Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #76 (permalink)
Member
 
hohlernr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 1,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-train10 View Post
Why not just have a "shorter leash" on the younger members, myself included? I've built up my reputation too well for it to be taken down by a couple immature kids.
lol, a shorter leash? How about we have no leash? If you want to participate in buying or selling, please stick with eBay.

I understand some underage kids are very responsible, but most aren't and I don't think you can argue that. It may be a bummer for those under 18 to not have the ability to participate on the b/s/t forum, but it would be the best decision for the majority of the fourm.
hohlernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #77 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Empire State✈
Posts: 5,685
Send a message via Skype™ to Strasburg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlernr View Post
lol, a shorter leash? How about we have no leash? If you want to participate in buying or selling, please stick with eBay.

I understand some underage kids are very responsible, but most aren't and I don't think you can argue that. It may be a bummer for those under 18 to not have the ability to participate on the b/s/t forum, but it would be the best decision for the majority of the fourm.
I understand your point, but if you care about the hobby, you would hope that it can be passed on to the next generation, correct?

How can you make sure that the next generation might be interested if you are discouraging kids from Buying cards for their collection?
Strasburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #78 (permalink)
Member
 
mcgoo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,137
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5 Penguin View Post
I'm in agreeance on the deals b/s/t side of things. In some states it's even against the law to make a transaction over the Internet with a minor. So on that, yes, they should not be dealing, esp for the reasons you mentioned.

Otherwise, let the boys be boys. I'm 25 and was on forums at 13 learning the ropes in this hobby among others. I have no issue with most of the young ones on the site and would hope the older generation would take kind and help them out when in need.
I second this notion. I believe minors aren't held legally responsible to an online contract. That's why it needs to be cosigned by a legal guardian.

Edit: Straight banning or restricting anyone from a discussion forum (ie. anything but b/s/t) seems like a knee jerk reaction with no real merit besides "kids are annoying."
__________________
Always looking for Minnesota Twins cards/memorabilia!!

My Photobucket: http://s526.photobucket.com/albums/cc343/mcgoo2_2008/

Last edited by mcgoo2; 09-03-2012 at 12:58 PM.
mcgoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #79 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 10,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohlernr View Post
lol, a shorter leash? How about we have no leash? If you want to participate in buying or selling, please stick with eBay.

I understand some underage kids are very responsible, but most aren't and I don't think you can argue that. It may be a bummer for those under 18 to not have the ability to participate on the b/s/t forum, but it would be the best decision for the majority of the fourm.
In my opinion, the buying/selling/trading isn't the problem. Look at the younger members who posted in here. Thier feedback is fine, maybe a mark here or their, but overall, it's no worse than some adults on here. I think it's the silly threads/posts that we (Myself included) post. I have no issues buying and selling here. Occasionally, I'll get the lost in the moment, and post a silly comment here or there. Should I be banned, or not allowed to do what I like most because of it? Just because I'm not 18 doesn't mean I can't enjoy this hobby just like everyone else. I can handle my transactions like an adult. I'm not going to let other younger members ruin my experience here because they can't act like an adults when needed. i dnt typ like dis, I feel as if I contibute positively to the community, but some may say otherwise.
__________________
I only ship to confirmed US addresses. Sorry to all out of US collectors.

I do require immediate payment when selling.

Please allow 2 business days for me to ship. I greatly appreciate that.
a-train10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #80 (permalink)
Member
 
WilsonValdez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Temporarily Suspended
Posts: 9,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-train10 View Post
In my opinion, the buying/selling/trading isn't the problem. Look at the younger members who posted in here. Thier feedback is fine, maybe a mark here or their, but overall, it's no worse than some adults on here. I think it's the silly threads/posts that we (Myself included) post. I have no issues buying and selling here. Occasionally, I'll get the lost in the moment, and post a silly comment here or there. Should I be banned, or not allowed to do what I like most because of it? Just because I'm not 18 doesn't mean I can't enjoy this hobby just like everyone else. I can handle my transactions like an adult. I'm not going to let other younger members ruin my experience here because they can't act like an adults when needed. i dnt typ like dis, I feel as if I contibute positively to the community, but some may say otherwise.
I just would like to say that you are a shining example of what minors can be, on this board and in this hobby. You make well thought out posts, don't draw attention to yourself for stupidity and are a very good trader/seller/buyer,etc.

In fact, I like you (and your contributions) so much, that I would take you out for ice cream (if I was allowed to....stupid Megan's Law ).
__________________
"I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminshes fear." - Rosa Parks
WilsonValdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #81 (permalink)
Member
 
lemur01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
I just would like to say that you are a shining example of what minors can be, on this board and in this hobby. You make well thought out posts, don't draw attention to yourself for stupidity and are a very good trader/seller/buyer,etc.

In fact, I like you (and your contributions) so much, that I would take you out for ice cream (if I was allowed to....stupid Megan's Law ).
He's a minor? Never new.
__________________
Pull my Finger Have you been Lemur'd today?

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 PM   #82 (permalink)
Member
 
Ajax1723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hatfield, PA
Posts: 13,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strasburg View Post
I understand your point, but if you care about the hobby, you would hope that it can be passed on to the next generation, correct?

How can you make sure that the next generation might be interested if you are discouraging kids from Buying cards for their collection?
Kids can still enjoy the hobby without buying in an internet card forum.

You still have eBay, retail stores, hobby shops, etc. What did you do before this Blowout?

For the record, I agree with the fact that a symbol/mention that someone is a minor on their profile, but with 3 additions.

1) You can still deal with a minor if you want to, but it's at your own risk.
2) If neg feedback is left because someone won't deal with a minor, it can be removed.
3) If it's found out a minor has faked their birthdate, they can be banned.
__________________
Evan Longoria Supercollector!
1,039 different cards and counting!
ALWAYS Looking for Longoria cards I don't have!
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #83 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 10,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmtrader101 View Post
Should I start a thread for "feedback" amongst people under the age of 18 and 2 lists, one being who can be trusted and the second being who cannot? A-Train was the REASON I joined this site a while back. Saw his AMAZING collection of starts and prospects in the B/S/T part of the board, and wanted to be like him. He was very mature and I couldn't tell how old he was. People like that would be on the 'Trusted' list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
I just would like to say that you are a shining example of what minors can be, on this board and in this hobby. You make well thought out posts, don't draw attention to yourself for stupidity and are a very good trader/seller/buyer,etc.

In fact, I like you (and your contributions) so much, that I would take you out for ice cream (if I was allowed to....stupid Megan's Law ).
Thanks, I appreciate both compliments. I do my best to fit in around here, but I don't know if me being under the age of 18 was a "surprise" to some.

And WV, I'd take you up on that offer, but ice cream "through the mail" sounds just as good
__________________
I only ship to confirmed US addresses. Sorry to all out of US collectors.

I do require immediate payment when selling.

Please allow 2 business days for me to ship. I greatly appreciate that.
a-train10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #84 (permalink)
Member
 
Thommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowe12 View Post
but I am just sort of surprised how often minors make deals here, and how it seems to go unnoticed.
I call BS on this. If any members have ever had a kid use his age as an excuse for a transaction gone wrong please say so. I don't believe it happens.
__________________
Vin Scully is a Poet
I Collect The The Sultan of Swag, The King of Dash, The COOLossus of Clout, The Great BamDEEno, Dee Gordon!
My Bucket: http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/Thommy69/library/?sort=3&page=0

Last edited by Thommy; 09-03-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Thommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #85 (permalink)
Member
 
Ajax1723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hatfield, PA
Posts: 13,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommy! View Post
I cal BS on this. If any members have ever had a kid use his age as an excuse for a transaction gone wrong please say so. I don't believe it happens.
So you haven't heard about any of the negatives that have been given because a 15 year old on here didn't send a package or have buyer's remorse after they bought something, or seller's remorse because they still want the card or even worse, their parents won't let them sell or ship it.
Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
__________________
Evan Longoria Supercollector!
1,039 different cards and counting!
ALWAYS Looking for Longoria cards I don't have!
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #86 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,097
Default

I have no problem with younger members contributing to the board, just as long as they don't act like fools. I was in the same boat as they are now joining some boards in 2003, when I was 12. If younger members are able to communicate effectively and think before they post, there is no problem with them being a part of the community. It gives a broader perspective and gives insight on topics from a wider audience.

To the younger members, I would like to offer a bit of advice. Please don't post topics without thinking them out. This is often where many members seem to get frustrated and think contributions are worthless. Also, please look over your post and make sure they make sense and are spelled correctly. It is very difficult trying to figure out what is being said when there are many misspellings, lack of capitalization, and lack of punctuation. Input from younger members is a good thing, as long as the point you are trying to make is clear.

There shouldn't be any reason why members view you as immature and young. As long as you make the effort to have quality posts, there won't be an issue. I learned very quickly, when I started posting at the age of 12, that I was just going to be harassed if I made my age known and made useless posts. I'm now 21 and it still amazes me that some people my age lack the communication skills necessary to provide quality to the boards. As long as you make an effort to add substance to topics and not get off topic and troll, older members will have a much better time accepting you and viewing you as an equal.
JReyesCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #87 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Empire State✈
Posts: 5,685
Send a message via Skype™ to Strasburg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
Kids can still enjoy the hobby without buying in an internet card forum.

You still have eBay, retail stores, hobby shops, etc. What did you do before this Blowout?

For the record, I agree with the fact that a symbol/mention that someone is a minor on their profile, but with 3 additions.

1) You can still deal with a minor if you want to, but it's at your own risk.
2) If neg feedback is left because someone won't deal with a minor, it can be removed.
3) If it's found out a minor has faked their birthdate, they can be banned.

I was actually not collecting before blowout. I quit back in 2009 because i had/have no LCS and got bored of eBay. I also quit because i had no one to talk with about the hobby.
Strasburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #88 (permalink)
Member
 
Thommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
So you haven't heard about any of the negatives that have been given because a 15 year old on here didn't send a package or have buyer's remorse after they bought something, or seller's remorse because they still want the card or even worse, their parents won't let them sell or ship it.
Just because you don't hear about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Has it ever happened to you personally?
__________________
Vin Scully is a Poet
I Collect The The Sultan of Swag, The King of Dash, The COOLossus of Clout, The Great BamDEEno, Dee Gordon!
My Bucket: http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/Thommy69/library/?sort=3&page=0
Thommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #89 (permalink)
Member
 
Ajax1723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hatfield, PA
Posts: 13,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommy! View Post
Has it ever happened to you personally?
I have not had any deals go wrong on here (yet), but at the same time, I am very careful about who I deal with on the site, so I most likely wouldn't have put myself in that situation anyway.
__________________
Evan Longoria Supercollector!
1,039 different cards and counting!
ALWAYS Looking for Longoria cards I don't have!
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #90 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 10,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
Kids can still enjoy the hobby without buying in an internet card forum.

You still have eBay, retail stores, hobby shops, etc. What did you do before this Blowout?

For the record, I agree with the fact that a symbol/mention that someone is a minor on their profile, but with 3 additions.

1) You can still deal with a minor if you want to, but it's at your own risk.
2) If neg feedback is left because someone won't deal with a minor, it can be removed.
3) If it's found out a minor has faked their birthdate, they can be banned.
Yeah, to be honest with you, this site has really kicked off my collecting. I used to by a few packs of cards here or there, but this site is where I learned about prospects, about when the next local card shows are, all the fakes and whatnot being sold on eBay, and that you could buy and sell over the internet.

Before I joined here, I'd only buy retail (Back then, I thought everything was the same and didn't know retail from hobby) from Walmart. Now I know a lot more (Which still isn't much compared to the big guys around here) about the collecting community.
__________________
I only ship to confirmed US addresses. Sorry to all out of US collectors.

I do require immediate payment when selling.

Please allow 2 business days for me to ship. I greatly appreciate that.
a-train10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #91 (permalink)
Member
 
Homerun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-train10 View Post
Yeah, to be honest with you, this site has really kicked off my collecting. I used to by a few packs of cards here or there, but this site is where I learned about prospects, about when the next local card shows are, all the fakes and whatnot being sold on eBay, and that you could buy and sell over the internet.

Before I joined here, I'd only buy retail (Back then, I thought everything was the same and didn't know retail from hobby) from Walmart. Now I know a lot more (Which still isn't much compared to the big guys around here) about the collecting community.

That's exactly what happened to me. I have learned a lot from this site, and I enjoy it a lot.
__________________
I collect Paul Konerko/White Sox autographs and blue refractors! Let me know what you have.
Homerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #92 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Empire State✈
Posts: 5,685
Send a message via Skype™ to Strasburg
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-train10 View Post
Yeah, to be honest with you, this site has really kicked off my collecting. I used to by a few packs of cards here or there, but this site is where I learned about prospects, about when the next local card shows are, all the fakes and whatnot being sold on eBay, and that you could buy and sell over the internet.

Before I joined here, I'd only buy retail (Back then, I thought everything was the same and didn't know retail from hobby) from Walmart. Now I know a lot more (Which still isn't much compared to the big guys around here) about the collecting community.
The exact same for me. Always bought retail as i didn't know the difference.

Also, didn't know anything about prospects etc. before blowout.
Strasburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #93 (permalink)
Member
 
Ajax1723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hatfield, PA
Posts: 13,381
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-train10 View Post
Yeah, to be honest with you, this site has really kicked off my collecting. I used to by a few packs of cards here or there, but this site is where I learned about prospects, about when the next local card shows are, all the fakes and whatnot being sold on eBay, and that you could buy and sell over the internet.

Before I joined here, I'd only buy retail (Back then, I thought everything was the same and didn't know retail from hobby) from Walmart. Now I know a lot more (Which still isn't much compared to the big guys around here) about the collecting community.
And that's fine, but I'm saying the transactions part should be limited. You said you came here and learned about all the different places you could buy and stuff, and Strasburg just mentioned how he learned about prospects. You didn't need to sell something here to learn that.

I'm not saying don't let minors buy and sell here, I'm saying let other members know who they are dealing with. I'm sure many here will still do transactions with minors, but this gives the opportunity for those that don't to know who they are trying to make a deal with.
__________________
Evan Longoria Supercollector!
1,039 different cards and counting!
ALWAYS Looking for Longoria cards I don't have!
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #94 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
Kids can still enjoy the hobby without buying in an internet card forum.

You still have eBay, retail stores, hobby shops, etc. What did you do before this Blowout?

For the record, I agree with the fact that a symbol/mention that someone is a minor on their profile, but with 3 additions.

1) You can still deal with a minor if you want to, but it's at your own risk.
2) If neg feedback is left because someone won't deal with a minor, it can be removed.
3) If it's found out a minor has faked their birthdate, they can be banned.
Minors aren't supposed to be buying or selling on eBay, either....eBay just turns a blind eye to it.
westerngac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #95 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North East Ohio/ Pittsburgh Area
Posts: 1,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thommy! View Post
I call BS on this. If any members have ever had a kid use his age as an excuse for a transaction gone wrong please say so. I don't believe it happens.
You haven't had any transactions here...how can you call bs, or even speak about the topic. Kids don't use their age as an excuse; I mean they use their maturity and ignorance as an excuse (I don't know how to print out a paypal label, I don't know how to get DC on package.) I have had one such encounter with something like this, which was explained in another thread.
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #96 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
That's exactly what happened to me. I have learned a lot from this site, and I enjoy it a lot.
But we do not enjoy you. You say we have to deal with you asking "any Konerko?" Umm no. You need to either grow up or you will be gone. I have dealt with younger members and they have been 95% great. You are in the minority of kids who don't get it. If you do not change, you will go the way of hog, papiis, and sidthekid. Learn or leave.
__________________
Check Out My Cards ID = fungi2510

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:39 PM   #97 (permalink)
Member
 
Homerun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungi2510 View Post
But we do not enjoy you. You say we have to deal with you asking "any Konerko?" Umm no. You need to either grow up or you will be gone. I have dealt with younger members and they have been 95% great. You are in the minority of kids who don't get it. If you do not change, you will go the way of hog, papiis, and sidthekid. Learn or leave.
What are you talking about? I never scammed anyone. Aside from that PM thing, which I'm not doing anymore, I haven't done anything that would give me consequences.
__________________
I collect Paul Konerko/White Sox autographs and blue refractors! Let me know what you have.
Homerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #98 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 3,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
What are you talking about? I never scammed anyone.
Where does he say that? Anywhere in that paragraph, where does it say you scammed someone? I'm going to go get popcorn. Be right back
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #99 (permalink)
Member
 
Homerun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theautographkid View Post
Where does he say that? Anywhere in that paragraph, where does it say you scammed someone? I'm going to go get popcorn. Be right back
I don't understand what he's telling me. I don't know what I did wrong.
__________________
I collect Paul Konerko/White Sox autographs and blue refractors! Let me know what you have.
Homerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #100 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,750
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
What are you talking about? I never scammed anyone. Aside from that PM thing, which I'm not doing anymore, I haven't done anything that would give me consequences.
Never claimed you scammed, but guess what kiddo, you can be a waste of forum bandwidth without scamming. You add very little and annoy very much. You also talk like a big man, but cry like a teenage girl. I made no question, just a statement: either grow up or leave.
__________________
Check Out My Cards ID = fungi2510

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.