Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default IP Etiquette

I ran into a situation over the weekend in Arizona that was fairly surprising. I attended three Cactus league games: Angels at CUBS and Padres at ROCKIES on Saturday, then Rockies at BREWERS on Sunday.

At all three games, we arrived shortly after the gates opened to graph the Cubs and Rockies. I would say at these particular games, the crowd along the dugouts for these two teams was 85-90% kids. most being under 12.

I was struck by the almost universal lack of manners and respect that the crowd as a whole exhibited to the players. I rarely heard a thank you or anyone addressing players cordally. Pretty much the attitude was, stick the item out towards the player with a pen, then grab it back after it was signed.

I heard a few parents scold their children about the lack of a thank you, but those were few and far between.

I for one, do not get many IP opportunites, so I probably went overboard on thanking the individual players, but I also got a few smiles from them that none of the children received.

I know the prevailing attitude in regards to IP autos is make sure the children aren't shutout by adults, but the utter lack of manners makes it hard to be sympathetic. That still doesn't mean I won't let the little guys go first.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

No matter who it is, whenever somebody does anything for me, they always get a "Thank you very much" from me. I hate people who are snobby and don't have any manners.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is the reason why most guys don't like/enjoy signing autographs. I bet if they got a "thanks" or "thank you" from every person they signed something for, they'd be much more willing to autograph things.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is why I like graphing minor league games. Players are nice and so are the people (for the most part). I have had players tell me thank you. Zach Wheeler was one of the players who thank me and asked me if I had anything else for him to sign.
crabbygraphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerun View Post
This is the reason why most guys don't like/enjoy signing autographs. I bet if they got a "thanks" or "thank you" from every person they signed something for, they'd be much more willing to autograph things.
I'm not excusing people who don't say thank you but I doubt that has anything to do with it. Mostly more about the mob scenes that people form to get an autograph I think.

When a player is going down a line signing autos he doesn't have time to worry about whether someone said thank you or not. Often times they're literally going right down the line focused only on the items to be signed to the point where they do not even make eye contact with the person they're signing for.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbygraphs View Post
Zach Wheeler was one of the players who thank me and asked me if I had anything else for him to sign.
Yeah, he's awesome. I went to one of his games in California with my uncles a few years ago and the stadium was almost vacant, so he spent a good few minutes with the few people he signed for. I didn't have anything for him to sign (really wish I did now lol), but my uncles and I talked with him. I'll never forget that.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

All good points. Unfortunately, I think just a sign of the times.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't understand how someone could not use manners in a 'graphing situation. Whenever I'm asking someone to sign, it's "Mr. , could you please sign?" and, "Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it." when they're done. I don't think that's too much to ask, really.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't either. I feel pretty good that these players and people actually gave me a little bit of their time and I surely let them know it.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

yeah I always say thank you and please. Sometimes the adults are even worse they shove their kids in front of me or push them in front so they could get the kids to get their stuff signed. or the kids push me out of the way. When people said thank you to Danny Duffy he said no need to thank me, I do it for the fans
r0yals2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

I saw some awful ip manners at a cactus league game I went to, between Cubs and mariners. There was like 7 or 8 obnoxious teenagers, looked like people from a jr. high baseball team or something. They all obviously didn't care about autographs, they didn't know who the players even were and they kept asking other people like me "who's autograph is worth the most on this team?".
They shouted at players "who are you? who are you?" and called every asian looking person "Kosuke".... especially Kyuji Fujikawa!

I couldn't believe those idiots, luckily their manners didn't look to work out so well for them.
rukastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

I guess the days of kids being taught manners consistently across the board are long over. I am not that old, but I remember when you were noticed for acting like that in public. Eyes were everywhere and it wasn't above an adult to tell you to clean up your act. I lived in a town that was not big (60K+), but still small enough that people knew -people.
Nowadays, I don't even know my neighbors' names, and that's the way THEY want it. Must be easier to not waste the energy. Very sad.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

some very good points made here i just graphed the nationals yesterday and the lack of manners and lack of knowing who the player is gets really bad sometimes. and some of these teens like mentioned above they dont care at all. im 16 and you would think im like some god of manner because i say thanks. like during BP these kids kept ball ball ball at Henry Rodriguez and he didnt toss anything up then about 15 minutes later some kids came up and said
Henry can i get a ball and he tossed it right up and they said thank you and you could tell that made him happy and he waved and smiled up. but that didnt happen till someone used their manners.
NATS
new2baseballcol is offline   Reply With Quote