Blowout Cards Forums
MEM MADNESS

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #26 (permalink)

that is awesome! gifts from celebs are definitely a unique thing! congrats
Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #27 (permalink)

yeah, ray's always been great. if you hit up andy robustelli, he usually does the same. donate to herb adderly, and he'll also include an extra piece for you. Same with Gino Marchetti and Art Donovan. It's amazing how much more giving NFL HOFers are than Baseball. I think there are what a handful of baseball players in the HOF that will sign for free.
raiderguy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM   #28 (permalink)

That is very nice. I sent Berry out a request on Monday...I have been meaning to get it out for awhile. I do think that the older players appreciate their fans and have much better autographs in general than the younger guys.
iuhoosierbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:12 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuhoosierbb View Post
That is very nice. I sent Berry out a request on Monday...I have been meaning to get it out for awhile. I do think that the older players appreciate their fans and have much better autographs in general than the younger guys.

I'll agree with you and say there's no comparison between "older" and current players signatures. The "older" guys sigs are much more attractive.

I'm still on the fence about how much retired players appreciate their fans. I know the majority of baseball HOF'ers appreciate the money you send them in order to get their autographs.
Jacquo1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquo1972 View Post
I'll agree with you and say there's no comparison between "older" and current players signatures. The "older" guys sigs are much more attractive.

I'm still on the fence about how much retired players appreciate their fans. I know the majority of baseball HOF'ers appreciate the money you send them in order to get their autographs.
Yeah, I should have been more specific. I agree with Raiderguy that football HOF players in general seem to be more appreciative of their fans. I do think that non-HOF retired baseball players for the most part seem to be fairly appreciative as well. Things have changed quite a bit even from when I was a kid and collecting autos TTM. I got Eddie Matthews, Bob Lemon, Jim Kaat, McGwire, Don Mattingly, and several other big names or HOFers for free...it is much tougher today!
Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #31 (permalink)

I got my first real disappointment today. Randall Cunningham sent my card back unsigned with no explanation why. I have had a few athletes not sign before. I got a form letter from Cal Ripken's people saying he had too many requests to sign them all, and I also got a response from Jim Boeheim saying if I bought one the money goes to charity. I can buy into those reasons, but if you take the time to return the card in my SASE, would it kill you to slap a signature on the card? Oh well, better days are ahead I'm sure. LOL
Old 04-12-2010, 12:37 PM   #32 (permalink)

man you were on fire with good TTMs and then this... i dont get celebs sometimes. If I were a celeb, I would try to sign everything that came in. It doesnt take more than a couple seconds to sign and seal the envelope... oh well you will get hot again
Old 04-12-2010, 12:40 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmecum51 View Post
man you were on fire with good TTMs and then this... i dont get celebs sometimes. If I were a celeb, I would try to sign everything that came in. It doesnt take more than a couple seconds to sign and seal the envelope... oh well you will get hot again
It just depends. I hate to say it, but it was the first and won't be the last. I've gotten numerous of these. That's why I use these types of threads to know who is good and who is not-so-good.

You have to remember that these guys get dozens of requests every day. Lots are from people who put them on ebay, and really don't care about the athlete. Plus this have been going on (in Cunningham's instance) for 25+ years now. Every single day. I don't blame celebs that don't sign, and appreciate the ones that do. I know you say you'd sign anything and everything that came in, but if you did it every day for 25+ years you may feel differently.

At least you got the cards back. He could have kept the cards, and you'd be out your cards and SASE (which also has happened more times than I can probably count).
Old 04-12-2010, 03:33 PM   #34 (permalink)

Cunningham charges $5 a sig. Not sure if it goes to charity or if he keeps it.
RedSox82696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #35 (permalink)

I just got Cunningham in today's mail. He signed both of my cards. I sent him a $5 check to his church.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:25 PM   #36 (permalink)

Hey Jacq, try using iuhoosierbb's advise, maybe a donation to his church might help. Good luck!
Ramtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderguy10 View Post
It just depends. I hate to say it, but it was the first and won't be the last. I've gotten numerous of these. That's why I use these types of threads to know who is good and who is not-so-good.

You have to remember that these guys get dozens of requests every day. Lots are from people who put them on ebay, and really don't care about the athlete. Plus this have been going on (in Cunningham's instance) for 25+ years now. Every single day. I don't blame celebs that don't sign, and appreciate the ones that do. I know you say you'd sign anything and everything that came in, but if you did it every day for 25+ years you may feel differently.

At least you got the cards back. He could have kept the cards, and you'd be out your cards and SASE (which also has happened more times than I can probably count).

I have been spoiled lately with a lot of good luck. Every time I write a request, I go into it thinking there's a possibility I won't get my card(s) back. I know these guys get a boat-load of requests each day, and more often than not, someone is going to get slighted. I probably wouldn't be able, or want to for that matter, sign everything that came in myself. Maybe I'm funny, but I almost would rather not get a reply at all instead of my SASE and an unsigned card and no explanation.

I appreciate some of you guys letting me know that he requires a donation. I did a little research before I wrote him, and this is the first I have heard about that. Tomorrow is a new day, and who knows, maybe I'll land one of the big boys I wrote. For right now, Mr. Cunningham goes on the back burner. LOL

Thanks for all the input guys!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #38 (permalink)

Today's mail brought Terry Bradshaw. I especially wanted this one after the way he called out "Big Ben".

Wow. I just looked at my scan. My scanner must have gone nuts. Sorry about the size and margins.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #39 (permalink)

i also got Bradshaw today. Some say he ghost signs, but I think it depends on the batch. Mine looks different and is in blue; i think they are both legit.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #40 (permalink)

I got a response from Ben Roethlisberger (or one of his people) today. He didn't sign either of the two cards I sent, but included in my SASE were two preprint cards with information and pictures on them. After seeing the preprints, he is another athlete with a crappy looking lazy signature. I sent my request to him before I found out what a sexual predator he was.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #41 (permalink)

Here's what showed up in today's mail. The signature looks very close to other signatures I have seen. It wouldn't surprise me if it were an auto-pen. I'm going to hold on to the hope that there's a slight chance it's legit.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #42 (permalink)

don't know about Palmer. He used to sign, but I've also hear ramblings of possible auto-pen. Pen looks like the same thickness throughout....anyone know?
Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
don't know about Palmer. He used to sign, but I've also hear ramblings of possible auto-pen. Pen looks like the same thickness throughout....anyone know?
I think he autopens TTM as well...not 100% sure though
Old 04-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuhoosierbb View Post
I think he autopens TTM as well...not 100% sure though
wtf is an autopen anyway? How do they work. And if you're going to take time to autopen a card, why not just sign the thing.
Old 04-16-2010, 05:09 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
wtf is an autopen anyway? How do they work. And if you're going to take time to autopen a card, why not just sign the thing.
Good question. All I know is that it is some sort of machine that takes the original autograph and mimics it exactly. Apparently the advantage to the person who uses the autopen is that they can just hire an assistant to use the autopen without actually having to see the item at all. I think I read that the presidents have used multiple autopen machines due to the volume of mail they receive.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #46 (permalink)

Autopen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
crdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:37 AM   #47 (permalink)

I have a cool follow up story about Raymond Berry. I wrote him a thank you note for replying to my autograph request. I told him how much I appreciated him sending something extra and including a personal note. I received a letter from him today with a brief note on a 3x5 card. It simply said he didn't get letters like that every day. What a great guy he is. I'll be a fan of his for the rest of my life.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquo1972 View Post
I have a cool follow up story about Raymond Berry. I wrote him a thank you note for replying to my autograph request. I told him how much I appreciated him sending something extra and including a personal note. I received a letter from him today with a brief note on a 3x5 card. It simply said he didn't get letters like that every day. What a great guy he is. I'll be a fan of his for the rest of my life.
That's awesome! I got something similar from Eli Wallach, who played "Tuco" in "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".
Old 04-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #49 (permalink)

that is really cool. my best story comes from an ex-Raider that played in the 60s. I'm not going to name names, but I sent him a RC to sign, and he did. I sent a thank you note, and a week later I had two 8x10 photos and a throwback Raider mini helmet waiting for me. That was amazing
Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 AM   #50 (permalink)

It was a very good Monday mail day. I got two autos today. I got my personalized Steve Alford 8x10. It's the same picture that's been posted here before. The second auto is Lawrence Taylor. Mr Taylor obviously isn't a sport card collector. The card saw some abuse somewhere along the way. LOL.