Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 05:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Veteren's Day Promo

Let me first say I have never been in the service but they I respect them more than any other profession. Veteren's day is on November 12. I would love to see BO have a promo just for service members. To avoid scumbags taking advantage, service members/vets should show their military id.

Just a thought.....
Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting idea. On behalf of present and past service members, thanks for the support.
mac.nokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to vetspts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeel View Post
Let me first say I have never been in the service but they I respect them more than any other profession. Veteren's day is on November 12. I would love to see BO have a promo just for service members. To avoid scumbags taking advantage, service members/vets should show their military id.

Just a thought.....
Though I appreciate the support.. since the new military ID cards have scanable traits to them I would suggest some other form of verification or obscuring the ID in a way that protects the individual.

Active Duty with an approved retirement date!
vetspts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is a tough one as so many people want to be war heroes without actually getting out there and signing a contract. As a disabled veteran, it is good to have a discount from time to time, but I would rather not as I don't feel I did anything more than anyone else that didn't serve. Just a career path I took, even if it did end the wrong way.
mscoon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetspts View Post
Though I appreciate the support.. since the new military ID cards have scanable traits to them I would suggest some other form of verification or obscuring the ID in a way that protects the individual.

Active Duty with an approved retirement date!
wish i was that far in, 14 years left, me and the wife both!
johnnyblazee04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblazee04 View Post
wish i was that far in, 14 years left, me and the wife both!
You know what.... 10 yrs ago I was in your same shoes... minus the wife aspect of it. It will go quick enough. Just don't wait until your last few months to start planning your after military career.

Slowly working on my "retirement set" the 1952 Topps, 1/1 Ripken's from Topps Sterling and various O's... both vintage and modern rares.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Based on the actions of a couple of the current and former military members on this board, I think this is a terrible idea. Although the sentiment is a good one, people who threaten to kill other members or back out of deals and proceed to act like arrogant rear ends deserve squat IMO.

Last edited by Andrew Jones; 10-21-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Grammar
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

It is against the law for photo copies to be posted of ID cards. I believe a valid military supported email link would be appropriate. AKO/DKO etc... I'd enter in a heart beat.
Srt42004n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones View Post
Based on the actions of a couple of the current and former military members on this board, I think this is a terrible idea. Although the sentiment is a good one, people who threaten to kill other members or back out of deals and proceed to act like arrogant rear ends deserve squat IMO.
Don't base other people's actions on a whole group.... every group has them period. If they use their background the wrong way, that's on them... not the military, club, union or whatever they claim ties to. It's petty when they try to do that, but they don't represent me or others who have honorably served... they are the exception. Like you said... "actions of a couple of the current and former military members".... a couple versus millions of veterans. Don't get me wrong.... I'm not downplaying their actions... I am asking that you step back and not stereotype the rest of the veterans on this board.

Slowly working on my "retirement set" the 1952 Topps, 1/1 Ripken's from Topps Sterling and various O's... both vintage and modern rares.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I agree with this for the most part...and beyond that, it would just be a hassle-and-a-half for them to verify if people are actually in the service.

Why not just have a good sale open to everyone? Would be much easier to do...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetspts View Post
Don't base other people's actions on a whole group.... every group has them period. If they use their background the wrong way, that's on them... not the military, club, union or whatever they claim ties to. It's petty when they try to do that, but they don't represent me or others who have honorably served... they are the exception. Like you said... "actions of a couple of the current and former military members".... a couple versus millions of veterans. Don't get me wrong.... I'm not downplaying their actions... I am asking that you step back and not stereotype the rest of the veterans on this board.
I am by no means stereotyping all current/former servicemembers. However, the practical reality is if a discount was offered like the OP suggested, the two members I referenced would be entitled to receive it. That's BS IMO. Unfortunately in life, the actions of a select few often ruin something for an entire group. It often isn't fair, but that's life. Again, I think the OP's sentiment is good but it would bother me to know that certain less-than-upstanding people were getting discounts that some of the solid people out there weren't.
Andrew Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

I don't think you can ever go wrong giving a little perk to the men and women who serve or have served in the military. And I don't care if a couple of jerks get some cheap cards along the way.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I am by no means stereotyping all current/former servicemembers. However, the practical reality is if a discount was offered like the OP suggested, the two members I referenced would be entitled to receive it. That's BS IMO. Unfortunately in life, the actions of a select few often ruin something for an entire group. It often isn't fair, but that's life. Again, I think the OP's sentiment is good but it would bother me to know that certain less-than-upstanding people were getting discounts that some of the solid people out there weren't.
I understand you completely... I sometimes wonder myself and get irratated at the ones who bring negative attention to the services. I have found that in alot of groups there is always "that guy" who is just a knuckle head. Your point on the discount could be looked at differently... if anyone decided to do a discount based on a certain group, most businesses couldn't segregate who got the discount and who didn't unless there was something specifically disruptive. I'm sure you know that, I just put that out there. I just wouldn't want to be one of those "solid people" you mentioned that would miss out... , nor would you if the roles were reversed.

I'd rather be a pain in @#$ for other reasons, than try to screw with people. I hope my opinions don't seem too biased, I've only been doing the military "thing" since 89. Almost time for me to come back stateside and learn to be a civilian.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm happy being a civilian for the last 40 years after my service in the Marines. It does give me flashbacks when someone disses the military in any way. Some of these posts remind me all to well how it felt coming home from Vietnam. Hopefully these people will grow up someday, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Some people will never like giving discounts to anyone. Or any respect. It's made them what they are today.
just-for-cards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #15 (permalink)

I vote that BO does a promotion where anyone who makes a purchase and enters a promo code (i.e. vet2012) is entered for a chance to win a prize and a % of that purchase goes to organizations who help military members and families whether active, reserve, retired, injured etc.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

We can no longer scan our military cac cards anymore. I think a valid ako/dko email address should suffice. It seems that some of my fellow military brethren have tarnished the outlook on service members. I would like to personally apologize for their actions. It always seems like the bad sticks out more than the good. Don't let them form you opinion of the group of us on here that actually take pride and conduct ourselves in a military manner. Thanks op for bringing this up, but I too don't believe I should be entitled to anything more than the normal price. Please remember my good buddy Nick Fredsti who was KIA June 15th of this year in Afghanistan along with every living and deceased that has put on the uniform to serve this great country.

Last edited by hxcdavidjones; 10-23-2012 at 03:39 AM.
hxcdavidjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by just-for-cards View Post
I'm happy being a civilian for the last 40 years after my service in the Marines. It does give me flashbacks when someone disses the military in any way. Some of these posts remind me all to well how it felt coming home from Vietnam. Hopefully these people will grow up someday, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Some people will never like giving discounts to anyone. Or any respect. It's made them what they are today.
I'm honored to see your post and recognize the hardships you witnessed in Vietnam. From one generation to another..... thank you! I witnessed first hand a second homecoming (For Vietnam Vet's) so to speak when I marched in NY City for the Victory Parade after Desert Storm. I already had respect for the Vet's from your Era, but that really opened my eyes to how you Vet's were treated initially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassking511 View Post
and a % of that purchase goes to organizations who help military members and families whether active, reserve, retired, injured etc.
I like this idea, there are a lot of various charities that focus on the Vet's and their families. I would suggest any that deals with the families that have lost loved ones in Combat. Thanks, VET

Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcdavidjones View Post
Please remember my good buddy Nick Fredsti who was KIA June 15th of this year in Afghanistan along with every living and deceased that has put on the uniform to serve this great country.
Thanks for your post, and I'm sorry for the loss of your Buddy Nick.... I'm certain he gave his life to something he truelly believed in. I'm guessing he was part of the 25th ID. I've lost friends from the Pacific military community as well.