Blowout Cards Forums
ebay event 8.25.14

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > THE MARKETPLACE > VINTAGE BUY/SELL/TRADE

VINTAGE BUY/SELL/TRADE Post your Vintage Buy/Sell/Trade needs here. (pre 1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default I own my first 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle!!

Just got it in the mail today. Have inspected it very carefully and I have no doubt it is authentic:

kencope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Not the best condition, but none the less, a great card
theautographkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

congrats! great card, really great card!

-I do not send paypal payments as a gift, you pay your fee's and I will pay mine-
www.JLR0747.com
Twitter: @JLR0747
JLR0747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would suggest sending it for authentication. Print dots throughout the card and a lack of any brightness to the card have spurred my curiosity. Have an expert tell you for sure!
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

To tell you the truth, I would rather have a vintage card like that rather than one graded an 7 or something. Shows how old the card really is just looks cool. Nice pick up man!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Nice Mickey you got there Ken. Congrats!
78yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Oh yeah, most likely this card was in an attic or something so smell it lol. Might sound a little weird but most vintage cards have that old attic smell and that can help telling if it's real or not.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

I am an expert, but it will be sent in to PSA nonetheless.

It passed all tests (print dot, light test, card stock, etc.) with flying colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
I would suggest sending it for authentication. Print dots throughout the card and a lack of any brightness to the card have spurred my curiosity. Have an expert tell you for sure!

Last edited by kencope; 03-14-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kencope View Post
I am an expert, but it will be sent in to PSA nonetheless.

It passed all tests (print dot, light test, card stock, etc.) with flying colors.
-Yep, getting SGC or PSA to look at it should have been part of the deal, i would hope. Some ways you can spot those fakes (missing pixels, shade of the background) get all mucked up when there is that much wear throughout the front of the card/surface. Always makes ya worried.

Good luck.

lobo_hacker
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

For me, it always raises a red flag when a high dollar card is in extremely poor condition. People will take reprints and beat them to hell. Too many buyers assume that since its in such bad shape that it must be real. And a card like this Mantle in Poor condition can still bring a couple grand. So there is plenty of money to be made by scammers.

I am not saying your card is fake since you said you did look it over very carefully. But I would not try to sell it until it is authenticated by PSA.
jr24ai3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

The card is the B variation and everything that you could tell from a scan looks correct. Both top border lines extend past the vertical boarder, the "s" on Dimaggio's lines up perfectly with the 't'. I had doubts when I saw the auction scans (not a risk I would have taken) since I couldn't see the left border extension in addition to it looked like it was missing ink in a couple spots which isn't true....It looks good with these scans. Although Ken's asking price is very high he won't be losing money with what he paid for this card...
Seanbassikcards.com
Sean1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #12 (permalink)

Double post
tmgrnzx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #13 (permalink)

Nice pickup Ken!! Post scans when you get it back from Psa. I'm assuming you are just looking for them to grade just authentic?
tmgrnzx9r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

tmgrnzx9r - Yes, and will do.

All - I appreciate everyone's comments and input, but quite candidly most people on here (and in the industry) treat the opinion of PSA and Beckett in way too high of regard. I know what to look for on this card, and I have a lot of '52 Topps to compare to. I trust my own opinion more than theirs most of the time, and I can tell everyone here that this card is absolutely authentic. Scans can always leave doubt, but I have this card in my hand. No doubt in my mind.

Thanks for all of the looks and comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgrnzx9r View Post
Nice pickup Ken!! Post scans when you get it back from Psa. I'm assuming you are just looking for them to grade just authentic?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

Great card
Old 03-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
tmgrnzx9r - Yes, and will do.

All - I appreciate everyone's comments and input, but quite candidly most people on here (and in the industry) treat the opinion of PSA and Beckett in way too high of regard. I know what to look for on this card, and I have a lot of '52 Topps to compare to. I trust my own opinion more than theirs most of the time, and I can tell everyone here that this card is absolutely authentic. Scans can always leave doubt, but I have this card in my hand. No doubt in my mind.

I understand what you are saying about PSA and Beckett. When it comes to not catching trimmed cards, and overgrading/undergrading cards, I agree that people put too much trust into the grading companies. But as far as authenticating a 1952 Mantle, I would trust a grading company that has personally handled over 1,000 1952 Mantles before I would trust a seller that I did not know on Ebay saying a raw one is authentic. It's nothing against you personally, as I do not know your background in the industry. But I feel most buyers of a card like that would want the added security of having it authenticated by a "professional" grading company.
jr24ai3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

Quote:
...but quite candidly most people on here (and in the industry) treat the opinion of PSA and Beckett in way too high of regard. I know what to look for on this card, and I have a lot of '52 Topps to compare to. I trust my own opinion more than theirs most of the time, and I can tell everyone here that this card is absolutely authentic. Scans can always leave doubt, but I have this card in my hand. No doubt in my mind.

-It's just the scans. The background color is difficult to verify and the surface damage makes finding typical earmarks of a fake near impossible without holding the card in your hands. No need to backhand most of us here or in the 'industry' when touting your own experience, we're just hoping it's legit for you. Good vibes and all that.

Good luck.

lobo_hacker
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

^^^^^^^^^

This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
-It's just the scans. The background color is difficult to verify and the surface damage makes finding typical earmarks of a fake near impossible without holding the card in your hands. No need to backhand most of us here or in the 'industry' when touting your own experience, we're just hoping it's legit for you. Good vibes and all that.

Good luck.

lobo_hacker
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Agreed, but I buy for profit and taking informed, calculated risks is where the most profit is gained. eBay covers up to $3,000 and has always remibursed me if an item was deemed unauthentic, so the only thing at risk is the grading fee of $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
I understand what you are saying about PSA and Beckett. When it comes to not catching trimmed cards, and overgrading/undergrading cards, I agree that people put too much trust into the grading companies. But as far as authenticating a 1952 Mantle, I would trust a grading company that has personally handled over 1,000 1952 Mantles before I would trust a seller that I did not know on Ebay saying a raw one is authentic. It's nothing against you personally, as I do not know your background in the industry. But I feel most buyers of a card like that would want the added security of having it authenticated by a "professional" grading company.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks, and no offense taken at all. Wasn't meaning to "backhand" anyone. I'm completely confident in the card, and it matters not to me the opinion of others as to its authenticity. Happy to show everyone the scans once authenticated for those that are curious. Appreciate everyone taking a look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post

Good luck.

lobo_hacker

Last edited by kencope; 03-15-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alldaydaley25 View Post
To tell you the truth, I would rather have a vintage card like that rather than one graded an 7 or something. Shows how old the card really is just looks cool. Nice pick up man!

yeah but people make these reprints today aged and creased. So you might be looking at a 2012 replica card that you're admiring at how old it 'looks'
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed, but I buy for profit and taking informed, calculated risks is where the most profit is gained. eBay covers up to $3,000 and has always remibursed me if an item was deemed unauthentic, so the only thing at risk is the grading fee of $20.

how much of a profit do you think you can get over the $2000 bid?
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #23 (permalink)

Very nice. Congrats on the pick up.

That particular card has a lot of history.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to atazmatic Send a message via Yahoo to atazmatic

if u dot mind me askin,how much u pay for it
atazmatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

No problem at all. I paid $2,000. Would hope to sell it for somewhere around $3,000-$3,500.