Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #126 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowe12 View Post
You can write me a 10,000 word essay if you like, but you're still missing the point. Its against the law to agree to a contract with a minor. If anything should go wrong when b/s/t with one, you're at risk because of the laws in this country. Therefore, why can't there be an emblem in peoples profiles showing they are under 18? That way people KNOW the risk before doing the transaction. Then its up to people to choose if they want to deal with the minor or not is all I'm saying. There's no wasting time in asking someone their age...the emblem is there if they are underaged, its not if they are 18+. I don't see the issue in that being a bad idea.

As far as the OP...it does not matter if they use DC or insurance until an issue arises with the transaction (buyer doesn't receive card). I am generalizing, but the times that has happened to me, its always been a minor sending the card. I just think some of the younger guys should be educated on the mailing and paypal shipping processes.
It is not against the law to contract with a minor. I explained it in my 10,000 word essay.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #127 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboooler View Post
It is not against the law to contract with a minor. I explained it in my 10,000 word essay.
Then I guess its case closed then.
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #128 (permalink)

Fun fact

If you trade with a minor you can do absolutely nothing to get your money back if something goes awry. Binding contracts can not be issued between minors and adults. Best you can do is take them to small claims when they turn 8 (good luck). Therefore there should be an age limit.
tonedef2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #129 (permalink)

Quote:
Then I guess its case closed then.
It should be as you made that your central point, but I'm sure it'll be something else next.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #130 (permalink)

I've said it once, I'll say it as many times as I have to. By "limiting" or "excluding" younger members ruins the hobby for us. I understand some of us are by all means, unreliable but I'd say that it shouldn't be taken out on the rest of us.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedef2oo8 View Post
Fun fact

If you trade with a minor you can do absolutely nothing to get your money back if something goes awry. Binding contracts can not be issued between minors and adults. Best you can do is take them to small claims when they turn 8 (good luck). Therefore there should be an age limit.
First, there are things you can do. As I explained earlier, just because a contract is voidable, doesn't mean the kid gets to keep the card. Second, as a practical matter, you are S.O.L. if someone runs off with your card regardless of age. Are you going to hire a lawyer and go after someone over $500? Even if you go to small claims on your own, you pay the filing fee, and you win, how are you going to collect?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #132 (permalink)

The few minors on here use better spelling and grammar than most of the members.

Unless a few of them told you, you probably wouldn't know they were under 18. I think that they should be able to stay.

The hobby was originally built for them, and so why are they being torn from it?
Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #133 (permalink)
Banned

Would you rather have the hobby be kids going around trading with whom ever, just for trading, getting those 'shiny' cards and looking for their favorite player, and not trying to find people to do a fair deal, and using all this SV and whatnot to make the deal as fair as possible for someone to make money. I do this to have fun and make a little in the process. No body else does this in my school. I stumbled across this site, and was having fun and making money. Whats the point of this site if kids with good feedback and such, like myself cannot trade? Then I would not be on here, not have amazing cards, and sit at home playing video games or other stuff with my friends...
ttmtrader101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #134 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttmtrader101 View Post
Would you rather have the hobby be kids going around trading with whom ever, just for trading, getting those 'shiny' cards and looking for their favorite player, and not trying to find people to do a fair deal, and using all this SV and whatnot to make the deal as fair as possible for someone to make money. I do this to have fun and make a little in the process. No body else does this in my school. I stumbled across this site, and was having fun and making money. Whats the point of this site if kids with good feedback and such, like myself cannot trade? Then I would not be on here, not have amazing cards, and sit at home playing video games or other stuff with my friends...
No one said you wouldn't be able to trade....you're proving my point that minors rarely read and understand what's going on.
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:14 PM   #135 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bars and Bar View Post
Direct link

How old are you?
thanks! lol lot of members already participated
Jeremy Kerley
Super Collector
mrchipz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #136 (permalink)

Quote:
No one said you wouldn't be able to trade....you're proving my point that minors rarely read and understand what's going on.
You don't understand how to read and "what's going on" because this is supposed be posted in the "Suggestions" area.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyagain View Post
You don't understand how to read and "what's going on" because this is supposed be posted in the "Suggestions" area.
I was going to post this, but I'm off duty. (Forum police officer)
I collect Andre Johnson.
Bars and Bar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #138 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, there's a good way to get more kids into the hobby. Generalize all of them. I mean, you've been here for 6 months, so you must know all. Stop. The truth is that the most of us can handle our business around here. I'm not saying all, but most (As in 95%) of the people in this thread who are under the age of 18 are well-respected members.

I do require immediate payment when selling.

Please allow 2 business days for me to ship. I greatly appreciate that.
a-train10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #139 (permalink)

I like the idea of having kids on the forum. They are the future of the hobby, if people can't take jokes put them on ignore. If that's not good enough, find another forums. My son is into collecting and I love to see the younger generations collecting. Let them learn from the knowledge that is found on this forum.
babyfaceposey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman109ner View Post
I've said it once, I'll say it as many times as I have to. By "limiting" or "excluding" younger members ruins the hobby for us. I understand some of us are by all means, unreliable but I'd say that it shouldn't be taken out on the rest of us.
A few random thoughts as I was reading this thread:

1) I have no problems with minors that are at 100% feedback, and say 50+ Itrader. TTMtrader, Strasburg, Homerun, ATrain, etc

2) I'd at least like to see ALL minors get a emblem on this site, at least till they hit 50 Itrader and 100% positive feedback

3) About half or more of the minors whining in this thread have had past problems B/S/T as you can tell from their feedback.

4) I completely agree with a ban on any age member with positive Itrader feedback under XX%, wether it's 90% or whatever.
Supercollecting Dillon Overton
Mrpokey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #141 (permalink)

Hard to ban minors from a site devoted to talking about sports cards, lmao...Cards were for kids to collect...adults turned it into a game, obviously when adults on this site take the game seriously they don't want minors stepping on their toes, but it's just what you have to deal with.
Cubs_rock21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #142 (permalink)

This whole thread is an off-shoot of a thread I posted a few days ago about the legal ramifications and consequences stemming from attempting to contract (B/S/T) with a minor. That thread did not receive many responses, and, after reading this thread, I am a little frustrated.

All of the members I have come across who are under 18 are very trustworthy and enthusiastic about the hobby. In my thread, I discussed the legal problems associated with attempting to contract with a minor. While this topic was lightly addressed in this thread, there has yet to be an example (from a member of any age) of a law, regulation, ordinance or Court holding which stands for the notion that an adult attempting to contract with a minor can retain equal footing in the transaction (i.e., could enforce the contract against the minor after substantial performance is completed).

My thread was created to point out a possible flaw in the online world of buying, selling and trading cards with people of unknown status (age of majority) from the Internet. I hoped that someone (possibly a mod or someone with extensive knowledge of Internet commercial sales) would see my thread and explain what safeguard(s) is/are in place to deal with such situations. That has not happened; rather, several threads have popped up discussing immaturity, grammar and whether school is back in session.

Those topics do not concern me as much as legally sound, well-reasoned statements concerning the rights of parties entering into a minority/majority contractual obligation. Quite honestly, I would love to see one of our more junior members address these matters, as doing so would exemplify the type of maturity and education which will serve you better in 10 years time than a "mojo-tastic" pull.
ScooterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #143 (permalink)

Being one of the older members here, I do at times take exception to some of the posts/threads made by some of the younger members.

I will encourage for the hobby to include teenagers/young adults to be a part of this fantastic hobby. I get disappointed by some of the behavior and gang mentality though. I get really annoyed at the B/S//T board, with the lowball offers, people wanting an Ebay discount on fees, etc. I know what the value of my cards are, and please respect that opinion. But it happens all too frequently.

I've been selling on Ebay for over 10 years, I have a Powerseller and Highest Seller rating. I do treat buyers, sellers, and hobby collectors as I want to be treated.

In the years of selling, the worst transactions I have ever had are by teenagers that use their parents Ebay and PayPal accounts. Especially the buyers, they feel they have a hammer to either extort feedback by asking for refunds, or monitary adjustments to invoices. If mistakes are made, they use it to their full advantage instead of realizing a mistake has been made and will not work with me to make the transaction either successful or satisfactory for both parties. There is no compromise, which I hope they will learn with experience.

I am glad this came up for discussion, don't let the immature members ruin it for our other younger members that want to get established and gain respectability.
hoopster3977 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #144 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to rtaylor16

hi everyone im new here but i hope to at least commit some help here. i am also a minor being 15 but ive been in cards since i was born because my dad used 2 own a card shop up in new jersey and then when i was 6 i started collecting so im not going to be like other minors i also got a lot of great stuff that i will upload pics of on sat.ill have 2 tell my dad about this site because he might like it as well well guys i g2g bc im at school laters.p.s.(sorry about the texting language
rtaylor16 is online now   Reply With Quote