Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquo1972 View Post
It was a very good Monday mail day. I got two autos today. I got my personalized Steve Alford 8x10. It's the same picture that's been posted here before. The second auto is Lawrence Taylor. Mr Taylor obviously isn't a sport card collector. The card saw some abuse somewhere along the way. LOL.

Nice! I sent out for Alford last week. He played for our lowly Golden State Warriors in the late 80's, but great guy. Good job on the LT! Sorry it got man-handled hehe. I'll have to try him too!
Ramtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramtart View Post
Nice! I sent out for Alford last week. He played for our lowly Golden State Warriors in the late 80's, but great guy. Good job on the LT! Sorry it got man-handled hehe. I'll have to try him too!
Honestly, I didn't remember him playing for the warriors until you brought it up. I just remember him riding the pine for the Mavericks. I just thought it was cool he was with Uwe Blab (another former Hoosier) in Dallas. IU is not known for turning out quality pro's, so two on one team was unique.
Jacquo1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #53 (permalink)

This is the third day in a row I've been skunked at the mailbox. LOL
Old 04-22-2010, 11:17 AM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
This is the third day in a row I've been skunked at the mailbox. LOL
I'm up to like 17!
sportscards1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:10 AM   #55 (permalink)

I had a three day drought, but it was worth it. I'm a huge golf fan, and this was waiting for me in today's mail. He didn't sign the trading card I sent, but he replaced it with this! I think I made out like a bandit on that deal. I also posted a copy of the note that was included with the photo. He really doesn't want anyone profiting from his name. The last phrase on the note is also stamped on the back of the photo. One last thing, this is the best packaged autograph I have received so far. It was in a super nice envelope with cardboard protecting the photo. I also got my card and SASE back. Great guy!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #56 (permalink)

THE SHARK BABY! that is awesome... I am for sure trying for him. I always forget about the golf stars.... My pops is a huge golf fan and would love some of these things for his den/mancave. I might have to try and start pulling in some golfers
Old 04-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #57 (permalink)

Wow! Awesome success with "The Shark"
That Glossy and Auto are really clean. That was cool of him to send you that. Will have to try him as well as I'm a golf guy as well.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:26 AM   #58 (permalink)

This topic is out of left field, and is probably better suited for the "Off Topic" board, but since we all send out a ton of requests I thought I would throw this out.

I was visting my mom last night, and she told me a story that has me stunned. She works at the local University, and her office has a lot of student workers. They were sending out correspondense to certain donors, and the student workers were asked to help. She told me that several of those workers don't know how to address an envelope or where to put a stamp. She told me that one worker put an entire book on stamps on one envelope thinking that's what it took to mail one. I know we live in a digital age of text messages and emails, but some of these kids can't send a letter?

On a kind of similar note, my niece and I were doodling one day during a family get together. I wrote something in cursive and she couldn't read it. I found out the schools here don't even teach cursive writing anymore. It seems like snail mail is dying a slow death.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #59 (permalink)

Here's what came in today's mail. He's got a great looking signature. I wish he would have signed the card in black Sharpie instead of silver, but I'm still thrilled to get this back.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
This topic is out of left field, and is probably better suited for the "Off Topic" board, but since we all send out a ton of requests I thought I would throw this out.

I was visting my mom last night, and she told me a story that has me stunned. She works at the local University, and her office has a lot of student workers. They were sending out correspondense to certain donors, and the student workers were asked to help. She told me that several of those workers don't know how to address an envelope or where to put a stamp. She told me that one worker put an entire book on stamps on one envelope thinking that's what it took to mail one. I know we live in a digital age of text messages and emails, but some of these kids can't send a letter?

On a kind of similar note, my niece and I were doodling one day during a family get together. I wrote something in cursive and she couldn't read it. I found out the schools here don't even teach cursive writing anymore. It seems like snail mail is dying a slow death.
that makes me sick a little about the envelopes. I can understand the cursive writing. I am only 25, and my little brother is 21. I was taught cursive, and he wasnt. I also see why they arent teaching it anymore in some places. You cannot write official documents in cursive, and you are never asked to handwrite anything anymore. Print is at least readable, cursive (like my grandma writes) is extremely hard to read. Some of the kids in my classes write their assignments in cursive and I have trouble grading them. Those usually take me at least twice as long to correct. I always ask for printed assignments.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:58 PM   #61 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmecum51 View Post
that makes me sick a little about the envelopes. I can understand the cursive writing. I am only 25, and my little brother is 21. I was taught cursive, and he wasnt. I also see why they arent teaching it anymore in some places. You cannot write official documents in cursive, and you are never asked to handwrite anything anymore. Print is at least readable, cursive (like my grandma writes) is extremely hard to read. Some of the kids in my classes write their assignments in cursive and I have trouble grading them. Those usually take me at least twice as long to correct. I always ask for printed assignments.
I guess I'm just shocked at what I think kids should know versus what they actually need to know. Some things like hand writing letters are out of style, but everyone should at least know how to do it. . .or maybe I'm old and out of touch!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #62 (permalink)

I'm in another dry spell. I got a RTS from Willie McCovey yesterday. I wish I would have scanned my envelope for you guys before I tossed it because it was the most "angry" RTS I have seen. It was written in red pen with all capital letters with underlines and exclamation points.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 PM   #63 (permalink)

Hey buddy, sorry to hear that. Willie Mac is considered one of the classiest guys to every play in SF. I hope that was the wrong address and it wasn't him or someone at his address. That's horrible. I know he now walks with the aid of specially made crutches or a cane, but I believe he still signs. He still comes out to certain Giants games too. PM me with the address with you can and I'll see if it's consistent with where he usually signs.

Take it easy man
Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #64 (permalink)

I'm really in a mega dry spell right now. It's been well over a week since I got my last positive response. I got another RTS today, this time it was from Jerry West. I did my homework, and everything I read says he was a really good TTM signer. I'll have to try a different address for him.

I keep telling myself to be patient. The athletes I have written are higher profile, so if I'm going to get a response, it's going to take a little while longer. Can't wait for tomorrow!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm really in a mega dry spell right now. It's been well over a week since I got my last positive response. I got another RTS today, this time it was from Jerry West. I did my homework, and everything I read says he was a really good TTM signer. I'll have to try a different address for him.

I keep telling myself to be patient. The athletes I have written are higher profile, so if I'm going to get a response, it's going to take a little while longer. Can't wait for tomorrow!
Hopefully you will have a big mailday soon!
iuhoosierbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #66 (permalink)

Another day of being skunked at the mailbox. On a side note, a few days ago I sent Lawrence Taylor a second autograph request. I thanked him for his fast reply, and also told him about his autographed card that got banged up. I asked if it would be possible for him to sign another card for me. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I probably shouldn't wait around at the mailbox for that one to arrive.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #67 (permalink)

write to him in jail. He'll have nothing better to do. I got OJ and Vick when they were there....
raiderguy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:21 PM   #68 (permalink)

Quote:
Another day of being skunked at the mailbox. On a side note, a few days ago I sent Lawrence Taylor a second autograph request. I thanked him for his fast reply, and also told him about his autographed card that got banged up. I asked if it would be possible for him to sign another card for me. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I probably shouldn't wait around at the mailbox for that one to arrive.
You posted this before the news came out, right?? You could go for a convict autograph collection!
sportscards1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:09 AM   #69 (permalink)

I just sent an 8x10 to him yesterday... FML!
Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmecum51 View Post
I just sent an 8x10 to him yesterday... FML!
Don't write it off yet. He's out on bail.....
Old 05-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderguy10 View Post
Don't write it off yet. He's out on bail.....
I have mixed emotions on this. If he did what he's accused of, then it's not just a mistake. In my mind, it makes him a pretty disgusting human being. I'm certainly not going to throw out my autograph of him, nor will I throw out the second one if it shows up, but I'm not going to proudly display them either. They may get tucked away somewhere.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #72 (permalink)

Yeah, I really don't get it. Like really they are famous football players. Do they really need to pay or beg to get it if they really want it that bad. That being said, they are famous and are "targets" for quick money and fame from an accuser. Innocent til proven guilty I guess. I just don't get the reasoning behind the antics....
Old 05-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #73 (permalink)

The drought is over. I had this waiting on me when I got to the mailbox. I saved a few pocket schedules from IU's 86-87 season, and I sent one off to Coach Alford to see if he would sign it. I'm thrilled to get this one back, but I was surprised to see that he wrote "Go Lobos" on an Indiana item.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #74 (permalink)

Nice Alford! I wonder if he is a little bitter with IU for not hiring him as coach?!
iuhoosierbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:55 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuhoosierbb View Post
Nice Alford! I wonder if he is a little bitter with IU for not hiring him as coach?!
My mom works in the athletic department for IU, so she gets to hear some "behind the scenes" discussions. I know at one time, the relationship between Alford and IU was strained for some reason, but it's getting much better now. It seems like one of new Athletic Director's projects these days is healing old wounds that others before him caused. They're really trying to patch things up with Coach Knight, but who knows if that will ever happen.