Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

I'm glad I'm not the only one with that sentiment where I could drop a bunch of requests and they don't come back pronto. The ironic thing is sometimes I'll have my periods where I won't send out for a month or two and be ok with that and then the last couple of months I just can't stop.
SportsAutoFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:12 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsAutoFreak View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one with that sentiment where I could drop a bunch of requests and they don't come back pronto. The ironic thing is sometimes I'll have my periods where I won't send out for a month or two and be ok with that and then the last couple of months I just can't stop.
Yeah. I'm kind of the same way.

GREEN BAY PACKERS, WASHINGTON NATIONALS, EDMINTON OILERS Fan and Collector
RelicCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by briscogun View Post
Sometimes when you don't get anything in the mail, you just want to share the disappointment. You can post it, it's your thread.

Yeah, that Top 100 set is going to have lots of big names, but what a blast that'll be when you start getting close to finishing it! Can't wait till you start getting 80 or 90+!

I know, right? You send out 10 and want all 10 back in a week! Is that too much to ask? It's fun to get some mail and wonder who's inside, though.
I don't know why he had a problem with me saying I didn't get any mail.

The Top 100 set will be tough. There are some good signers in the set. But Buxton, Tavares, Sano will be tough.

On some day's, the mail is the most exciting part of the day. I'll be on vacation for a week, so I hope I get a bunch of successes when I get home!

Old 07-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #29 (permalink)

I don't do prospects and minor leaguers as much as others on here do, though. Despite being in my early twenties, I love doing players from the 1950s and 1960s, although that Frazier/Meadows card does look very sweet. I'm thinking I'll start sending out more soon to players from the 1980s and 1990s. I don't really do current players except at the park and very seldom do I send to current athletes, though I sent a 2014 topps heritage to Steve Cishek this week, which is really rare since I've never really cared for the heritage sets, though I have a handful of cards from a few years. Still, it must be awesome for you to get all these people before they make it big.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't do prospects and minor leaguers as much as others on here do, though. Despite being in my early twenties, I love doing players from the 1950s and 1960s, although that Frazier/Meadows card does look very sweet. I'm thinking I'll start sending out more soon to players from the 1980s and 1990s. I don't really do current players except at the park and very seldom do I send to current athletes, though I sent a 2014 topps heritage to Steve Cishek this week, which is really rare since I've never really cared for the heritage sets, though I have a handful of cards from a few years. Still, it must be awesome for you to get all these people before they make it big.
Yeah, I like sending to some of the MLB's future players. Some of the older players request donations to charities. And in some cases, the minor leaguers are better signers.

Now that I think about it, it would be cool to try and complete a 1970, 1980s, or 1990s set. What's hard about doing a "vintage" set rather than a current set is that some "vintage" sets include players that aren't alive anymore.

My favorite retired player (Ken Griffey Jr.) doesn't sign TTM which is kind of disappointing.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:27 PM   #31 (permalink)

Some old players are coaches of minor league teams. For example, Ken Griffey Jr.'s dad is the former head coach of the Bakersfield Blaze.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #32 (permalink)

You can always try Ken Griffey Jr. via a show or maybe an insert from eBay. Plus, you never know when someone can start a signing habit. I've been sending out since 2005 and I've seen players who were good signers who don't sign anything anymore, and I've seen those who weren't signers at one point suddenly became very good. When I started, Lonnie Smith wasn't a good signer and now he's one of the best and I got him many years back. I've only been serious about one set, though I've unofficially been building on the 1962 and 1965 topps sets as well. I have just about every living player from the 1953 and 1954 sets who signed, plus some who have since passed on. Most of the players from the 1953 set are gone, which is too bad since that is my favorite set of all time, but still racked up a few players in January.

It's your choice if you want to do a set from those eras, but if I were to do a 1970s set, I'd pick 1973 since I like those the best out of the decade and I would pick 1987, topps or Donruss since I like them both. Not too keen on the 1970s and 1980s designs for the most part. The 1950s and 1960s are where it's at for me.

The donations to charities, so long as it's not too egregious, I think are worth it for the older players.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
You can always try Ken Griffey Jr. via a show or maybe an insert from eBay. Plus, you never know when someone can start a signing habit. I've been sending out since 2005 and I've seen players who were good signers who don't sign anything anymore, and I've seen those who weren't signers at one point suddenly became very good. When I started, Lonnie Smith wasn't a good signer and now he's one of the best and I got him many years back. I've only been serious about one set, though I've unofficially been building on the 1962 and 1965 topps sets as well. I have just about every living player from the 1953 and 1954 sets who signed, plus some who have since passed on. Most of the players from the 1953 set are gone, which is too bad since that is my favorite set of all time, but still racked up a few players in January.

It's your choice if you want to do a set from those eras, but if I were to do a 1970s set, I'd pick 1973 since I like those the best out of the decade and I would pick 1987, topps or Donruss since I like them both. Not too keen on the 1970s and 1980s designs for the most part. The 1950s and 1960s are where it's at for me.

The donations to charities, so long as it's not too egregious, I think are worth it for the older players.
I have tried Griffey multiple times.

I'm thinking about the 1974 set. Design looks good, most players still alive.

Depends on the player for donations. If I could get 3 fairly good players for the price of 1 star, I would go for the 3 decent players

Old 07-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

It depends. Some of the vintage 1950s players are $5.00. Wayne Terwilliger, Bob Cerv and Bob Del Greco all were $5.00 donations, but I had no problem with it as I'm very happy they all signed a 1953 topps for me.

I used to like the 1974, but it fell out of favor with me in the later years. It also depends on how much you would spend on someone when writing to them I suppose. Quite a few of the players from 1974 sign and I have gotten them, I would reckon. I don't have a terrible amount of people from the 1974 set, but they're not too bad. Some of the vintage sets, like 1967, I just flat out do not like and don't see the appeal.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:17 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
It depends. Some of the vintage 1950s players are $5.00. Wayne Terwilliger, Bob Cerv and Bob Del Greco all were $5.00 donations, but I had no problem with it as I'm very happy they all signed a 1953 topps for me.

I used to like the 1974, but it fell out of favor with me in the later years. It also depends on how much you would spend on someone when writing to them I suppose. Quite a few of the players from 1974 sign and I have gotten them, I would reckon. I don't have a terrible amount of people from the 1974 set, but they're not too bad. Some of the vintage sets, like 1967, I just flat out do not like and don't see the appeal.
Yep. I either love or hate a vintage set. Should I go even older? Maybe 1963 Topps?

Old 07-04-2014, 05:20 PM   #36 (permalink)

That really is your call. It's not up to me to decide. Personally, I've never been a big fan of the 1963 set, though I do have some in the set - Bobby Bragan, Billy O'Dell, Cecil Butler, but I'm not the one collecting. Me, my personal opinion, the older the better, but whichever set you choose, should you choose to do one, I'll look very forward to seeing your returns on here.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
That really is your call. It's not up to me to decide. Personally, I've never been a big fan of the 1963 set, though I do have some in the set - Bobby Bragan, Billy O'Dell, Cecil Butler, but I'm not the one collecting. Me, my personal opinion, the older the better, but whichever set you choose, should you choose to do one, I'll look very forward to seeing your returns on here.
Yep. Maybe the start of August I might start a 50s or 60s set. I need to focus on my Top 100 set as well

Any suggestions on a 50s or 60s set?

Old 07-04-2014, 11:16 PM   #38 (permalink)

Personally I like the 1953 and 1954 sets, but you'll have slim pickings from those two sets since only a small handful are still with us. You'd be better trying for a 1958 or 1959 I'd imagine. For the 1960s sets, I like the 1962 and 1965 the best and I think 1965 has a lot of good signers. Of course, though, these are all merely suggestions and if you choose to go another route, I'll be equally enthusiastic for you.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:06 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Personally I like the 1953 and 1954 sets, but you'll have slim pickings from those two sets since only a small handful are still with us. You'd be better trying for a 1958 or 1959 I'd imagine. For the 1960s sets, I like the 1962 and 1965 the best and I think 1965 has a lot of good signers. Of course, though, these are all merely suggestions and if you choose to go another route, I'll be equally enthusiastic for you.
I'm still king of undecided. After vacation I will decide. Is the 1961 a good set?

Happy 4th Everybody!

Old 07-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #40 (permalink)

Ehhh, I've had decent success with the 1961 set. I don't like the design now as much as I used to, but it's hard to get worse than 1967 and I'm not terribly crazy about the 1966 set either.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:13 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Ehhh, I've had decent success with the 1961 set. I don't like the design now as much as I used to, but it's hard to get worse than 1967 and I'm not terribly crazy about the 1966 set either.
I see. The design is important when deciding a set.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #42 (permalink)

Sure is. Then again, you may like the design of something that I may not. It's all subjective.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:25 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Sure is. Then again, you may like the design of something that I may not. It's all subjective.
All opiniated. I'm leqving for vacation tomorrow, so I'll have a mail week recap on Saturday Night

Old 07-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #44 (permalink)

Have a safe and fun trip. It should be nice to see what mail you have a week from now.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Have a safe and fun trip. It should be nice to see what mail you have a week from now.
Yep. Hopefully I might get Frazier or Berrios for the set.

Happy Rest of the Holiday Weekend My Friend!

Old 07-05-2014, 10:43 PM   #46 (permalink)

Thank You. If you do get both or even just one, I'll be very happy for you.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank You. If you do get both or even just one, I'll be very happy for you.
Thank You

I will let you know first if I get one

Old 07-05-2014, 10:49 PM   #48 (permalink)

Sure. I'd love that. I think you could. I was on vacation last year and going on one again this year and I had three TTM successes waiting for me when I got home. So, you never know. I like your chances.
Old 07-05-2014, 10:51 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Sure. I'd love that. I think you could. I was on vacation last year and going on one again this year and I had three TTM successes waiting for me when I got home. So, you never know. I like your chances.
Yep. I have even better odds on getting Berrios if another member got him recently.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #50 (permalink)

I think you'll get yours soon then.