Blowout Cards Forums
Shop MyLocker.net Today!

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Does length of letter matter?

I did TTM quite a bit 7-8 years ago, but haven't sent anything off in a while. When I sent a request, the letter I included was always a couple of short paragraphs long, a little longer if it was a more personal request.

Anymore, I would imagine that the shorter the letter, the better. I doubt many of these athletes take time to actually read the letters, but I also believe that a longer letter might result in more success, as the athlete will time the time to sign if I take the time to write a better letter.

Yes, I'm overthinking it (it's what I do..lol). But what kind of letters do you guys send out? Does the length of the letter really matter all that much? Does just a few sentences get the job done? Thanks for any responses.
Positivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Not that bad a question actually. In my opinion a longer letter truly shows that you care about them, the only thing is that some athletes prefer the more shorter and to the point letters (those that actually read them anyway). So theres a bit of confusion there.

Id say go with long (but not too long) letters. At the very least it shows you care
ToppsCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToppsCollector1 View Post
Not that bad a question actually. In my opinion a longer letter truly shows that you care about them, the only thing is that some athletes prefer the more shorter and to the point letters (those that actually read them anyway). So theres a bit of confusion there.

Id say go with long (but not too long) letters. At the very least it shows you care
I limit mine to a paragraph or so. Definitely want more than "Can you sign this? Thanks" but at the same time you don't want to tell them your entire life story and every reason why you think they're so awesome that you want their autograph.

Only a couple of my TTM responses seemed to suggest that the person actually read the letter. For example, Alex Trebek's return addressed me as "a longtime Jeopardy! fan" which I mention in the letter.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacky1053 View Post
I limit mine to a paragraph or so. Definitely want more than "Can you sign this? Thanks" but at the same time you don't want to tell them your entire life story and every reason why you think they're so awesome that you want their autograph.

Only a couple of my TTM responses seemed to suggest that the person actually read the letter. For example, Alex Trebek's return addressed me as "a longtime Jeopardy! fan" which I mention in the letter.
I notice that too, there don't seem to be many that read letters, but guys like Bobby Hebert (former NFL QB) and even Jim McMahon seem to read them.
ToppsCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm fairly certain that Bobby Doerr takes the time to read his letters. I was getting a card signed for a friend, and requested that he personalize it for him. This letter was 2-3 paragraphs long, and it was in the bottom third of the letter that I requested he personalize it. The card came back personalized for my friend and everything.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll try to find a happy medium in my letter writing, as I have a tendency to be a bit wordy sometimes.

I would think the retired players may take more time to read, and active players might scim through it, or possibly not even read it at all.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

It is my experience that length and size always matters.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Last edited by Ziveus101; 05-24-2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: ...........
Ziveus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziveus101 View Post
That's what she said (sorry, I couldn't help myself ).

I have always written my request letters on an index card. In one paragraph I ask the person who I sent the request to for their autograph and thank them in advance for taking the time to do so.
I also write my request letters by hand to show that I didn't just print numerous copies of the same generic letter.
I recall writing some on index cards, too. And I always wrote mine by hand for the same reason. I'm working on a couple of letters now. I'm excited to get back into this!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Last edited by Ziveus101; 05-24-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: ...........
Ziveus101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

I usually write this on an index card(ALWAYS hand written):

Dear so and so,

I am a huge fan of yours and the Mets (only if they play on or used to play for the Mets) and was hoping you could sign this card (or photo, depending on what I send) for me. I understand you are very busy, so I thank you immensely for taking the time to consider my request. Good Luck, and Let's Go Mets (only if they play for the Mets, obviously)!

Sometimes, if I have a "connection" with the player, I would write about that. For example, when I wrote to Kevin Gausman, I said I was a fan of his (which I truly am, not bull****ing), but ironically am a huge Stony Brook SeaWolves fan (LSU lost to Stony Brook in the Super Regionals a few years ago in a dramatic series). On the photo that I sent him, he inscribed "SeaWolves Got Lucky!"

When I wrote to William Carmona (ex-Stony Brook player), I wrote how I am really pulling for him to make it because we're both from Long Island and how he played a great series against LSU. He then answered my "question card" about the series.

I thought it was really cool to know that not only do some players really read the letters, but acknowledge them.

Last edited by centereacan06; 10-07-2013 at 04:21 PM.
centereacan06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Usually, I write my letters on index cards as a way of keeping myself on topic and to the point. Although, what I say depends mostly on whether the person I'm writing to is roughly my age or older, and if it's in spanish or english. I'm much less formal if the person is around my age, i'll be like "hey man!" as opposed to "dear mr x, hello my name is..." for someone about 10 or more years older than me. If I'm sending something more than a card, like a photo or a larger item i might just type a letter. In my opinion, if the item you are sending is bigger than a card and would potentially be worth more to you, I'd rather just type it to be safe. My handwriting is garbage anyway. It's a way to write more and take up less space, not to mention it's clear. But of course if the item is a small card or something and it won't take me more than a few minutes to write on an index card, i usually do that.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

I usually have about alittle less then a page and I do 3 paragraphs, My first paragraph is alittle about myself / next is why im a fan of theirs / last is asking them to sign and good luck.
Thats what I do.Hope that helps and good luck with TTMs!
redsoxfan3419 is offline   Reply With Quote