past we didn't use MODs and the board policed itself. We ALWAYS weeded out the JOs and kept this board respectful. Obviously when you have a group of men talking sports, politics etc. there will be some flare ups but USUALLY they don't cross the lines of disrespect.

What I don't understand is why have MODs if people are going be allowed back for some pretty classless comments or shady deals ? In this case I AM singling someone out and I can't believe that after 2 weeks time they will be allowed back after probalby the lowest remark I can remember being posted here and not 1, but 2 shady transactions resulting in people calling him out on the board ?

I speak my mind and am honest with my posts (I'd appreciate & respect that in return)) and I have made some posts myself in "possibly" poor taste but I don't believe I have ever crossed the lines of complete and utter disrespect for any member. Its all in fun with me and many other guys who are just breaking balls. If someone gets their feelings hurt its not intentional and a simple PM would squash any future ribbing.

I will not comment any further on my CBo post, MODs or this issue, just posting my honest opinion and moving on. After all, its a forum about sports and cards. Its just cards people ! There doesn't have to be alot of drama, controversy and disrespect on the boards.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Zerokruel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,501
Default

I belong to a few forums, and this is by far one of the more mature forums. However, it is growing and with that said, you will get member that flat out, just don't care what they type or how they come off because this is the internet. I have see some post get out of control way too long, but I have seen some get stopped or locked for almost no reason. This forum does have it's own click, and you can get put on the outside real quick (part of that is becuse this forum is still somewhat small).

I think that sometimes, to make a a forum a better place you need to evolve. Maybe all of our Admin/Mods need to have highlighted User names or something like that. Also, it might help if the Mods were in charge of sections and not the entire board. Suspensions and bannings of members should be disscussed in a Moderator only "Lounge". These are things that other boards have, and they run perfect with them.
__________________
Currently looking for the following comic Books:
United Comics: 21,22,23,24,26
Tip Top: 173 & 184
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerokruel View Post
Suspensions and bannings of members should be disscussed in a Moderator only "Lounge". These are things that other boards have, and they run perfect with them.
Pretty good suggestion here.

This might be what already takes place, but maybe not.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
nephinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 5,972
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheeler27 View Post
Pretty good suggestion here.

This might be what already takes place, but maybe not.
That IS a good suggestion. I also have to agree with the comment from Zerokruel about the cliques on this forum. I got that feeling as soon as I joined up. However, I'm still happy to be hear talking about cards. I just hope some of the "veterans" will still give us "new" guys a chance and not immediately judge us as outsiders because, believe it or not, some of the new members are great!
nephinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Central, KY
Posts: 16,230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephinfan View Post
That IS a good suggestion. I also have to agree with the comment from Zerokruel about the cliques on this forum. I got that feeling as soon as I joined up. However, I'm still happy to be hear talking about cards. I just hope some of the "veterans" will still give us "new" guys a chance and not immediately judge us as outsiders because, believe it or not, some of the new members are great!
As a veteran, I understand what you are saying. Most of us don't jump on someone unless they come on here right off the bat saying the Beckettier words. If you are adding insite and positives to this forum, then you are more than welcome.

If you were treated with any disrespect by a veteran member on here that was unwarrented, let me apoligize on their behalf.

guru
__________________
Follow me on Twitter - @ebayguruEric

Now Collecting: Ken Griffey Jr. & Kevin Garnett
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NorthEast Kansas
Posts: 12,243
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
As a veteran, I understand what you are saying. Most of us don't jump on someone unless they come on here right off the bat saying the Beckettier words. If you are adding insite and positives to this forum, then you are more than welcome.

If you were treated with any disrespect by a veteran member on here that was unwarrented, let me apoligize on their behalf.

guru
DITTO.

I remember what it was like to be new a few years ago. It was easier getting accepted back then because there weren't so many noobs, but I was still careful to learn and think before posting too much.

It's easy to tell when a new guy is respectful and will be a good addition to this site. It's equally easy to tell when someone's going to be trouble. The guys in between have to just hang in there. It won't be long until you all are veterans.
__________________
Check out my high-end cards for sale on COMC...username: mwheeler27
mwheeler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephinfan View Post
That IS a good suggestion. I also have to agree with the comment from Zerokruel about the cliques on this forum. I got that feeling as soon as I joined up. However, I'm still happy to be hear talking about cards. I just hope some of the "veterans" will still give us "new" guys a chance and not immediately judge us as outsiders because, believe it or not, some of the new members are great!
As someone who recently became a noob on SCF, I think this site if far more accomodating to noobs then that one. There are no restrictions in trades or selling and your not treated like an idiot when trying to make these deals.

As for the guys who have been here for years coming off as clique-ish you have to understand something about the boards origin. When this board started it wasn't intended to be like Beckett but more about Chris giving his case breakers a place to talk about products, future buying etc. These forums were kind of like a high rollers room in a casino. Small crowd, all adult conversation about spending a few grand on cases. The board policed itself and the board set up some rules. No banners in the sig was the first rule. There also wasn't any MOJO, sick pulls, CMB or poop threads back then. As the board grew the vets tried to maintain its original integrity and keep things somewhat mature. Obviously it changed over time but the few original members left still try to keep things less Beckettish.
Like Eric (Guru) said, if people come on here trying to take over and turn this into what Beckett was by acting like a child they get called out. There has been a huge turnover in membership and many new members have found their place around here. I apologize if you were treated badly for no reason and hope it doesn't happen again.

I hope this explains things a little better for the newer members.
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
frozenntimesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 10,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
While this forum has grown by leaps and bounds since back in the day, its still not a new post machine like SCF which has pages of new posts & threads every 5 minutes. I think we have enough MODs who along with Pat should be able to clean out the riff raff. That thread last night about poop was another example of something going on too long and possibly getting out of control.
Please report posts like that as soon as you see them. That guy made 17 posts before I found about it. That took a while to clean up.

We only know what you tell us, if there is a problem thread don't automatically assume we see it, it is impossible to keep our eyes on all the threads and stuff happens very fast around here.
__________________
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 3,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
We only know what you tell us, if there is a problem thread don't automatically assume we see it, it is impossible to keep our eyes on all the threads and stuff happens very fast around here.
If every problem must be reported before a mod sees it, then this place probably needs more mods who actively monitor the boards. An instruction to newbies on how to report posts also would help.

The fact is, the board is never going to be what it once was. The powers that be have made it clear that they are fine with this. Those of us who were on the old board now use this board for a different purpose because it has changed so much that it can't be used like we used to. Sometimes that "different" purpose leads to others feeling there is a clique mentality, but it is what it is.

The biggest problem here is that there needs to be much more accountability by the mods and admins to those who break forum rules. People who should have been permanently banned are given 2 weeks. Others who shouldn't have been banned at all are given 2 weeks. Can you say inconsistent? Punishments also should have nothing to do with how much someone spends. I know the economy is bad, but if making orders gives someone free reign, it does nothing but hurt the board.

When a new member signs up and continues to post their eBay spam in the general "hobby" and "box breaks" forums after being told countless times that it belongs in a different forum, they should be given a final warning and if they don't want to follow the rules, they should be blocked from posting.

If someone scams other members or openly discusses weighing boxes, etc... either they should be banned, or others should be allowed to bring up these things as often as necessary to prevent others from being the victim of their scams.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Zerokruel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,501
Default

I agree with Bradolson.

KMD, you made a great point about not being able to see everything quickly. I understand it is hard to see everything. This board does grow and there are more people posting all the time. I really think it would be wise to look into adding Mods and giving them sections that they can control. If that becomes to tough, maybe you put 2 mods in every section (sort of like a back up). This would probably only require 6 or 7 Mods if kept up right.
__________________
Currently looking for the following comic Books:
United Comics: 21,22,23,24,26
Tip Top: 173 & 184
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
bigpapi3470's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: eden,MD
Posts: 462
Default

yea i agree no body wants to know about poop and thats all the guys posts are about..
__________________
COLLECTING CAPITALS, REDSOX, AND TITANS
bigpapi3470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Great Dealz Rob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 2,795
Default

I haven't been on the site for too long, but I have made almost 100 trades in 6 months. I may not be in any of the cliques or may not be one of the most popular people, but I offer alot to the site. I feel that this site has gone down hill quickly. IMO. There needs to be more direction for the newbies. The need more instruction where to post their threads. Especially that they can edit their threads. We have a newbie that starts a new thread every day that is FS/FT and alway in ALL CAPS. I'm sure a few of you can figure out who that is. From what I see, this site must not have enough Mods because all I hear is how they can't catch everything. This site gets much fewer posts a day than FCB, SCF or Beckett and it seems like it gets more bogus posts. That is a direct reflection on the Mods, but more importantly a reflection on Blowout. Don't get me wrong , I really like this site and find it useful for what I need (trades/sales/info) but it gets really old with the 4th grade intelligence, personal attacks and flare ups as well as people constantly correcting others grammar or spelling. I realize this is a forum and people can say what they want (to a point) but if the Mods were able to act quicker and squash the beefs before too many people see the issue, the problems should get better instead of the direction we are heading. This board gets blasted on many other forums. I take that personally, because that is a reflection on me, the whole community, mods and BO. If I can help in any way, please let me know. This should be a fun board, not a stressful and aggravating part of the hobby. That is my 2 cents. If anyone would like to talk further about this matter, I have plenty to say.
__________________
BUYING BRETT JACKSON CARDS & MEMORABILIA

Check me out on the Bay & COMC for special BO member deals!!!
Great Dealz Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!
 
otmack2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: MI
Posts: 6,035
Default

Honestly, a lot of the complaining that I have read about this site's admins and mods recently is sort of a shock to me since I have not heard these complaints voiced here before. However, it is good to get things like this out in the open and discussed. Hopefully things discussed can be acted upon and put into effect rather than just being talked about.

Keep the comments coming!
__________________
AARDVARKS!
otmack2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
pac213up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,233
Default

I wish there was a private case breakers sections similar to the old board. I enjoy a lot of the new stuff but miss the days of dissecting the value of new releases and 10 page topps trade threads.
pac213up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
frozenntimesports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: York, PA
Posts: 10,545
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac213up View Post
I wish there was a private case breakers sections similar to the old board. I enjoy a lot of the new stuff but miss the days of dissecting the value of new releases and 10 page topps trade threads.
Nice idea, not sure it should be private, but maybe a seperate section for case breaks & box/pack breaks.
__________________
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #18 (permalink)
Moderator
 
iluvfish2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lansing, Michigan
Posts: 22,537
Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraandMelliesDaddy View Post
Nice idea, not sure it should be private, but maybe a seperate section for case breaks & box/pack breaks.
KMD..you may be on to something here...I like this idea!
__________________
Blowouts Resident Wade Boggs Super Collector
iluvfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
findizzle04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kent City, MI
Posts: 1,098
Default

I agree with GreatDealzRob and his point to help out newbs by giving clear directions as to what they can and can not do, such as the ability to edit their own posts. I would like it even better if you could edit the title of your thread, as we all make a few typos now and again.
__________________
Everything in my bucket (findizzle04) is for sale/trade!!!!
http://s547.photobucket.com/albums/hh443/findizzle04/
findizzle04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
BAMBAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 8,418
Default

We mentioned the seperate section long ago and it got shot down as Chris didin't want anyone feeling left out or seperated from the rest of the group.

One thing to look into is all the spamming by members who don't contribute ANYTHING other then using this site as free advertising. That gets old fast and clutters up space for others that actually bring something to the table besides "look at my listings" or "check my bucket."
__________________
IF YOU CAN'T TAKE AN HONEST REPLY THEN DON'T ASK.

ALWAYS BUYING '97 LEGENDS AUTOS OR H.O.F. AUTO NEEDS
BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:08 AM   #21 (permalink)
Member
 
fm8418's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: ohio
Posts: 6,247
Send a message via AIM to fm8418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMBAM View Post
We mentioned the seperate section long ago and it got shot down as Chris didin't want anyone feeling left out or seperated from the rest of the group.

One thing to look into is all the spamming by members who don't contribute ANYTHING other then using this site as free advertising. That gets old fast and clutters up space for others that actually bring something to the table besides "look at my listings" or "check my bucket."
well if they use the right area then it's no problem if they do it, that's the problem.

Don't assume people read rules, I know I never do. Also don't assume people have common sense to use a search feature as some might be new message boards.
fm8418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Dealz Rob View Post
I haven't been on the site for too long, but I have made almost 100 trades in 6 months. I may not be in any of the cliques or may not be one of the most popular people, but I offer alot to the site. I feel that this site has gone down hill quickly. IMO. There needs to be more direction for the newbies. The need more instruction where to post their threads. Especially that they can edit their threads. We have a newbie that starts a new thread every day that is FS/FT and alway in ALL CAPS. I'm sure a few of you can figure out who that is. From what I see, this site must not have enough Mods because all I hear is how they can't catch everything. This site gets much fewer posts a day than FCB, SCF or Beckett and it seems like it gets more bogus posts. That is a direct reflection on the Mods, but more importantly a reflection on Blowout. Don't get me wrong , I really like this site and find it useful for what I need (trades/sales/info) but it gets really old with the 4th grade intelligence, personal attacks and flare ups as well as people constantly correcting others grammar or spelling. I realize this is a forum and people can say what they want (to a point) but if the Mods were able to act quicker and squash the beefs before too many people see the issue, the problems should get better instead of the direction we are heading. This board gets blasted on many other forums. I take that personally, because that is a reflection on me, the whole community, mods and BO. If I can help in any way, please let me know. This should be a fun board, not a stressful and aggravating part of the hobby. That is my 2 cents. If anyone would like to talk further about this matter, I have plenty to say.
Agreed. People attack people too much on this site for putting a price that's too high or anything else for that matter. I don't say much to people unless I am interested in any of their items or they had some nice breaks or a topic that interests me. I understand some people on this board post things that are useless but we can ignore them, not write a single thing in it and that way he won't do it again. If people keep reacting and posting things in useless threads, the person who created it is getting a kick out of your posts and will continue to put up useless threads. Just ignoring useless post would be the best thing to do.
SkinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
matts_cardz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Monroe, MI
Posts: 5,260
Default

how about making a pack break section, that way people that can't afford boxes can post and not get the "waste of bandwith" speech

I can afford boxes but I think a pack break/retail break section would bring less clutter to the box break section
__________________
ITEMS FOR SALE/TRADE!!

Photobucket:
http://s985.photobucket.com/user/Matts_cardz/library/?sort=3&page=1
matts_cardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #24 (permalink)
Member
 
Zerokruel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,501
Default

I have a great idea! How about we stop editing threads. A member can say a racist remark, and we clean it all up to make it look nice and that's all.

Only here have I seen MODS/ADMIN just delete stuff. No warning posted in that said thread about in infractions or anything. People just clean it up. I know Ive know had a comment deleted and it was not bad.

I think this sight needs to rethink the way it wants to run the boards. There is a real issue, and either you need more MODS or new MODS. You don't just edit boards to the way you feel.

This was the thread. Member makes racist remark and it all just goes away and nothing gets said to him and his status has not changed.

Michael Vick
__________________
Currently looking for the following comic Books:
United Comics: 21,22,23,24,26
Tip Top: 173 & 184
Peanuts 1 (1953)
Peanuts: 1-4 (1963-64)
Zerokruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:57 AM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Texansfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Linden CA
Posts: 2,296
Default

Look at members Pshmn last 4-5 posts.... this is what hurts the site.... Need to be banned....
__________________
http:/www.checkoutmycards.com/users/texansfan
Texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright © 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.