Blowout Cards Forums
Super Break

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #101 (permalink)

I dont think having an age limit is fair...Im only 17 and I think I do a good job of being mature and always coming through on deals.
darscards35kd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #102 (permalink)

Oh and your signature is too long. So annoying.

Check me out on Sport Lots.
http://www.sportlots.com/inven/invenbin/dealerpage.tpl?dealer=mkeil250
fungi2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #103 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to ChicagoCubsWS

I'm 18 so I am in the clear, but I have been here for a few years and have had no problems. When it comes down to it, its a case by case basis. Some kids are annoying as hell and shouldn't be allowed, but some are fine and should be allowed.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungi2510 View Post
But we do not enjoy you. You say we have to deal with you asking "any Konerko?" Umm no. You need to either grow up or you will be gone. I have dealt with younger members and they have been 95% great. You are in the minority of kids who don't get it. If you do not change, you will go the way of hog, papiis, and sidthekid. Learn or leave.
Well, I'll give you this. You just had the balls to put bluntly what many, many people were thinking but did not want to say. So kudos for that...although it might've been a little harsh, but hopefully it's taken as a lesson, versus an all out attack.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:59 PM   #105 (permalink)

Alright guys, I got the hint. I'm not going to post as much anymore. Obviously you guys aren't mature either, but I'm not going to talk about it any more.

Last edited by Homerun; 09-03-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Homerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #106 (permalink)

It all depends on the member. I'm only 16, but you wouldn't probably know it.
seancoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #107 (permalink)
Banned

Wait, if we have an age limit we should also have some sort of test to make sure threads get posted in the correct section as I am still trying to figure out how this is baseball related.
vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #108 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

An age limit is a horrible idea.
Some people only have this as a way to acquire cards.
ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/shabagel

Last edited by shabagel; 11-04-2012 at 06:34 PM.
shabagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #109 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReyesCollector View Post

To the younger members, I would like to offer a bit of advice. Please don't post topics without thinking them out. This is often where many members seem to get frustrated and think contributions are worthless. Also, please look over your post and make sure they make sense and are spelled correctly. It is very difficult trying to figure out what is being said when there are many misspellings, lack of capitalization, and lack of punctuation. Input from younger members is a good thing, as long as the point you are trying to make is clear.
+10000. The younger generation has grown up with/around Facebook, Twitter, and instantaneous social media that has created a quick trigger with anything and everything related to the internet and online socialization. Though such sites welcome and thrive off of spur of the moment, thoughtless banter and conversation, such etiquette does not necessarily apply to all internet social networks, with BO being one of them. I know not all "kids" act as as such (with adults being guilty fairly often as well), but the sooner they realize that differences exist the better things will be for both them and the rest of us.

I realize that this is, after all, just the interwebz, but there are still social parameters that must be met for an individual to be interacting properly. If you can find something on Google, please save the bandwidth and do so. If your question has probably been asked before, use that "Search" button and git 'er dunn. If you're posting on someone's break thread, at least be courteous and congratulate/console them on their pulls before pestering them with your own needs. The internet may not be the end-all for social interactions, but it doesn't mean we should treat it as our own personal playground.

Always looking for Galaxy and soccer autos & patches!
KingTaco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #110 (permalink)

This thread is dumb. Really dumb, actually.
gamboooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #111 (permalink)
Inactive Account

I think your second idea is good, so people could easily see if a member they want to make a deal with is of age or not. By they way, I'm 15, just to let you know. Anyways, I don't think a separate section for minors is necessary and it probably wouldn't work. There probably aren't enough people here under 18 to give a section like that enough contributions (not enough people to post). And the number of intelligent minors is even fewer. Every now and then I hear older collectors talk about how there aren't enough kids in the hobby to keep it alive for the next generation. As a kid, being able to learn more about the hobby and sports in general will definitely help the hobby's future, and overall knowledge of it amongst the youngsters. Most of the younger members, if not all, display some sort of immaturity or lack of common sense at one point or another. This includes myself. As long is it's not along the lines of trolling or scamming, and only shows up in a few of that person's posts, it's not a big issue. A valid argument against minors on the board is making deals with them. If anyone doesn't feel comfortable making a deal with me because of my age, I completely understand that. People shouldn't feel in danger of being scammed out of their hard earned money or cards on these forums. I've never had any problems making deals on here, and my iTrader reflects that. But it's totally clear that someone may not want to trust an anonymous 12 year old with their money. Just a few things that I think the kids here need to understand are one, you need to be able to take joke without whining about it, two, when making a transaction, you are handling real money and cards, and you need to take it seriously, and three, if you can't do it naturally, try to make some sort of a conscious effort to not act immature every time you post.
robertr1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #112 (permalink)

for what its worth. i never knew there were so many teenagers on these boards until you guys started saying your age lol. makes me wonder how many people are my age or older that still collect?? i think im gonna make a poll just to see. alot of you guys that say your 15 & 16 though act more mature then people i know twice your age so ill give you that
Jeremy Kerley
Super Collector
mrchipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #113 (permalink)

FYi i just posted a age poll in the off topic section check it out and answer
Jeremy Kerley
Super Collector
Old 09-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #114 (permalink)
Banned

I just want to say that although some people find this thread or my ideas dumb, that they are by no means right. I just am really saying that I think some sort of action should be taken to ensure the safety of ALL members (the emblem idea). I understand it is almostimpossible to monitor minor's thread subissions, or check ages when signing up. My opinion is that there should be some parameters when dealing with minors here, that's all.
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #115 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowe12 View Post
I just want to say that although some people find this thread or my ideas dumb, that they are by no means right. I just am really saying that I think some sort of action should be taken to ensure the safety of ALL members (the emblem idea). I understand it is almostimpossible to monitor minor's thread subissions, or check ages when signing up. My opinion is that there should be some parameters when dealing with minors here, that's all.
for what it is worth i actually agree with you and belive in most states to do any deals with minors for over a certain amount of money requires parental consent but not too sure.
Jeremy Kerley
Super Collector
Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #116 (permalink)

An age limit isn't necessary. Younger members who can't handle posting/doing transactions show themselves as such. Members who are <18 and have 50+ feedback don't need to identity their age because at that point it's irrelevant since they've already proven themselves to be responsible. In short, don't trust people who type poorly and seem immature in messages (and neither is hard to point out) if you don't want to deal with minors (or ignorant adults).
Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #117 (permalink)
GA0

I think it would be equally fair if the emblem idea was used not only for minors, but for immature adults and shady dealers on here as well. Why should we be the only ones getting marked? As previously stated by many a people in here, the group of youth on this board isn't entirely bad.
John Wall sucks, send me all his autos for $5 a piece
GA0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #118 (permalink)

This thread confirms what I have been thinking for a long time. This board is full of kiddies.
hoopster3977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #119 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowe12 View Post
If you're going to go that route, please don't stop at age. I'd want badges for people incapable of rational thought. For instance, in your OP, what does it matter if the seller uses insurance or DC on an item from the buyer's perspective? Here's the answer, it does not. Delivery confirmation is only necessary to protect the seller in the PayPal dispute process. "But it lets me track the card to my doorstep!" Who cares... It will show up in 2-3 days. You don't need status updates in the meantime. Insurance protects the seller against risk of loss. If a card is damaged while in transit, the buyer is getting his money back in lieu of the card whether or not insurance was purchased. Along similar lines and for practical purposes, it does not matter that contracts entered into by minors are voidable. On smaller transactions, you aren't going to pursue a legal remedy against anyone regardless of age, as you'd spend more money going after the guy than the card is worth. On higher-end deals, just because a contract is unenforceable doesn't mean the kid can keep the card without recourse. You could get the police involved, he'd have to return the card, and he'd be facing criminal charges. If he sold it in the meantime, you could probably recover it from the third party. It's pretty much the same procedure you'd go through if the thief was 50, 70, 90, etc.

I'd also want a badge for anyone who complains about a shipping charge they agreed to pay in the first place. In a perfect world, they'd have their internet privileges revoked.

There are a million things that take place on these boards that could/should piss off a rational person. I'm just saying calling for an age limit on a message board devoted to a hobby with a substantial minor population is dumb. Especially considering there are a ton of mouth breathing dopes here who are 18+. Research who you're dealing with beforehand, use your best judgment, and you'll be fine. We don't need an age limit.
gamboooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:57 PM   #120 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster3977 View Post
This thread confirms what I have been thinking for a long time. This board is full of kiddies.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #121 (permalink)
GA0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
If you're going to go that route, please don't stop at age. I'd want badges for people incapable of rational thought. For instance, in your OP, what does it matter if the seller uses insurance or DC on an item from the buyer's perspective? Here's the answer, it does not. Delivery confirmation is only necessary to protect the seller in the PayPal dispute process. "But it lets me track the card to my doorstep!" Who cares... It will show up in 2-3 days. You don't need status updates in the meantime. Insurance protects the seller against risk of loss. If a card is damaged while in transit, the buyer is getting his money back in lieu of the card whether or not insurance was purchased. Along similar lines and for practical purposes, it does not matter that contracts entered into by minors are voidable. On smaller transactions, you aren't going to pursue a legal remedy against anyone regardless of age, as you'd spend more money going after the guy than the card is worth. On higher-end deals, just because a contract is unenforceable doesn't mean the kid can keep the card without recourse. You could get the police involved, he'd have to return the card, and he'd be facing criminal charges. If he sold it in the meantime, you could probably recover it from the third party. It's pretty much the same procedure you'd go through if the thief was 50, 70, 90, etc.

I'd also want a badge for anyone who complains about a shipping charge they agreed to pay in the first place. In a perfect world, they'd have their internet privileges revoked.

There are a million things that take place on these boards that could/should piss off a rational person. I'm just saying calling for an age limit on a message board devoted to a hobby with a substantial minor population is dumb. Especially considering there are a ton of mouth breathing dopes here who are 18+. Research who you're dealing with beforehand, use your best judgment, and you'll be fine. We don't need an age limit.
Best post in this thread
John Wall sucks, send me all his autos for $5 a piece
GA0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #122 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post

You can write me a 10,000 word essay if you like, but you're still missing the point. Its against the law to agree to a contract with a minor. If anything should go wrong when b/s/t with one, you're at risk because of the laws in this country. Therefore, why can't there be an emblem in peoples profiles showing they are under 18? That way people KNOW the risk before doing the transaction. Then its up to people to choose if they want to deal with the minor or not is all I'm saying. There's no wasting time in asking someone their age...the emblem is there if they are underaged, its not if they are 18+. I don't see the issue in that being a bad idea.

As far as the OP...it does not matter if they use DC or insurance until an issue arises with the transaction (buyer doesn't receive card). I am generalizing, but the times that has happened to me, its always been a minor sending the card. I just think some of the younger guys should be educated on the mailing and paypal shipping processes.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #123 (permalink)

Age limit of 17 and above sounds good to me
Old 09-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #124 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDaMan View Post
Age limit of 17 and above sounds good to me
I know I titled the thread "age limit anyone?", but this is really about identifying the minors for transaction purposes. Anyone who is a minor should be allowed to come on here and learn about collecting, as that's why blowout is as awesome as it is. Plus, some of the minors here are some of the best b/s/t guys on the forums. My only idea was the emblem to make identifying them easier so you can make an educated decision BEFORE yougo through with the deal.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #125 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipz View Post
for what its worth. i never knew there were so many teenagers on these boards until you guys started saying your age lol. makes me wonder how many people are my age or older that still collect?? i think im gonna make a poll just to see. alot of you guys that say your 15 & 16 though act more mature then people i know twice your age so ill give you that
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchipz View Post
FYi i just posted a age poll in the off topic section check it out and answer
Direct link

How old are you?
Bars and Bar is online now   Reply With Quote