Blowout Cards Forums
Metro Sports Cards

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
OMG

Default An idea to limit the risk when trading cards online .

Eh guys ,

Heres just a suggestion that would make trading on forums alot more safer . It just an idea for now to get started .

When I first joined this forum , I had 0 feedback , and a member with just 4 feedback contacted me and we made a trade . Because of forum rules I had to send first , so I sent out the cards and he never sent out his cards , he ignored my PM's, I reported him to Mod and found out he ripped of 1 other person .

I wanted to figure out a solution on how to limit the risk . It might take some effort but my idea would be to have a Mod ( someone / or few people , approved by the forum to be the middle man on trades ) Both parties would ship their cards to the Mod , when both cards are received , the Mod would then ship them out to both parties .

There are some disadvantages to this such as paying shipping cost twice , deals make take longer to get done because it goes to 2 places now .
Maybe a small fee might be paid ever time this service is used ? I know some members make trades that are worth few hundred , close to a thousand dollars with no real protection if the other trader decides not to ship the cards out.

It can def be twerked / improved , lmk what you guys think . Is it possible , what would you like to add to it , any other disadvantages , etc .

Thanks
OMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Most people on here are good traders. The mod options is available and there is a process that they follow for that. Usually for high end trades. A trade manager of some sort (allegedly in the process of being developed) would also be another way for members to have some accountability.

Collecting Contenders QB Autos (Selling these off, lost count), Bryce Harper, and Kyrie Irving - PLEASE don't ship to me in a PWE.
adamt326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

#1 - There are no "rules" where you had to send first. This isn't SCF.
#2 - The Mod option has been available forever.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
#1 - There are no "rules" where you had to send first. This isn't SCF.
#2 - The Mod option has been available forever.
Even we both sent first , he wasnt going to do his end and I would of still lost my cards .

The mod option is availble ? Alright , thread closed ,
Old 02-07-2014, 02:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to asujbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG View Post
Even we both sent first , he wasnt going to do his end and I would of still lost my cards .

I didn't say you wouldn't have still lost your items - a scammer is a scammer - but saying it was a rule you had to send first isn't the case.

And I also didn't say that the thread should be closed. Of course this is a place to discuss ideas to minimize risk.

I'm simply saying your Mod idea isn't new. I've done it a bunch of times.
asujbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

you always gotta protect yourself first regardless of any forum rules

use your own common sense, research, judgement.. dont expose yourself to unnecessary risk.. kinda sucks but you just cant be too trusting in this hobby

you are free to trade on any platform, so if the rules put you at too much risk then trade somewhere else

you can also use comc so you dont have to worry about getting paid or getting scammed
Old 02-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by asujbl View Post
I didn't say you wouldn't have still lost your items - a scammer is a scammer - but saying it was a rule you had to send first isn't the case.

And I also didn't say that the thread should be closed. Of course this is a place to discuss ideas to minimize risk.

I'm simply saying your Mod idea isn't new. I've done it a bunch of times.
My mistake , I think the rule on blowout is under 10 feedback ,then you send first .
Old 02-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

The manner that you present yourself when discussing a transaction provides the other party quite a bit of information. Take a look at your message before you send and ask yourself if the message will comfort the other party or make them leery.

When I receive a message that contains shorthand and slang jargon I wonder if that person will take the time to properly package and promptly send my item. Each party should work to assure the other person.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
I wanted to figure out a solution on how to limit the risk . It might take some effort but my idea would be to have a Mod ( someone / or few people , approved by the forum to be the middle man on trades ) Both parties would ship their cards to the Mod , when both cards are received , the Mod would then ship them out to both parties .
FWIW, this is called "escrow."

Quote:
It can def be twerked...
No thanks.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'll rather pay the Mods to do the trades for me.
I send the mod my card, the other guy also send his card to the mod.
The mod then send the card to us.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

I doubt many people would go for this, especially now that shipping costs even more. I would recommend only trading with members that have a good amount of feedback (at least 15). New members can either send first (again, only to those with good feedback), or build up some rep through buying and selling rather than trading right away. I do like the mod idea for higher end trades where shipping cost isn't as large of a percentage of the card's value.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
BlowoutTV

Quote:
My mistake , I think the rule on blowout is under 10 feedback ,then you send first .
No such rule.