Blowout Cards Forums

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile newbie question

will players sign cards from former teams and how do u tell if its a ghost print.
new2baseballcol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

1. most will
2. it takes time, and a lot of "looking" to understand what a fake will look like. do some research!
tjb811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks bro i didn't know if they would be like no i don't play with them
Old 04-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

sometimes you'll get guys who won't, but like everything else with this hobby, nothing is certain.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

yeah im just trying to start my collection of autos and relics and patches because i only got a ton of base.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

in all my years of graphing i have only come across 3-4 baseball players who wouldn't sign a card of him on a former team.

Most guys barely even notice what they are signing let alone what uniform they happen to be wearing on it.
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

David wells will never sign anything Yankees ever. I seen him with my own eyes tell some guy "I don't sign Yankees sh$#!" and then tossed it at the guy. Ha ha.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
in all my years of graphing i have only come across 3-4 baseball players who wouldn't sign a card of him on a former team.

Most guys barely even notice what they are signing let alone what uniform they happen to be wearing on it.
ok thank you very much
Old 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmecum51 View Post
David wells will never sign anything Yankees ever. I seen him with my own eyes tell some guy "I don't sign Yankees sh$#!" and then tossed it at the guy. Ha ha.
ok i dont have any david wells stuff
Old 04-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I personally stick with certified autos and avoid any IP/TTM unless I see it signed first hand. While this doesn't guarantee an authentic auto, I think it improves your chances.

Lots of [???], [Missing] and #N/A at ROCK BOTTOM PRICES!
Chaddie84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post
I personally stick with certified autos and avoid any IP/TTM unless I see it signed first hand. While this doesn't guarantee an authentic auto, I think it improves your chances.
ok the only reason im doing this is because there are some players who i know i cant get to
Old 04-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

I just sent out my first batch of ttm's. I think its a really fun and cheap was to get autographs. If you're really concerned about it being authentic you can always send it away and get it authenticated.
rcgdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgdodge View Post
I just sent out my first batch of ttm's. I think its a really fun and cheap was to get autographs. If you're really concerned about it being authentic you can always send it away and get it authenticated.
thats what i thought
Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmecum51 View Post
thats crazy! didnt he spend like 3/4 of his career with them? i assumed he would only sign yankees stuff if at all lol
Old 04-20-2012, 09:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

I think I heard Wells prefers to only sign Blue Jays stuff. The rumor I heard years ago, is that he'll only sign Yankees stuff for his kids, so they can say they're the only ones who have it. Orlando Hudson won't sign Dodgers cards (he also won't sign his '08 Allen & Ginter card because it shows someone else...Alberto Callaspo maybe?...can't remember). Sometimes players just don't like a specific card, for some other random reason. Here are a few examples I can think of...

-Marvin Freeman doesn't like his 1989 Donruss card because he doesn't like the way he looks on it.

-Anthony Slama doesn't usually sign his 2009 Bowman...not sure why.

-Gary Pettis doesn't sign his 1985 Topps card because the guy pictured is the Angels batboy. (Usually if a guy's card erroneously shows someone else, he'll usually be okay with signing the back of it or something. But Pettis won't even do that).

-Stubby Clapp used to not sign his 2001 Bowman because he hated that it said "Richard". But since he retired and became a minor league coach, I've heard he does sign it now.

...but generally, if a guy is nice enough to sign, either IP or TTM, he doesn't care which uniform he's pictured in.
Steve2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2112 View Post
I think I heard Wells prefers to only sign Blue Jays stuff. The rumor I heard years ago, is that he'll only sign Yankees stuff for his kids, so they can say they're the only ones who have it. Orlando Hudson won't sign Dodgers cards (he also won't sign his '08 Allen & Ginter card because it shows someone else...Alberto Callaspo maybe?...can't remember). Sometimes players just don't like a specific card, for some other random reason. Here are a few examples I can think of...

-Marvin Freeman doesn't like his 1989 Donruss card because he doesn't like the way he looks on it.

-Anthony Slama doesn't usually sign his 2009 Bowman...not sure why.

-Gary Pettis doesn't sign his 1985 Topps card because the guy pictured is the Angels batboy. (Usually if a guy's card erroneously shows someone else, he'll usually be okay with signing the back of it or something. But Pettis won't even do that).

-Stubby Clapp used to not sign his 2001 Bowman because he hated that it said "Richard". But since he retired and became a minor league coach, I've heard he does sign it now.

...but generally, if a guy is nice enough to sign, either IP or TTM, he doesn't care which uniform he's pictured in.
thank you very much
Old 04-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #17 (permalink)

No problem at all...happy to help. With ghost-signed/secreterial autographs, a lot of it is doing research (either by searching in Google images, or for certified autographs on ebay) to see what the signature is supposed to look like, and comparing it to whatever you got back in the mail. Also, message boards full of other collectors (such as Blowout, Freedom Cardboard, Pat Neshek, etc.) are helpful. Most politician autographs obtained TTM are either secretarial, or autopen (a device that affixes a replica signature on your item). Other athletes I've heard rumors of being ghost-signed in recent years include Ryan Zimmerman, Paul Konerko, Don Zimmer, David Wright. Some notable autopen responses come from Arnold Palmer and Wayne Gretzky. As far as pre-prints go, you can tell by tilting the photo under a light, and the signature is actually part of the photo (it's hard to better explain, but you can tell).
Steve2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddie84 View Post

More for us he he he
Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve2112 View Post
No problem at all...happy to help. With ghost-signed/secreterial autographs, a lot of it is doing research (either by searching in Google images, or for certified autographs on ebay) to see what the signature is supposed to look like, and comparing it to whatever you got back in the mail. Also, message boards full of other collectors (such as Blowout, Freedom Cardboard, Pat Neshek, etc.) are helpful. Most politician autographs obtained TTM are either secretarial, or autopen (a device that affixes a replica signature on your item). Other athletes I've heard rumors of being ghost-signed in recent years include Ryan Zimmerman, Paul Konerko, Don Zimmer, David Wright. Some notable autopen responses come from Arnold Palmer and Wayne Gretzky. As far as pre-prints go, you can tell by tilting the photo under a light, and the signature is actually part of the photo (it's hard to better explain, but you can tell).
ok on the ryan zimmerman im gona try and get in person because im moving to DC in about 2 weeks so i hope to get it