Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Card Event 4/27/14 SM

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strasburg View Post
Part of the problem is the kids who don't get jlznck's and wilsonvaldez's sarcasm/jokes.
Kids want to be accepted, or at least I did when I was younger. That is the difference between kids and adults. If someone doesn't like me here, I couldn't possibly care less. I may argue or bicker with people, but its all in fun for me.

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #27 (permalink)

I like kids

http://kobebryantautograph.weebly.com/
IronMonkey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

You can actually edit vbulletin to not allow anyone under a certain age. There is already a COPRA filter built in. You just have to edit one line in the register.php file.

Granted, it only works if the correct age is entered... but it will ban your IP so that you cannot come back and enter a different age later.

Not a perfect solution but works the majority of the time.
houdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovethelakings View Post
Here we ago again. Blah blah blah age limits. Blah blah blah frickin' kids. Blah blah blah restrictions. Age verification? Please. Much like getting beer, a savy or desperate enough kid would just get an older person's help (possibly for a small fee) to get them on to the site. Mod verification for threads? Who is going to pay them for their time for going through that crap. An area just for kids? Do we seriously need a kiddie table, like at a wedding reception or Thanksgiving dinner? Grow the hell up, ignore the little punks if you don't like what they contribute, and just keep on keeping on without letting them get to you. Sure the "Got any Konerko cards?" type of posts become repetitive, but that's why we have the ability to ignore members with a few clicks of a mouse and a bit of typing.
This is dead on. End thread.
purejd86p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 03:58 AM   #30 (permalink)

stop crying.
gussiethebussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #31 (permalink)

gussiethebussie is gay
snajuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #32 (permalink)

I don't really have a problem but at the same time I don't reply to every topic on the boards. If people would just ignore the topics instead of making comments on the ones they think are made by kids they wouldn't become so prominent and annoying.
NPNCards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #33 (permalink)

The kids here are fine. Leave them alone.

And to the kids here..... If you posted less than 10 times a day. People wouldn't really notice you, and "attack" you.
mmbtvs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 AM   #34 (permalink)

I tend to agree with some of the long-term members here that have said to just ignore them. Also, like Lemur, if someone says they feel attacked and ganged up on and no one likes them, I'll try to help out. I think, regarding random posts, the problem is not the kids posting them, but all the bullies that want to make the kids feel stupid. I don't want to be a fear-monger about the declining future of the hobby, but how are these kids ever going to learn anything if all some people do is bully them?!

I have no problem with kids posting in any section other than B/S/T. I think to buy/sell/trade, you should have to submit age verification. Granted, this is not foolproof, but you can take a 15 second look at the license and determine authenticity, plus, it only takes a few seconds for mods to use the email address they signed up and pop it into Facebook to see if the pictures match and how old they are.

I'll even volunteer to be the one that verifies age for new members looking to B/S/T!

The fact is that more problems can arise with young kids in the B/S/T section than with adults.
Hobby Shop Owner in Wells, ME

nhsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #35 (permalink)

School is almost back right?
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #36 (permalink)

In my opinion you teens 15 and more should have an account but the kids should bring there parents in the trade. Also, all you people saying when does school start... Let me ask you this, when does work start?? Yup every single day
cooldude1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsportsguy View Post
I tend to agree with some of the long-term members here that have said to just ignore them. Also, like Lemur, if someone says they feel attacked and ganged up on and no one likes them, I'll try to help out. I think, regarding random posts, the problem is not the kids posting them, but all the bullies that want to make the kids feel stupid. I don't want to be a fear-monger about the declining future of the hobby, but how are these kids ever going to learn anything if all some people do is bully them?!

I have no problem with kids posting in any section other than B/S/T. I think to buy/sell/trade, you should have to submit age verification. Granted, this is not foolproof, but you can take a 15 second look at the license and determine authenticity, plus, it only takes a few seconds for mods to use the email address they signed up and pop it into Facebook to see if the pictures match and how old they are.

I'll even volunteer to be the one that verifies age for new members looking to B/S/T!

The fact is that more problems can arise with young kids in the B/S/T section than with adults.
If some younger members can't participate in B/S/T then it does, to an extent, ruin it for them. I am 16 and I use my own money that I earn from work, through my mom's Paypal (w/ her permission) to do all transactions. I consider myself very mature for my age, and if I couldn't use B/S/T how would I get cards that I want?

PC: Jemile Weeks
Sqeeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #38 (permalink)

Voidable, not null and void. There's a difference.
Bob Loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommy! View Post
I think this thread is more immature than many of the younger members. I believe that the way we treat kids is unbelievable. It's beyond my belief why any mature adult would use the "When does school start?" comment. It's rude and immature. There are many forum members such as Strasburg, who are <15 yrs old, but are valued members of this community. Besides, these kids don't do anything wrong to you (except for maybe ignore you), so in 1 post you have done more wrong to Homerun ("Any Konerko?" is an insult IMO) than he has done to you in his 1000+ posts. The hobby has been on the decline for a while now, and by alienating the younger collectors, you are not goiing to help it return to it's former glory.

I don't mean to nag either, just sharing my opinion!
I completely agree with this. I am a responsible kid. I am pretty smart for my age also. I get that "any Konerko" is probably annoying to some of you, but get over it. Just ignore me if you are aggravated by it. I use my dads PayPal with his permission, and he advises me with all the transactions. Out of the 1000+ transactions I've done, only 4-5 turned out bad, and those were flukes. I think that everyone has to have more compassionate here. I mean the point that we're all here is to talk about sports, not pick on each other.

Last edited by Homerun; 09-03-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Homerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqeeshy View Post
If some younger members can't participate in B/S/T then it does, to an extent, ruin it for them. I am 16 and I use my own money that I earn from work, through my mom's Paypal (w/ her permission) to do all transactions. I consider myself very mature for my age, and if I couldn't use B/S/T how would I get cards that I want?
I'm sorry, but a line has to be drawn somewhere. The risk is too high and if that means that some decent young people, like yourself, have to pay the price of protection for all the members, that's how it is. Fair? No. But many things are unfair.
Hobby Shop Owner in Wells, ME

nhsportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #41 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to F5 Penguin

^ THAT.

LCS, eBay, Craigslist, Amazon, COMC... other options allow you to purchase and have protections in place to handle the transaction. This board, while practices are in place to ensure a safe transaction, are not backed or fully guaranteed.. Therein lies the problem.
*PM Me for list via Beckett* My Scans via SkyDrive in High Quality: http://sdrv.ms/M6f5eD
F5 Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5 Penguin View Post
^ THAT.

LCS, eBay, Craigslist, Amazon, COMC... other options allow you to purchase and have protections in place to handle the transaction. This board, while practices are in place to ensure a safe transaction, are not backed or fully guaranteed.. Therein lies the problem.
True, but I don't have a LCS that I like. There are PLENTY of scammers on eBay, Craigslist, and Amazon. As for COMC, it just does not have the same atmosphere as buying directly from someone. I changed my signature to let everyone know how I old am, so that if they feel that I am untrustworthy they don't have to deal with me.

PC: Jemile Weeks
Sqeeshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #43 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to F5 Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqeeshy View Post
True, but I don't have a LCS that I like. There are PLENTY of scammers on eBay, Craigslist, and Amazon. As for COMC, it just does not have the same atmosphere as buying directly from someone. I changed my signature to let everyone know how I old am, so that if they feel that I am untrustworthy they don't have to deal with me.
I hear you completely. By no means am I saying that there aren't respectable kids on here that know how to handle a business transaction, but that's the exception to the rule.

There are scammers everywhere, I agree 100%. I think you're doing the right thing and there's a good handful of the young ones on here that I'd have zero problem dealing with; but how many bad ones are there that don't know how to handle themselves or don't refer to their parents for advice on each deal? A lot.. and that's part of the problem too. This is a very complicated, tangled situation.
*PM Me for list via Beckett* My Scans via SkyDrive in High Quality: http://sdrv.ms/M6f5eD
F5 Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5 Penguin View Post
I hear you completely. By no means am I saying that there aren't respectable kids on here that know how to handle a business transaction, but that's the exception to the rule.

There are scammers everywhere, I agree 100%. I think you're doing the right thing and there's a good handful of the young ones on here that I'd have zero problem dealing with; but how many bad ones are there that don't know how to handle themselves or don't refer to their parents for advice on each deal? A lot.. and that's part of the problem too. This is a very complicated, tangled situation.
Yes it is. I know that many people probably wouldn't agree with this though, but what about an automatic ban if you have a 90% or under positive feedback? I think that it would weed out some of the scammers.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #45 (permalink)

Regardless of people's hurt feelings and general 13-year-old behaviour, this is the problem:

Quote:
I also believe that according to law if any of us who are over 18 commit to a trade/sale with a minor here, but the minor does not follow through on their end, nothing can technically be done since entering contracts with minors is null and void.
I personally won't deal with people I know are under 18.
Ooosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #46 (permalink)
Banned

Now now, you're talking to me also now. Something wrong with me?
ttmtrader101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

I have done SOOOO many high end deals with many people and they have never had a problem with me.
ttmtrader101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmtrader101 View Post
Now now, you're talking to me also now. Something wrong with me?
I think that it's a generalization referring to everyone under 18.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #49 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooosh View Post
Regardless of people's hurt feelings and general 13-year-old behaviour, this is the problem:

I personally won't deal with people I know are under 18.

But Ooosh, how do you know they are under 18? Unless you ask or they mention it, its not something that is typically talked about here. I am sorry for my somewhat childish behavior in the OP as well; I guess I just get tired of kids playing the "we're just here to collect and have fun" excuse. Trust me, we're all here to do that guys...but we are of age. I can press the ignore button on kids threads, but I am just sort of surprised how often minors make deals here, and how it seems to go unnoticed.
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowe12 View Post
But Ooosh, how do you know they are under 18? Unless you ask or they mention it, its not something that is typically talked about here. I am sorry for my somewhat childish behavior in the OP as well; I guess I just get tired of kids playing the "we're just here to collect and have fun" excuse. Trust me, we're all here to do that guys...but we are of age. I can press the ignore button on kids threads, but I am just sort of surprised how often minors make deals here, and how it seems to go unnoticed.
I think that everyone knows that I'm under 18, but people still do deals with me, because I have a good reputation with only a few mistakes,