Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 05:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default National Sports Collectors Convention Sub Forum

How about a sub-forum in Hobby Talk for the National? People who only go into 1 sport can be missing the chance to learn or share information with others.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Great idea. It gives a chance for both veterans and newbies to have an idea what to expect.

Chicago was my second National last year. I learned so much from my first one in BMore that it was a heck of a lot easier this time around. Still, this would be a great thread.
theblemishedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

any idea on topic threads you would find useful? A few I've thought of are

Attending the Show
Hotels
Area attractions/Restaurants
BO Events at the show
Off-Topic (to keep the "why isn't the National farther west" questions in one place)

Would be fun to plan meetups/trade groups at/after the show. If Cleveland hasn't changed there is way more seating by the "food court" to sit and meet other BO members
Old 02-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would love this!
Clarkandlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

As sad as this sounds, as soon as the dates opened up in Cleveland, I already had my dates booked since last year. To me, it's just a heck of a lot easier booking so I can get the best rates and lock them in.

There isn't much in Cleveland that I know about, but if you have your own means of transportation, there are quite a few things for the family (Cedar Point amusement park comes to mind).

They have the expo in Long Beach, CA that I am extremely jealous of. However, the National always seems to showcase at least 2 premiere products that you can get your hands on before the open market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
any idea on topic threads you would find useful? A few I've thought of are

Attending the Show
Hotels
Area attractions/Restaurants
BO Events at the show
Off-Topic (to keep the "why isn't the National farther west" questions in one place)

Would be fun to plan meetups/trade groups at/after the show. If Cleveland hasn't changed there is way more seating by the "food court" to sit and meet other BO members
Old 02-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

just saw there is a Quaker Steak and Lube close the the IX Center. Good meet-up place for beer/wings!
Old 02-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am going as well and would really like to have a thread topic about it. Especially to compare hotel rates and locations and if they would know if there is shuttle service to IX or not. Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

this should help with some shuttle info The National

I'm going the cheaper hotel route, but I've confirmed that the Super VIP package includes a parking pass.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

From what another dealer told me, there is shuttle service from certain hotels.

Do a hotel search because there are a few hotels missing from that list that are in the area of the convention center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyteamhater View Post
I am going as well and would really like to have a thread topic about it. Especially to compare hotel rates and locations and if they would know if there is shuttle service to IX or not. Thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks I was leaning towards cheaper hotel route and paying to park but most of the "cheaper" hotels seemed to only list shuttle service for airport. Still may get base VIP pass and go every day. Is the extra $29(based on last years prices) worth it for the half hr early entrance, 12 autos of lower tier stars and the VIP card sets with it? I am leaning towards yes but would love opinions from others. Never have gone for more than 2 days so never worth it to get VIP. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblemishedone View Post
Do a hotel search because there are a few hotels missing from that list that are in the area of the convention center.
Very good point! There are many hotels not on that list, and much cheaper. I would search various brands/chains or something like Kayak, then call the hotel to see about shuttle service.

The Wyndham chain (Ramada/Days Inn/HoJo, etc) is offering a 20% discount on 3 nights stay. I'm staying at one of those for 3 nights for under $170 out the door.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you're not going for more than 2 days, then the VIP might be a waste. I'm going from Wednesday to Sunday, so it's worth it for me. Once the free autograph guests begin to appear, then you can probably make a better educated guess.

If you decide to do more than 2 days, it might be worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyteamhater View Post
Thanks I was leaning towards cheaper hotel route and paying to park but most of the "cheaper" hotels seemed to only list shuttle service for airport. Still may get base VIP pass and go every day. Is the extra $29(based on last years prices) worth it for the half hr early entrance, 12 autos of lower tier stars and the VIP card sets with it? I am leaning towards yes but would love opinions from others. Never have gone for more than 2 days so never worth it to get VIP. Thanks.
That's sweet! I'm staying at the Best Western, about 2 miles from the place. I earn points and I don't want to lug around so much stuff. Just easier if I can park, shuttle back and forth, etc. I'm arriving Tuesday, but because I locked my rate it, I don't risk my hotel either selling out or going up in price.

Quote:
Very good point! There are many hotels not on that list, and much cheaper. I would search various brands/chains or something like Kayak, then call the hotel to see about shuttle service.

The Wyndham chain (Ramada/Days Inn/HoJo, etc) is offering a 20% discount on 3 nights stay. I'm staying at one of those for 3 nights for under $170 out the door.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
If you're not going for more than 2 days, then the VIP might be a waste. I'm going from Wednesday to Sunday, so it's worth it for me. Once the free autograph guests begin to appear, then you can probably make a better educated guess.

I sell my VIP autos and extras, as well as my badge for use on Sunday since I leave on Saturday. You're right, it's well worth checking into VIP to see if that is a better option. Collectors on the boards here might be able to find someone to split a badge with for days they aren't using it. Spending less on the extras leave more card money!!
Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

I might have an extra badge, so I'd be willing to part with one of them. I make a ton of money listing cards from Wednesday to Thursday.

Quote:
I sell my VIP autos and extras, as well as my badge for use on Sunday since I leave on Saturday. You're right, it's well worth checking into VIP to see if that is a better option. Collectors on the boards here might be able to find someone to split a badge with for days they aren't using it. Spending less on the extras leave more card money!!
Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I am going at least 4 days for sure so thinking I will get VIP, will wait until auto guests are listed though. I know Doc Gooden was a VIP guest last year, he would have been one I would have liked to get. If I do get a VIP will go all 5 days.
Old 02-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

This sounds like a great idea!
This summer would be pretty insane as I am going to the All Star Game and hopefully the National in a few week span!
I went to Cleveland a few years ago to see an Indians game. Unfortunately, there isn't much to do there. Streets are almost deserted there.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoffee99 View Post
Unfortunately, there isn't much to do there. Streets are almost deserted there.
I found it can be just fun to hang out with other collectors. One friends hotel had a trade nights in the lobby last year.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I found it can be just fun to hang out with other collectors. One friends hotel had a trade nights in the lobby last year.
yea that sounds awesome!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:

That's sweet! I'm staying at the Best Western, about 2 miles from the place. I earn points and I don't want to lug around so much stuff. Just easier if I can park, shuttle back and forth, etc. I'm arriving Tuesday, but because I locked my rate it, I don't risk my hotel either selling out or going up in price.
We just booked the Best Western as well. Seemed to be best rates within the closest distance. We will probably drive since the shuttle only runs once and hour, will leave show for lunch and probably getting the super VIP which will include parking anyways.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

I will work on this as I think it is a great idea.

We would probably close it a few weeks after the national and not reopen it for several months though...
Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini View Post
I will work on this as I think it is a great idea.

We would probably close it a few weeks after the national and not reopen it for several months though...
Great! Enjoyed meeting many BO members last year. Any live group breaks planned for this year??