Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > COMMUNITY > TTM Auto

TTM Auto Through the Mail Autographs Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help with my first TTM autograph

Hey all,

I will be sending out my first TTM autograph in a bit to Chuck Bednarik, I already read the thread on TTMs above and just had a few questions. I am sending him 2 8x10s photos and I was looking to include a stadetler lumocolor pen with the mailing. Is the stadetler a good pen to sign a photo with and if so what size tip (fine vs medium)? I know its not necessary to send a pen with it but I used a fine tip stadetler for baseball cards and I loved the way they turned out.

Also the 2 8x10s I bought from photofile, each photo came in a clear plastic protector. If I include the photos in these, im wondering if there will be a risk of a smudged autograph if the ink isn't given enough time to dry or if he will accidentally sign the protector instead of the photo. I was planning on sending everything in a 8 1/2 x 11 cardboard mailer with a SASE padded envelope. I know Mr. Bednarik is older and I want to make the photos easy to open and sign.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by zerobdr78; 07-05-2014 at 11:36 AM.
zerobdr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey zerobdr78,
Welcome to Blowout, Lumicolor pens look awesome on photos. I honestly wouldn't send out the pen with it unless they're dark photos and you would like to get them in a bright color that shows up well (gold, silver) normally the players use pretty good judgement in what colors they use on there. I wouldnt package the sleve the players some times rush through requests and it smudges the autograph.

Hope they come back home to you
Any more questions don't hesitate to ask
-Mark
Old 07-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey Lionsman81,

Thanks for the advice! The only reason I was going to send a lumocolor was that I was assuming most players that sign TTM use a sharpie and I had read that sharpies are susceptible to fading over time and the lumocolors don't fade. One of the photos is black & white and the other is color, i'm wondering how well blue would show up on a b/w photo.

Also, if I do decide to send a lumocolor would a medium tip be best or a fine tip? I think the fine tip might look a little odd on an 8x10, especially on the b/w photo. Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobdr78 View Post
Hey Lionsman81,

Thanks for the advice! The only reason I was going to send a lumocolor was that I was assuming most players that sign TTM use a sharpie and I had read that sharpies are susceptible to fading over time and the lumocolors don't fade. One of the photos is black & white and the other is color, i'm wondering how well blue would show up on a b/w photo.

Also, if I do decide to send a lumocolor would a medium tip be best or a fine tip? I think the fine tip might look a little odd on an 8x10, especially on the b/w photo. Thanks again!
Medium tip looks bolder and overall more appealing IMO, it's an opinion thing. I would probably send a gold or silver Lumicolor just because black or blue (the colors every player signs in with a few exceptions) would ghost on the black and white. I've never had a sharpie 8x10 fade as long as you store them away from sunlight in a frame, or a book or something it should be fine.

Thanks
-Mark
Old 07-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

if you really want to send the pen, then do it. but don't expect to get the pen back!

my dollar store carries blue sharpies, so I stock up on them for sending with my TTM pictures, and I have a 100% rate of NOT getting a marker returned to me lol. those are cheap enough that I don't care about it, but I am unsure what a lumicolor pen costs
89transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks again for all the help! Does anyone happen to know a good place I can buy individual blue Staedtler medium tip pens? I don't mind not getting the pen back at all, but i'm having trouble finding a place that sells individuals instead of the packs. I checked art stores online but most just sell the 4 or 8 packs.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Update: I called my local dick blick and they don't carry blue medium tipped staedtlers, I found a few places online that sell the individual blue markers but with shipping factored in, 2 markers would be about $10. Any other places I can try?
Old 07-08-2014, 08:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Do you have a Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Jo Ann Fabrics?

They may sell the markers you are looking for. I've never bought the specific markers you are looking for, but have bought markers and pens of the same brand at these places.
NEED: 2010/11 SP AUTHENTIC Steve Alford Letter Autos A,O,R
g8rzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8rzfan View Post
Do you have a Hobby Lobby, Michaels or Jo Ann Fabrics?

They may sell the markers you are looking for. I've never bought the specific markers you are looking for, but have bought markers and pens of the same brand at these places.
I actually just checked michaels, AC Moore and Staples. Staples was the only store that had Staedtlers but they were fine point instead of Medium point. I have heard that Stadetler's blue is not lightfast and will fade over time, not sure how true this is. On a side note, how do paint pens look and work on photos for autographs? Does a paint pen fade over time?

Last edited by zerobdr78; 07-08-2014 at 09:19 PM.