Blowout Cards Forums
4/4/14 Coupon

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Age Limit Anyone?

I apologize for being adamant about this, but I feel as if something needs to be done here. As stated in a thread a few days ago, none of us really know how old anyone else is here (unless someone's grammar and spelling is so terrible, then its quite obvious. ). With that being said, in the last couple of weeks there have been quite a few ignorant (ignorant of the forum rules of course) threads and posts coming from members under the age of 18. Trust me, I do not mean to exclude you younger guys from being here, as most of us started collecting cards when we were younger.

However...

Some of you (Well, in my opinion MOST of you; sorry to generalize, but prove me wrong here) are not mature enough to handle this site. You are not mature enough to commit to buy/sell/trading with other members here, or use the proper mailing and confirmations (DC and insurance on expensive cards) when sending cards out. I also believe that according to law if any of us who are over 18 commit to a trade/sale with a minor here, but the minor does not follow through on their end, nothing can technically be done since entering contracts with minors is null and void.

Perhaps I am in the minority here, but I think something needs to be done about the younger members. Heres a couple of my ideas:

1. I am not saying exclude them completely from the site, but rather give them an area in the forums where they can go and do their own thing perhaps? Just an idea.

2. Make it so that any new member who wants to sign up here provide some sort of age verification (just as we do when we want to host group case breaks). If the age provided is under 18, the profile should have a blowout emblem or some marker to let everyone in the forums know "Hey guys, I am a minor here."

3. Those kids who are under 18 can submit threads on the forums, but they will NOT be posted until a mod can review them. I know that would be a TON of work on Robert and the other mods...but I feel like this would be huge way to keep these pointless troll threads off of the front page.

Sorry to nag...just wanted to make a point. Back to trolling everyone.

Any Konerko?
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

I say let them stay. Its great entertainment IMO.

Currently hoarding mountains of cards that I should be trading.
lemur01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowe12 View Post
I apologize for being adamant about this, but I feel as if something needs to be done here. As stated in a thread a few days ago, none of us really know how old anyone else is here (unless someone's grammar and spelling is so terrible, then its quite obvious. ). With that being said, in the last couple of weeks there have been quite a few ignorant (ignorant of the forum rules of course) threads and posts coming from members under the age of 18. Trust me, I do not mean to exclude you younger guys from being here, as most of us started collecting cards when we were younger.

However...

Some of you (Well, in my opinion MOST of you; sorry to generalize, but prove me wrong here) are not mature enough to handle this site. You are not mature enough to commit to buy/sell/trading with other members here, or use the proper mailing and confirmations (DC and insurance on expensive cards) when sending cards out. I also believe that according to law if any of us who are over 18 commit to a trade/sale with a minor here, but the minor does not follow through on their end, nothing can technically be done since entering contracts with minors is null and void.

Perhaps I am in the minority here, but I think something needs to be done about the younger members. Heres a couple of my ideas:

1. I am not saying exclude them completely from the site, but rather give them an area in the forums where they can go and do their own thing perhaps? Just an idea.

2. Make it so that any new member who wants to sign up here provide some sort of age verification (just as we do when we want to host group case breaks). If the age provided is under 18, the profile should have a blowout emblem or some marker to let everyone in the forums know "Hey guys, I am a minor here."

3. Those kids who are under 18 can submit threads on the forums, but they will NOT be posted until a mod can review them. I know that would be a TON of work on Robert and the other mods...but I feel like this would be huge way to keep these pointless troll threads off of the front page.

Any Konerko?

I lol'ed.

But seriously, I'm in agreement. The freaking kiddie corral around here has turned these forums into an even smellier turd than it once was.

I'm all for age limits, but it'll never happen.
WilsonValdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Strasburg

Coming from someone who is a minor, but does their best to fit in:

There should be some type of test they give members under 18, and depending on how they anwser (and depending on their maturity level, reaction to certin situations) they can either be accepted or denied
Sent from U.S Airways WiFi
Strasburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
I lol'ed.

But seriously, I'm in agreement. The freaking kiddie corral around here has turned these forums into an even smellier turd than it once was.

I'm all for age limits, but it'll never happen.
Sadly, it will never happen I know. I guess Im just getting tired of seeing 12 year olds try to run auctions on here, or 14 year olds not using DC when sending cards (even though its free when printing out labels from paypal). Sigh. What is this forum coming to Wilson?

haha
blowe12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to whywhy

no way that the part about reviewing all threads could ever hapen, but i think that maybe under 15 should just not be allowed to create threads (if that is possible?)
Old 09-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Sadly, it will never happen I know. I guess Im just getting tired of seeing 12 year olds try to run auctions on here, or 14 year olds not using DC when sending cards (even though its free when printing out labels from paypal). Sigh. What is this forum coming to Wilson?

haha
I couldn't tell you........I don't have any balls.
WilsonValdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
GA0

It depends. There's certainly a ton of adults here that don't act their age either. I'm 18 for at least another half-year, and i've been 100% with my trades and whatnot. I don't want my site experience bogged down because of a couple kids who get into it with a couple equally immature adults.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
GA0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strasburg View Post
Coming from someone who is a minor, but does their best to fit in:

There should be some type of test they give members under 18, and depending on how they anwser (and depending on their maturity level, reaction to certin situations) they can either be accepted or denied
This. It shouldn't be limited to minors, the maturity test should be given to all members lol.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA0 View Post
This. It shouldn't be limited to minors, the maturity test should be given to all members lol.
You got any Cliff's Notes?

Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

I think this thread is more immature than many of the younger members. I believe that the way we treat kids is unbelievable. It's beyond my belief why any mature adult would use the "When does school start?" comment. It's rude and immature. There are many forum members such as Strasburg, who are <15 yrs old, but are valued members of this community. Besides, these kids don't do anything wrong to you (except for maybe ignore you), so in 1 post you have done more wrong to Homerun ("Any Konerko?" is an insult IMO) than he has done to you in his 1000+ posts. The hobby has been on the decline for a while now, and by alienating the younger collectors, you are not goiing to help it return to it's former glory.

I don't mean to nag either, just sharing my opinion!
Thommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Threads like those of the "auction kid" and the memorable "i met josh hamilton omgzzz" make me ashamed to be 14. Because whenever things like that happen, the age limit threads come up.

Its just like a bummer to me because i love to collect, buy, sell and trade just like the next guy.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Great thread...even though I'm a minor, (1 more year!). I like the emblem, or marker, thing that you suggested
but besides the point...I have a Konerko that my dog just ripped in half if you want it
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:

However...

Any Konerko?

They could also review a thread to make sure it is posted in the correct area, I am still trying to figure out how this is baseball related.

vc15jrich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

Where do I sign? I'm all in for an age limit. I'm 19 but it feels like 190 when I see some of these kids on here.... >_<
W_Raoul2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to F5 Penguin

I'm in agreeance on the deals b/s/t side of things. In some states it's even against the law to make a transaction over the Internet with a minor. So on that, yes, they should not be dealing, esp for the reasons you mentioned.

Otherwise, let the boys be boys. I'm 25 and was on forums at 13 learning the ropes in this hobby among others. I have no issue with most of the young ones on the site and would hope the older generation would take kind and help them out when in need.
*PM Me for list via Beckett* My Scans via SkyDrive in High Quality: http://sdrv.ms/M6f5eD
F5 Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA0 View Post
It depends. There's certainly a ton of adults here that don't act their age either. I'm 18 for at least another half-year, and i've been 100% with my trades and whatnot. I don't want my site experience bogged down because of a couple kids who get into it with a couple equally immature adults.
I agree with this. I'm 15 and have completed all my transactions on this without a hitch. Implementing restrictions like the OP stated would hurt the user experience of this site for those who's actions do not warrent said restictions. Also, creating a seperate section for "us" to "do our thing" how exactly would this work and what purpose would it serve?
Bucket: http://s1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee514/mhs201496/
mhs2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #18 (permalink)

That's a lot of work for the mods to do.

I'm all for age restrictions, but what are we going to base it on, the honor system? Who's to say some nine year old won't list his age as 74 and continue bragging about his Chansey Stuckey jersey card screening-free? The screening similar to group breaks sounds fine, but it'd take a truckload of time. And would it really be that effective?

On paper, it seems like a great idea. But with all of the work needed to be done, is it really worth it? Let them have their fun.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
GA0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur01 View Post
You got any Cliff's Notes?
I like that Three 6 Mafia
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5 Penguin View Post
I'm in agreeance on the deals b/s/t side of things. In some states it's even against the law to make a transaction over the Internet with a minor. So on that, yes, they should not be dealing, esp for the reasons you mentioned.

Otherwise, let the boys be boys. I'm 25 and was on forums at 13 learning the ropes in this hobby among others. I have no issue with most of the young ones on the site and would hope the older generation would take kind and help them out when in need.
Good post.

I try and help these kids when I see them using words like "I'm being attacked" or "Everyone hates me". These kids take the internet too seriously.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemur01 View Post
Good post.

I try and help these kids when I see them using words like "I'm being attacked" or "Everyone hates me". These kids take the internet too seriously.
Part of the problem is the kids who don't get jlznck's and wilsonvaldez's sarcasm/jokes.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #22 (permalink)

OMG I just realized....the vagina in your avatar looks sorta like an eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonValdez View Post
I couldn't tell you........I don't have any balls.

415 is yours, homie.
TrueNE_09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #23 (permalink)

I have read this forum for over a year but just recenly joined. This forum is good for laughs I'll give you that but for you to post on another thread acting like a "minor" instigating something like a kid, then you think there should be a age limit? I think this thread is a joke.
USAFDODGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 AM   #24 (permalink)

Here we ago again. Blah blah blah age limits. Blah blah blah frickin' kids. Blah blah blah restrictions. Age verification? Please. Much like getting beer, a savy or desperate enough kid would just get an older person's help (possibly for a small fee) to get them on to the site. Mod verification for threads? Who is going to pay them for their time for going through that crap. An area just for kids? Do we seriously need a kiddie table, like at a wedding reception or Thanksgiving dinner? Grow the hell up, ignore the little punks if you don't like what they contribute, and just keep on keeping on without letting them get to you. Sure the "Got any Konerko cards?" type of posts become repetitive, but that's why we have the ability to ignore members with a few clicks of a mouse and a bit of typing.
ilovethelakings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to F5 Penguin

People not understanding other people is a commonality in life in general. Social gatherings are supposed to eliminate the constructs and wall that living in different societies/parts of the world have placed on us. Plus, it takes even more time to understand jokes and sarcasm on the net.

We, as the older generations, need to teach and show tolerance and respect for the younger group. We need to stop being these "big bad internet bullies" and keep making derogatory comments to the next bunch of kids, only to turn around and complain that the hobby is dying.

This isn't a territorial thing.. It's a place for a group of like-minded individuals of all ages to come and share a love for something. Let's start acting like the "mature adults" we claim to be and make life easy for all.

Inb4 "It's only the internet, we can do what we want." More and more the Internet is bleeding into real-life as just an extension of what we do everyday. Let's try more to eliminate the charade and actually act as how you'd act, and, as corny as it sounds, live by the Golden Rule.

(Of course, there's exceptions to the rules, like the ones who don't want to try and fit in, the "know-it-alls" and the overly abrasive kids. For those, ignore and move on. Don't exacerbate an issue..)
*PM Me for list via Beckett* My Scans via SkyDrive in High Quality: http://sdrv.ms/M6f5eD
F5 Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote