Blowout Cards Forums
2016 black friday

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NY Giants Training Camp autographs policy changes...for the worse

Giants tweak training camp autograph policy after messy situation in 2015 | ProFootballTalk

This kind of situation is what really angers me, as a collector.

I only collect who I like, with 95% of my collection from TTM requests.
I only ask for one signature.
I do not push or force my way to the front.
I have never sold or traded anything.

Clearly when adults can't control their actions without infringing on children, and causing a drama, it's bad for everyone.

I am not a Giants fan, but I would be none too happy if I found out that autographs were excluded from adults if I was attending

Unfortunately, the sellers are out in droves everywhere in NYC if there are celebrities or athletes signing. And there are more of them then regular collectors. And it's not hard to see someone's motive when they carry huge satchels full of 8x10s they are churning through to find the next star coming around.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

This is what the autograph game will turn into

Give it 10 years, every place will be like this.
Still a Wade Miley Supercollector I still do not know why
awz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good. Hopefully this encourages more players to sign for kids.
sosablows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I can understand from the team's POV but at the same time they're being incredibly naive if they think this policy is going to solve their issues.

The fact of the matter is that while professional graphers are part of the problem, without a doubt the biggest group of jackwagons in the entire hobby are the super aggressive dads that pimp out their kids, who generally don't care at all, to get stuff for themselves... the type of guys who hand their kids a couple premium items, push and shove to get their kid at the front of the line and then scream for players to "sign for the kids."
nmculbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

The dealers and hounds will just start employing child labor to carry out their deeds...
PejaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PejaD View Post
The dealers and hounds will just start employing child labor to carry out their deeds...
That's already in place... or at least I see a fair amount of that on the baseball side, particularly when any player of note shows up. It's sort of a dead giveaway when you show up with 3-4 kids, each armed with balls or jerseys and looking for all sorts of inscriptions.
nmculbreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

There is a great solution that gives everyone an even chance.

I attended Broncos training camp in 2000, when it was still in Greeley, CO at the University of Northern Colorado. By that point, they had just won two Super Bowls, so interest was very high.

After the afternoon practice, they selected four random players every day to sign for 30-40 minutes. One signature only per player. Everyone lined up, inside the gym near the practice fields and the four players literally walked in, and sat down behind tables lined end to end. You got all four, shook their hand and said hello. Everyone got to get a signature. The beauty of it was they didn't announce ahead of time who was appearing.

That day we ended up getting QB Jarious Jackson, CB Deltha O'Neal, and couple of others. We were told the day before, they had Elway, Shannon Sharpe and a couple of the LBs.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Since the practice moved to the other facility, not in Albany NY, I don't give a two hoots about the practices because I can't go to them anymore.

This will solve the problem of kids being trampled, but odds are that the kids being trampled were by other kids and not adults (28+).
99-00 topps east/west, 04-05 ud black diamond gemography autos, 08-09 topps chrome orange refractors, 09-10 certified, 10-11 donruss cracked ice, 11-12 limited xrc non autos, 12-13 prizm, 12-13 brilliance spellbound letters
tennelson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
Giants tweak training camp autograph policy after messy situation in 2015 | ProFootballTalk

This kind of situation is what really angers me, as a collector.

I only collect who I like, with 95% of my collection from TTM requests.
I only ask for one signature.
I do not push or force my way to the front.
I have never sold or traded anything.

Clearly when adults can't control their actions without infringing on children, and causing a drama, it's bad for everyone.

I am not a Giants fan, but I would be none too happy if I found out that autographs were excluded from adults if I was attending

Unfortunately, the sellers are out in droves everywhere in NYC if there are celebrities or athletes signing. And there are more of them then regular collectors. And it's not hard to see someone's motive when they carry huge satchels full of 8x10s they are churning through to find the next star coming around.
Be honest I am not surprised to be honest, as on a fan forum I belong to OBJ had a handler reminding people that Steiner was the exclusive home to his Certified Autograph.

Eli had the same thing a few years back, so probably a Steiner executive that works with the Giants pushed for this policy.

"Cant get that autograph you want here go to Steiner.com, here is a coupon for free shipping. GO GIANTS!!!"

Follow us on Twitter AND Instagram: @Cavaliercards
Cavaliercards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well considering there was considerable pushing and shoving by adults last year and it was caught on video, (some dope was seen handing his kid to the ground in order to get Odell's autograph) this was sort of expected.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
I can understand from the team's POV but at the same time they're being incredibly naive if they think this policy is going to solve their issues.

The fact of the matter is that while professional graphers are part of the problem, without a doubt the biggest group of jackwagons in the entire hobby are the super aggressive dads that pimp out their kids, who generally don't care at all, to get stuff for themselves... the type of guys who hand their kids a couple premium items, push and shove to get their kid at the front of the line and then scream for players to "sign for the kids."
This pisses me off so much. I feel like calling those people at for that.
RelicCollector is offline   Reply With Quote