Blowout Cards Forums
Start Your Reign of Domination Now with GetTheMachine.com!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > GENERAL INFORMATION AREA > Welcome New Members! *Read here first* > Suggestions Box

Suggestions Box Make suggestions on how we can improve the Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Strict rules for Group Breaks?

Hey everyone. I am a fairly new member to the boards here but I have participated in quite a few Group Breaks that have been administered by some veteran board members. Lately I have seen several newer members running group breaks and there seems to be some serious confusion and arguing going on. Is it possible to create some extremely strict guidelines to follow for running group breaks. Here are some of my ideas everyone else feel free to chime in with what you think.

1. Random will be completed by a MOD, no questions.

2. Three group break formats

2a. Hit break - The first person on the list after the random is complete gets the first hit pulled. Second person gets the second hit pulled, etc.

2b. Draft break - First person on the list after the random is complete gets first choice from all the cards that are available. Second person gets the second choice, etc. Base cards will be counted as a spot and open to being drafted. If the person with the first pick wants to take the base he/she can take them.

2c. Team break - This can be done as a draft or randomly assigned teams. If done as a draft the first person on the list after the random is complete will have his/her choice of teams. The second person will have his/her choice of the remaining teams, etc. If teams are chosen by random, MOD will random the participants then random the teams, the first person on the random list will get the first team on the random list, etc.

3. All breaks will be done live, in addition to being recorded for later viewing. If you don't have the capability to do the break live you shouldn't be doing a group break.

4. Set payment deadlines. If payments are not received by the deadline replace that person with someone from the waiting list.

5. Main pages need to be updated with all pertinent information, including participant list and waiting list, random lists, format changes, pricing and pricing changes, etc.

6. There will be no arguing with the rules of the break. If you don't like the rules go join a youtube break where you will most likely get ripped off.

That's all. I'm done.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think too many rules will just kill any creativity or desire to even do group breaks. My advice to anyone who wants to join a break is to watch and study some of the breaks and who are doing them. If they go off without a hitch then that may be the person who you would trust by sending your money to.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, it seems that if a break is too confusing, it is just avoided and cancelled. Kinda takes care of its self.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to pskell02

This is a horse that has been beaten death many a times here. We have rules set up for the group breaks. A lot of it comes down to trusting the breaker. If a new guy is able to fill up a break and if there are extensive issues, we will generally not allow future breaks to happen. Some guys that are hosting their first or second break often run into a few small snags. There is definitely a learning curve involved with running breaks. Some people can do them with no issues and some have members that complain about the randomization not being live (because they got a bad draw is my suspicion why that was raised). You can't always please everyone.

I'm aware of the break you are referring to and having looked over it, I don't see the breaker to be at fault for everything. Granted, the OP should have been updated with the changes made, but they were so minor that I don't see where some of the complaints are coming from. Seems some people want to make a mountain out of an ant hill.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to iluvfish2 Send a message via Yahoo to iluvfish2

I do have to ask, why do the mods have to do the randomizations? I know this has come up before, but in all honesty thats one of the reasons why the host isnt allowed to be in the break as its keeps them impartial as to who gets what slot.

I do think 5 should be done.

As for # 6...biggest issue here is that there should be enough discussion prior to the break on scenerios that could happen so that if something does come up, the rules already established determine what happens to the card.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Should a separate subforum or threads be created to allow participants to comment/give feedback on specific group breaks that are completed? I know there's itrader, but i think more people will be inclined to see specific threads created about a given group break with positive and negative comments, along with constructive criticism.

i personally believe that would be helpful
messingaroundok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

There could be extra subforums for each type of break, player, team, and hit
Jeremiah 29:11: “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
mnvikingstwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvfish2 View Post
I do have to ask, why do the mods have to do the randomizations? I know this has come up before, but in all honesty thats one of the reasons why the host isnt allowed to be in the break as its keeps them impartial as to who gets what slot.
I do think 5 should be done.

As for # 6...biggest issue here is that there should be enough discussion prior to the break on scenerios that could happen so that if something does come up, the rules already established determine what happens to the card.
I thought of something now that you brought this up....I truthfully would rather have the Mods do all the randoms because of the recent rush of "NEW" group break hosts...im not saying anyone would do this but what if say the host contacts someone or knows someone on here and they are just using there name as a spot in the break but its actually the hosts money instead? I know there is no way to prove that that might happen BUT with the MODS doing the random or the host doing the random live we might not know.....again I just thought of that and i dont know if it was ever brought up
armyatc22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyatc22 View Post
I thought of something now that you brought this up....I truthfully would rather have the Mods do all the randoms because of the recent rush of "NEW" group break hosts...im not saying anyone would do this but what if say the host contacts someone or knows someone on here and they are just using there name as a spot in the break but its actually the hosts money instead? I know there is no way to prove that that might happen BUT with the MODS doing the random or the host doing the random live we might not know.....again I just thought of that and i dont know if it was ever brought up
i've thought the same thing too. but even if this were the case there will be some that complain because the randomizations aren't recorded or don't occur at specific times of the days.

in other words, someone will always complain about something.
messingaroundok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

even if the slots aren't random...... the cards that get pulled are.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnvikingstwins View Post
There could be extra subforums for each type of break, player, team, and hit
yeah, that's what we need. even more useless subforums for people like you to make even more useless posts.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to CaptainBOHICA

here's a good idea.

stop letting n00bs handle everyone's money.
CaptainBOHICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:06 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
here's a good idea.

I have to agree with this one.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Is now a good time to ask if it is still possible to make $1,000 on a Group Break? I hope this fits in to the strict new guidelines.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
Hail to the Victors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBOHICA View Post
here's a good idea.

I have a better one (not directed at the Capt)...

stop letting n00bs handle your money.