Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just an idea of how to improve the B/S/T Threads.

So I just had this idea and I thought I'd run it by you guys... I would like your honest opinion: whether you agree or disagree, but stay classy San Diego.

I don't know about y'all but I am really tired of seeing FS/FT threads that are constantly violating rules by members that are fairly new to the boards. I understand there is a learning curve to the site and figuring out the rules, but I just think the way it's being done now is not the most effective way to manage it.

For example (this happens a lot it feels like), a person posts a thread and then bumps 12 hours later, someone comments on their thread and says you have to wait 24 hours (which bumps it for them), and then they can comment in response when it's down in the threads and bump it again. This just doesn't seem fair since a lot of people post the right way and their threads get buried behind these when they are following the rules.

The same when it comes to not having a price or giving little to no info about the card(s) being sold. I swear some members "forget" to post a price so that people will say "you have to post a price" or they give vague descriptions so that people will comment and ask. I don't think this is right and to me violates the rules.

Members do a pretty good job policing the threads, and I know it will never be perfect...

An idea I had is not just telling new members "Make sure you read the rules" because lets face it, a lot of them don't and that's where a lot of the confusion comes from...

So why not make it mandatory when new accounts are made to read the rules and pass a short and simple test that goes over the important rules of posting? This would probably cut down on the posts of people who just don't know better and would make it where no one has any excuse for violating rules and can be punished accordingly.

I just thought of this as a possible simple solution that would cut down on some of the violations, if you have any similar or better ideas I'd love to hear them. Who knows, maybe it will make a difference. I come from the school of thought that you can't complain about something if you're doing nothing to make the situation better, so here's my first attempt. Sorry for the long read and thanks for any input!

Would love to brainstorm with you guys, doesn't hurt to throw out ideas! Let's make this a better experience for everyone!

Last edited by redsraysbball21; 10-10-2013 at 11:43 PM.
redsraysbball21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very good point. Board should look this over.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

sure, sounds like a good idea
californiakron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like a smart idea
phillies347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I honestly don't think that would stop people. The occasional <24hr bump by newbies that don't know the rules is probably far less frequent than the people who know the are bending/breaking bump rules.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

I really don't think its a big deal at all.

You know what is worse... established members who post a bunch of cards and say "Because I have to post a price, I'll say $12,000 OBO. PM me for individual prices".
Old 10-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

I like the idea... But what happens if a member were to fail the test?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
For example (this happens a lot it feels like), a person posts a thread and then bumps 12 hours later, someone comments on their thread and says you have to wait 24 hours (which bumps it for them), and then they can comment in response when it's down in the threads and bump it again. This just doesn't seem fair since a lot of people post the right way and their threads get buried behind these when they are following the rules.
this happens even without the extra bumps....

People post threads for single cards...to get rid of the clutter everyone should have 1 main FS/FT thread open and not a dozen of different ones. Just go back into your old thread/update it and bump every 24 hours
armyatc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveMeTheGum View Post
I honestly don't think that would stop people. The occasional <24hr bump by newbies that don't know the rules is probably far less frequent than the people who know the are bending/breaking bump rules.
Oh I know that that is a big problem, not sure how to fix that except with suspensions and that just doesn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyshelf View Post

You know what is worse... established members who post a bunch of cards and say "Because I have to post a price, I'll say $12,000 OBO. PM me for individual prices".
That's another thing that drives me crazy. The rules say if individual cards are for sale, individual prices must be posted. If it's one price, it's to be sold as a lot. But nothing gets done about it. Thanks for the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbox View Post
I like the idea... But what happens if a member were to fail the test?
I haven't thought that far ahead lol maybe bring them back to the rules, maybe watch a tutorial or something? I would say they could only take it once every 24 hours, which would make them pay better attention when reading them pre-test. It's obviously not perfect but has to be better than what's currently happening.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
this happens even without the extra bumps....

People post threads for single cards...to get rid of the clutter everyone should have 1 main FS/FT thread open and not a dozen of different ones. Just go back into your old thread/update it and bump every 24 hours
Oh I know but I guess what I mean is the extra bumps from people policing keeps the thread at the top. I agree with that as well, but I doubt that part will change. One problem at a time.. lol thanks for the post.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

they should forbid "discussions" and price trolling too. That's how they do it in a toy forum I sell in.

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/items-...yone-read.html
msterling21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just joined a few days ago and noticed the same exact thing. Very annoying!!
Sdog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

I would say that I would like to see something in the B/S/T threads - a clear indication from the seller if they want to communicate with PMs only, or use the thread only. It seems like some sellers won't use PMs while others never check their threads. I understand that queries/offers can be turned down but sometimes you wonder if they were even received.
base set is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Dude. Lame. Don't you know the rules?

Suggestions Box - Blowout Cards Forums

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/jon-s-box-breaks-and-more
jlzinck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)

Even lamer than people who violate the rules are the asshat tattle tales that report and have to comment on every single infraction. Get over yourselves.

America is clearly wheezing its last ethical gasps.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
Dude. Lame. Don't you know the rules?

Suggestions Box - Blowout Cards Forums
Was unaware of this but I don't see how it makes any difference posting there as people mind comment once every 2 weeks. But if this thread is violating rules of the baseball talk section then they can definitely take it down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Even lamer than people who violate the rules are the asshat tattle tales that report and have to comment on every single infraction. Get over yourselves.
Not sure who this is directed at or if it's just in general. Because if I've ever violated any rules I'm unaware of it. Plus I have never reported anyone. I was just trying to do something to help it. I'm sorry if that bothers you
Old 10-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #17 (permalink)

I think it's a good idea, I despise the "I got $30 what you got for me" threads, where half the time guy won't even buy anything.

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/baseball/720443-teamconnors-hr-derby-fundraising-contest.html
charbs91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #18 (permalink)

I am one of these"fairly new members" and would be fine with it. I try my very best to stick to the rules in BST, but I too, have been buried so far deep on day two that I get ZERO responses, At first I thought it was the cards, then I got to thinking. Thinking like the OP.
timelovesahero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

If somebody cannot pass a simple rules test they should not be allowed to post in certain sections of the forum. I am one who will constantly tell somebody who violates the rules that they should read them as it is for their own good.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

As a new member, and someone who has still not read the FT/FS rules, and someone who hasn't put something up FT/FS, I think it's not a bad idea however it won't solve the problem. If people are intentionally doing it, they will continue to intentionally do it. You may only solve 5% of the problem. I think you just have to enforce the existing rules with a bit more authority. Punish repeat offenders with a "no post for 30 days" thing or something.
TheAntiCard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsraysbball21 View Post
Was unaware of this but I don't see how it makes any difference posting there as people mind comment once every 2 weeks. But if this thread is violating rules of the baseball talk section then they can definitely take it down.

Not sure who this is directed at or if it's just in general. Because if I've ever violated any rules I'm unaware of it. Plus I have never reported anyone. I was just trying to do something to help it. I'm sorry if that bothers you
I think we sould sell senses of humor and sarcasm dectctors here too

Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyshelf View Post

And this makes me want to kill a bag of puppies as well.

These posts I do report when I see them because it is a big FU

Old 10-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsraysbball21 View Post

My comment was not directed to you at all. There's just a lot of people on this board who think its their job to police every little infraction, and in my opinion, they're infinitely more annoying than the person that broke the rules.

America is clearly wheezing its last ethical gasps.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlzinck View Post
I think we sould sell senses of humor and sarcasm dectctors here too
I'm a buyer at tree fiddy per...howz manyz youz gotz?
tajikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
the asshat tattle tales that report and have to comment on every single infraction
This ^^^^^ is what makes me mad. Mind your own dang business and if you're not interested in my thread, then just move on.

As for the OP, I like some of the ideas, just don't know what you do in case someone fails the test.
crazy4kinsler is offline   Reply With Quote