Blowout Cards Forums
Top Shelf

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can we get a coin-nerd thread

A lot of gold/silver/rare coins guys on here. Would be nice to have a section like the comic book guys do.

Would be nicer if BO wanted to start selling metals.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

i second this, that would be awesome to have a separate section for just precious metals
Collecting: Raimel Tapia, Drew Brees
Pejarox7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think we may be alone here dude.
“Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes. You must look into that storm and shout as you did in Rome. Do your worst, for I will do mine! Then the fates will know you as we know you.”
frozenntimesports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

na im with ya.. i have a few coins to throw around..
cmor6855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would enjoy this, as long as the discourse was improved over some of the other parts of the board.
Andrew Luck
HBMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

With these coin threads, all we hear about on these boards is how silver is the investment of the century and how it will keep going up and up...
MasterPattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterPattie View Post
With these coin threads, all we hear about on these boards is how silver is the investment of the century and how it will keep going up and up...
Not sure about the investment of the "century" (as in last 100 years, not just the millennium), some former Kodak, Apple, and Microsoft stockholders may disagree

I'm a "coin" guy, and I use precious metals like I would a bank, except it's MUCH easier to use my debit card at the LCS than to pay with Silver Eagles. I'm honestly not good at saving "cash", but silver/gold is liquid enough, and retains value consistently enough, that it provides a good way for us to maintain a "financial cushion" at times.

BTW, I'd love a sub-forum devoted to this, as I'm not a member on any devoted coin sites. Anyone want to trade their precious metals/coins for cards hit me up
mocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
XL5

Coins and precious metals are two different things.

Coin prices are affected by precious metal prices, but their value is derived from far more that that. Condition, age, collectibility...

Precious metals are simply commodities. Their price is dictated solely by consensus pricing.

But as MasterPattie said, for some reason the metal pumpers come out in droves when coins are mentioned to try to sell silver, gold, etc. It's like going into a baseball card thread and telling everyone to invest in lumber, papermills, and ink.

A coin section would be great, except it would get overrun by metal pumpers.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL5 View Post
Coins and precious metals are two different things.

Coin prices are affected by precious metal prices, but their value is derived from far more that that. Condition, age, collectibility...

Precious metals are simply commodities. Their price is dictated solely by consensus pricing.

But as MasterPattie said, for some reason the metal pumpers come out in droves when coins are mentioned to try to sell silver, gold, etc. It's like going into a baseball card thread and telling everyone to invest in lumber, papermills, and ink.

A coin section would be great, except it would get overrun by metal pumpers.

Well, I like both! However, I rarely buy generic rounds/bars, and never purchased precious metals on "paper".

Morgan dollars are probably my favorite coin, but any 19th century US coins peak my interest. I also like the ones from "rare" mints, especially Carson City, NV; steel pennies, mercury dimes, and walking liberty half-dollars too

Don't forget that bullion "coins" minted by countries typically carry face value (obviously far less than the melt weight would be). Technically, this means silver eagles, maple leafs, pandas, etc can fall under the nusmismatic umbrella, and are priced accordingly in annual coin price guides.
mocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

The Proof Silver Eagles is where it's at IMO
MikeZunino3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

Its up............

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/c...uy-sell-trade/

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/coins-currency/
ajscards101 is offline   Reply With Quote