Blowout Cards Forums
2014 holiday shipping promo

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 5% price drop to bump your Sales thread?

I have seen this work well on other forums for buyers/sellers. Basically sellers have to drop their price at least 5% each time they bump their thread. This way we can see the seller is actually making an effort to sell the item and the buyer feels like they are getting a better deal as well.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? I think it would reduce clutter and people bumping their threads 5+ times to no response. I guess the downside may be that people would price too high to begin with, but isn't that a problem already?

I apologize if this has been suggested before, seems like a good idea and I've seen both buyers and sellers happy in making deals using this method.
letsgoSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

I don't think it'd work that great. You'd get guys who purposely won't bite when the thread is first made because they know if that's the case, they will be able to get it at a lower price each time the thread is bumped.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you want to sell.. It'll work
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

it should kick in after x amount of bumps, like 5. some times u find buyers in different days or time slots. shouldnt penalize cause soneone doesnt buy right away.

Likes: football, color patches, autos, Bryce Harper, josh Hamilton, Boston sports teams, Eli manning, Derek Jeter.
cardboxbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboxbreak View Post
it should kick in after x amount of bumps, like 5. some times u find buyers in different days or time slots. shouldnt penalize cause soneone doesnt buy right away.
I could see something like this working. It just makes for a better market, sellers aren't left wondering why no one is responding to their thread. Buyers aren't endlessly looking at overpriced threads.

Sure, some buyers would wait for price drops, but it only takes one person to jump in and mess up others' plans to wait for drops.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

No. Sellers should be able to advertise and price our cards at the value we choose. No one should be forced to discount their cards! We can discount our cards without some mandated rule forcing us to do so.

Should we also make a rule that forces all buyers here to buy at the last sold EBAY price? No.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

It sounds like a good idea, but it will just lead to sellers overpricing their cards even more so that they are still at market value even after 4-5 bumps.
Ajax1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

that is a dumb idea. people can sell their cards for whatever price they want. if you don't like the price, don't buy the card. there shouldn't be set rules for what people have to price their cards at.

and ajax is right on the money. there are too many loop-holes. i could just make a new thread everyday instead of bumping and keep the same price.

and there is a reason people bump their threads. price could be good, just not the right person saw it yet. i bumped a thread 10 times and sold the card for full price cuz the right collector came along.

Check out my eBay store for great cards at great prices! Everything set OBO!
HOFcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax1723 View Post
It sounds like a good idea, but it will just lead to sellers overpricing their cards even more so that they are still at market value even after 4-5 bumps.
Or after 4-5 bumps just don't bump it again and start a new thread the next week. Prices really can change dramatically over a week and so a new thread would be acceptable.

I don't really have an issue at all with the board. Is it annoiying to see 5-6 threads from the same poster on the front page? Sure. Is it enough to lose sleep over? No. These posters always fizzle out.
1968 Topps Johnny Bench RC PSA 9
batottu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Won't work... people already create multiple threads with the same card for sale in it as well as creating new threads.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you don't like their price submit an offer less than they are asking and see if they will accept it, if not move on.
jasoncardmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sounds like a bunch of babies chiming in who can't imagine anything different than the normal on these boards.
dhendrix1303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

i have an idea how about you don't put this in the wrong section, and this ain't fcb where your thread stays on the main page for 3 days, it'll be page 6 after 24 hours
Old 04-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

I like it.....
coyne81486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout View Post
i have an idea how about you don't put this in the wrong section, and this ain't fcb where your thread stays on the main page for 3 days, it'll be page 6 after 12 hours
Fixed it.

And OP, no. As others said, buyers come in at different times. I have a lot already priced roughly 25% below eBay. If I don't get a bite today, and I bump it up tomorrow, no way I drop that 5%. I'll just throw it on eBay at that point and take my $$. Most people who sell on here don't need to sell on here, they can go to eBay if they want. Just easier on here.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendrix1303 View Post
Sounds like a bunch of babies chiming in who can't imagine anything different than the normal on these boards.
yeah this is a great idea for change, something that will never work on this forum...go over to FCB where they make dumb, unnecessary changes like this all the time and pretty much put the transaction forum at a standstill

why change it if it isnt broken? people just get pissed because god forbid someobe has their prices set so they cant make a 50% profit on everything they buy

Old 04-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Maybe we could start a new punishment for posting threads in the wrong section as well? :P
Bradforddorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuccionino View Post
Fixed it.

And OP, no. As others said, buyers come in at different times. I have a lot already priced roughly 25% below eBay. If I don't get a bite today, and I bump it up tomorrow, no way I drop that 5%. I'll just throw it on eBay at that point and take my $$. Most people who sell on here don't need to sell on here, they can go to eBay if they want. Just easier on here.
I have pretty much stopped selling on here. I was tired of all the low ball offers on stuff. Easier to get my money on ebay and pick up items I want on here. I would rather pay fees then have people pm stalking me 10 times with low ball offers. If my cards don't sell on ebay, I throw them in a box.
babyfaceposey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaceposey View Post
I have pretty much stopped selling on here. I was tired of all the low ball offers on stuff. Easier to get my money on ebay and pick up items I want on here. I would rather pay fees then have people pm stalking me 10 times with low ball offers. If my cards don't sell on ebay, I throw them in a box.
Yea, I had a stretch of about 20 sales on eBay profitting more then my asking price here even after fees. It's hard to sell on here.
nuccionino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Good idea but no way of enforcing it really. New threads will be made instead.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Wouldnt others just ask people to help bump it? I dont think this is a great idea at all. Sellers should get to price cards how they would like them..
BBCollector99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Glad to see some discussion was started, I am surprised the idea rustled so many feathers though. My original post wasn't a complaint, my apologies if it came off like that. It was meant to be a suggestion and what better place than the most active section?

I'm confused by some of the comments as well, where did you see sellers wouldn't be pricing their items? The seller sets the original price and rather than dealing with lowballers you can run a few price drops and if no one bites, send it to eBay. Then there's no hard feelings on either party's part.

I suppose I may have underestimated how quickly this board moves, but the bump rule could go a long way in keeping good threads from falling so fast. Obviously there are loopholes and that's why I made the post. If there was enough interest the community could shape the rule to most everyone's liking.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:37 PM   #23 (permalink)

This is a tough place to sell, unless you are selling for >20% under eBay. I have been taking a lot more stuff to ebay lately, and i have been seeing a great increase in profit even after fees. I couldn't sell a trout finest rc on here for $14, my BIN of 25.99 was hit last week. This place is great if you need fast cash, but if you buy to resell its nearly impossible to make any type of profit unless its a huge risk/reward situation.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #24 (permalink)

I agree that idea is a good one but it will never work on this site:

1. Some can't even do the math and discount 5% off their numbers.
2. Will lead to arguement that someone bumped their thread and didn't discount 5%
3. People inflating their prices even more
4. More 'quicksale' threads

Besides, it is their cards, let them sell at the price they want to sell them at. We are not obligated to buy anything here! I despise those people that make an offer, get rejected then have the nerve to bash the seller. Deal with it!

Incoming -
Outgoing -
DetectiveChrome is offline   Reply With Quote