Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up Auctionjmm's 2011 Baseball TTM Successes

Thought I'd start my own thread since I plan to send a lot of requests this year. I probably won't have time to scan everything in but I will be as descriptive as possible. If you really need to see one for any reason, PM me.

2/22/11 -
Drew Pomeranz - 2/4 - 8 days. Attempted to sign the chrome but it bled everywhere. I did not powder the BDPP chrome cards because chrome usually sticks, but it smears like hell this year! My bad. Drew ended up signing the backs of 2 cards in thin blue sharpie, so not the greatest start.

2/24/11 -
Mike Moustakas - 1/4 - 10 days. Beautiful blue sharpie on a Bowman Platinum card. Looks awesome.

Dustin Ackley - 2/4 - 10 days. Signed in what appears to be a Blue Staedtler. Personalized both of them, but I may remove one of the personalizations and put it for sale at a card show this summer.

Carlos Santana - 3/4 - 10 days. Thick black sharpie that looks like it's been around the block a few times, but signatures came out bold and clear. I heard he was tough to get at points last year so I'm happy.

Lonnie Chisenhall - 1/4 - 10 days. Black sharpie on a Bowman Platinum card. Very clean and clear signature.

2/28/11 -
Kyle Gibson - 4/4 - 2 weeks. Black sharpie with bible verse. Very clean and no smears.

3/1/11 -
Mitch Moreland - 4/4 - 2 weeks - Black sharpie. Despite not prepping the BDPP chrome cards well, the signatures managed to stick just enough to not be ruined. They look a little runny up close but for the most part they stuck okay.

3/2/11 -
Mike Leake - 1/4 - 2 weeks - Black sharpie and smeared like crazy. Probably my fault for not powdering the BDPP enough. You really have to work those cards!

3/3/11 -
Chris Sale - 4/4 - 2 weeks - Blue sharpie and awesome signatures on all four cards! Very happy with this one.

3/7/11 -
Hank Conger - 4/4 - 3 weeks - Blue sharpie on 2011 Topps cards.

3/14/11 -
MIKE TROUT - 2/3 - 3 weeks - Black sharpie on Bowman Platinum cards. Real psyched about this one! Figured it was a long shot at best but I guess it's still possible to get some big names.

Last edited by auctionjmm; 03-14-2011 at 05:15 PM.
auctionjmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

these are c/o spring training right?
yanksfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes all sent out last Monday or Tuesday.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Dustin Ackley - 2/4 - 10 days. Signed in what appears to be a Blue Staedtler. Personalized both of them, but I may remove one of the personalizations and put it for sale at a card show this summer.

big reason why a lot of athletes wont sign for us through the mail anymore
Old 02-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
And people wonder why athletes today don't like signing much for free.
tehchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

It costs about $100 to send out 50 requests, not counting the cost of the cards. If a few sales will help to cover cost and allow collectors to continue the hobby then players shouldn't oppose. I've been doing this since I was 11 and I wouldn't have lasted more than a few summers if I didn't have the option of selling off my doubles to buy more stamps.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

It might be more fiction than fact, but is there any truth to the thought that the young players are more likely to sign than veterans?

For some reason there's a crapload of "protection" on the cards from 2010 Bowman Draft.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
It might be more fiction than fact, but is there any truth to the thought that the young players are more likely to sign than veterans?
i think thats true. younger players have always seemed more willing to sign in my experience
yanksfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan1 View Post
i think thats true. younger players have always seemed more willing to sign in my experience
I know some, when they first get drafted are really pumped to see themselves on cards for the first time. Also the veterans have been doing this for so long they're probably tired of signing so much by now.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auctionjmm View Post
It costs about $100 to send out 50 requests, not counting the cost of the cards. If a few sales will help to cover cost and allow collectors to continue the hobby then players shouldn't oppose. I've been doing this since I was 11 and I wouldn't have lasted more than a few summers if I didn't have the option of selling off my doubles to buy more stamps.
To each their own, but I was just stating facts. Athletes dont like signing stuff they think will turn into cash for that person. Its PR for most of these guys to sign for kids and their true fans. 99% of them that put "To_____" do it so the person wont turn around and make money off of them. In my opinion, if youre selling them to buy more stamps, selling them to buy an Ipod, or whatever, its not MY purpose of collecting autographs in the first place. I was just stating that a lot of athletes dislike signing autographs for adults because there is always that chance the guy is trying to turn a profit on them.

I'm not saying your a bad guy for doing it or anything, hell if I was hurting for money, needing to pay a bill, or needing to feed my kids, I would do a lot more than sell some autographs you know.... It would just suck if Ackley (nice success by the way) hoped on ebay and seen 1000 of his autographs being sold on ebay that he thought were signed for his true fans. If it were me I'd probably stop signing to.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 AM   #11 (permalink)

I rather have the player put To_____ because it shows they actually took the time to read the letter and find out the person;s name. When I saw this post. I went through my ttms. I think I have about 2 personalization. Lately I been asking players to put "TO my name" because it basically tells them I'm not going to sell the card and turn in for profit. I was talking to the Baltimore Orioles Center fielder Adam Jones one day. I asked him to signed my card. First thing he asked what my plan was.. I looked at him like he had 3 heads. But I told him that I had no plans but to hold onto it. He was like good because a lot of people would go right to ebay and try to make a quick buck.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriolefan123 View Post
I rather have the player put To_____ because it shows they actually took the time to read the letter and find out the person's name.
Only caveat with this is that a lot of times personalizations can be sectarial. (For example, a person signed a bunch of cards/photos ahead of time, and as requests come in, the sec adds a personalization to each one.)

But in terms of ST I'd say 99.5% will take care of their own mail so that isn't an issue. Sometimes it's a timing issue with the player. If they have more items to sign in one sitting they'll probably ignore the personalizations because they could accidentally screw up a name.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

2/28/11 -
Kyle Gibson - 4/4 - 2 weeks -Black sharpie with bible verse. Very clean and no smears.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

3/1/11 -
Mitch Moreland - 4/4 - 2 weeks - Black sharpie. Despite not prepping the BDPP chrome cards well, the signatures managed to stick just enough to not be ruined. They look a little runny up close but for the most part they stuck okay.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

3/2/11 -
Mike Leake - 1/4 - 2 weeks - Black sharpie and smeared like crazy. Probably my fault for not powdering the BDPP enough. You really have to work those cards!

3/3/11 -
Chris Sale - 4/4 - 2 weeks - Blue sharpie and awesome signatures on all four cards! Very happy with this one.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

Nice job with the Tribe farm boys! (and Santana) I need to put up a picture of my poster from the 2009 Aeros championship that's signed by the entire team and staff. (sans the pitching coach who I will get on the 30th of this month)
AndyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #17 (permalink)

3/7/11 -
Hank Conger - 4/4 - 3 weeks - Blue sharpie on 2011 Topps cards.

3/14/11 -
MIKE TROUT - 2/3 - 3 weeks - Black sharpie on Bowman Platinum cards. Real psyched about this one! Figured it was a long shot at best but I guess it's still possible to get some big names.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:14 AM   #18 (permalink)

nice was this your second batch of trouts?
Old 03-15-2011, 07:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmecum51 View Post
nice was this your second batch of trouts?
No I've never tried him before. Everything in this thread is all I've done this year.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

does anyone know if ackley and trout are still signing now that the actual season has started?
thanks
futurechipper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

they are i tried them both
mrfloridadude1 is offline   Reply With Quote