Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default When does signing event(s) become "too expensive"?

I have been watching the leaf inscriptions set very closely, as the card offers a BIG signature/inscriptions area for players, and I like the simple design!! As I am watching these cards, I realized that some players' pack-pulled certified autograph cards are cheaper than their signing events. As we know, some players just don't sign TTM or IP, so our only options are Signing events or Pack-Pulled.

For example:
Scottie Pippen leaf inscriptions - Around $150 - $200 each (Have different variation: HOF, 6x Champ, Dream Team, 7x All-Star, 72-10, 50 Greatest)
Scottie Pippen signing events: $200 for each item ticket, + $99 for inscriptions (only HOF or 6x Champs only)

Magic Johnson leaft inscriptions - $75 - $150 each (Have different variation: Showtime, 3x MVP, 50 Greatest, 12x All-Star, HOF, Dreamteam)
Magic Johnson signing events: $200 for each item, + $100 for inscriptions (HOF only)

Those cards offer more inscriptions variety, and overall cost less!!

So my question is, have you guys thought about some of your favorite players, and see what options are available? Is there something about a signing event that is so unforgettable? Where do YOU draw the line as to when to just suck up and buy a pack-pulled card off ebay/forum instead of going to the signing?

Just wanted to get your thought on this. I look forward to all comments and suggestion. Thanks!!

Billy

P.S. I know this only applies to card TTM collectors, but I would assume some pricing conflict might arise from certified photo vs signing events as well.

Last edited by tamtalizied; 03-14-2013 at 04:29 PM.
tamtalizied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

This post really hit home for me.

Early last year my wife and I opened 12 boxes of 2012 TNA Reflexxions. Loved the set and started a project to get the entire set hand signed. We attend several different wrestling shows a year, get in for free, and the signings are free for us so at the beginning it wasn't a big deal at all.

Once we got to around 50 out of 99 cards signed it got a bit more difficult. Now I am reaching out to vendors who are holding signings and conventions. What the heck was I thinking, lol? Even wrestlers chrage an arm and a leg but I am determined to complete the set for sure.

6 to go for the 2012 TNA Reflexxions set! Paying well for on card autos I still need.
gentlevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree that purchasing a pack pulled card is easier and most of the time cheaper than the signing events but as a big fan of Curtis Martin, I would LOVE to have the opportunity to be able to get a signature and a handshake from the man himself. But I can't say I would pay the prices that some of the card shows are asking for the events. So I guess it is a catch 22. LOL!

garpike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevader View Post
This post really hit home for me.

Early last year my wife and I opened 12 boxes of 2012 TNA Reflexxions. Loved the set and started a project to get the entire set hand signed. We attend several different wrestling shows a year, get in for free, and the signings are free for us so at the beginning it wasn't a big deal at all.

Once we got to around 50 out of 99 cards signed it got a bit more difficult. Now I am reaching out to vendors who are holding signings and conventions. What the heck was I thinking, lol? Even wrestlers chrage an arm and a leg but I am determined to complete the set for sure.
How much do some of these wrestlers charge? That is a pretty ambitious goal for 99 cards set! Good luck buddy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garpike View Post
I agree that purchasing a pack pulled card is easier and most of the time cheaper than the signing events but as a big fan of Curtis Martin, I would LOVE to have the opportunity to be able to get a signature and a handshake from the man himself. But I can't say I would pay the prices that some of the card shows are asking for the events. So I guess it is a catch 22. LOL!

I know what you mean. One of the main reason I thought about this whole thing is I really REALLY want to meet Scottie Pippen!! However, trying to justify the cost to my wife just got a little harder, especially given she is an accountant.. LOL.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

Also depends on when you get them. For example, 4 years ago, I got a signed Calvin Johsnon 8x10 for $40-50 bucks at a signing in Detroit. This year, I got a signed 16x20 with 2 inscriptions for $239. So if you can find talent early (before they explode) its possible that the memorabilia is cheaper.

And yes, meeting the person will always beat pulling a card!
Romans 1:16 #unashamed
Combined Feedbacks on Ebay+SCF=270+=100%(All Positive)
PDawson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamtalizied View Post
I know what you mean. One of the main reason I thought about this whole thing is I really REALLY want to meet Scottie Pippen!! However, trying to justify the cost to my wife just got a little harder, especially given she is an accountant.. LOL.
I completely understand, I REALLLLLY wanted to make the trip to the FB HOF for Curtis Martin's induction and possibly meet him at one of the signing events but when we figured out all the costs involved it would have been close to $800.00. My wife's head about imploded. LOL! Needless to say I watched it on TV and picked up a few pack pulled autos from Ebay.

garpike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garpike View Post
I completely understand, I REALLLLLY wanted to make the trip to the FB HOF for Curtis Martin's induction and possibly meet him at one of the signing events but when we figured out all the costs involved it would have been close to $800.00. My wife's head about imploded. LOL! Needless to say I watched it on TV and picked up a few pack pulled autos from Ebay.

LOL.. Women, I tell ya, so sensible when it comes to OUR hobby, but yet so unsensible and emotional when it comes to theirs!! Hehe.. Don't tell my wife I said that

That actually bring up another good point: I love going to live basketball and football games (Wolves, UofM, Vikes)!! However, call me crazy, but I find the LIVE view at the stadium NOT as good as it is at home (well, that depends on the seat, I know I know), and while I am there, I keep asking myself where is the instant reply!! LOL.. But the experience you get at the stadium, from spilling that beer everyway and wearing that "old school" swingman jersey that EVERYONE thinks need to be replaced is WAY different than sitting at home, cracking open a six-pack and laying there with your boxer on the couch. Decisions decisions I tell ya..

Last edited by tamtalizied; 03-15-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

This thread is so true. Cal Ripken has been my favorite Orioles player forever. His autograph prices are just too much anymore for me to try and meet him and get his auto. Usually $150 at least for an auto photo (I am going to a card show in Chantilly and he will be there signing at that price). I can get a lot of his auto cards for under that. My best bet is to go to where he coaches and HOPE he would sign something for me. But for current Orioles it isn't that bad to get the autos I want. Going to Fanfest is so cheap, about 5 to get in and 15 for the session. So if your Jets have a fanfest maybe one year Curtis will attend and you can get his auto.
John 12:25-26 "Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life."
nateyad is online now   Reply With Quote