Blowout Cards Forums
Halloween

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Collect Raw vs Slabbed

Ok, just thought I'd bring up this discussion. First of all, I am a collector, who RARELY sells cards, and I collect cards not really worry about how much their worth.
I find for me (A Collector) enjoy vintage raw cards better, It is just a better feeling to be able to take the card out of the holder and hold the card, or viewing the cards when their raw. Even for vintage, I much rather prefer raw.
I could understand the slabbed cards from PSA, etc, to authenticate etc.
But for somebody strictly a collector, I just don't like slabbed cards, I think I bought 1 in my life and actually cracked it open.
To me if cards were to have value, it just doesn't seem to have value when it's sealed like that, almost it's like seeing your card in a display case that you can't open, or on a computer screen, I guess it's a little hard to explain,
maybe people that treat this as a fun hobby and solely a collector can understand.

The only advantage I see is to authenticate that card is indeed real, or a REALLY Expensive card, that actually is really worth over $10000, 1952 topps mantle etc..
I know this is above my price range, so it wouldnt really matter.... but I do have RC's of Ryan, R.Jackson, Winfield, Fisk, Munson, etc. which i know is not Really valuable money wise, but I guess I just want to collect what I want to collect
I am somewhat confident that when I carefully observe a card that I can tell if it's real or fake, plus like I said money value to me is not the most important thing.
Another thing to note is that it is technically possible that slabbed cards can be faked as well (with the case etc..)
cndbbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Agree. Cards look much uglier in slabs.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

I like them better raw for the most part as well. With the exception of a few cards, I mostly buy them raw. I do like the look of an entire set slabbed, but that is [1] expensive to do and [2] hard to put together as opposed to just buying lots of raw cards to make up your set.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

I lack the experience to discern some of the perfected tampering methods. Unless I trust the seller and his/her experience I prefer a graded vintage card, knowing that a trained eye has evaluated the card.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

i like the way cards look raw to. only grade if you want to resell
supercards2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
I like them better raw for the most part as well. With the exception of a few cards, I mostly buy them raw. I do like the look of an entire set slabbed, but that is [1] expensive to do and [2] hard to put together as opposed to just buying lots of raw cards to make up your set.
I agree as well. My '66 Topps set I am building raw, but the look of a smaller set slabbed displays well. I'm doing a 78 Topps Tigers Team Set in PSA 9 and 1953 Glendale Tigers PSA slabbed. There are some nice wall mounted display cases for graded cards to display them.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

I like both the look of the graded slab and the protection it offers.
StraightCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Personal choice. I have both and they seem to play well together in the storage box!
Hallco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

-If i buy online, i always buy graded. Mainly for authentication reasons as i cannot inspect the card. Normally i bust it out as soon as i get it.

Enjoy.

lobo_hacker, thinking of getting a roast beef sandwich for lunch
lobo_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

I like the look of the cards in PSA as well as there being more of a set condition on it compared to guessing. Hope to have my entire Willie Mays collection in PSA grade plus the added security of it being well protected, right now just these 4

duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

I collect both raw and PSA graded. For instance I collect Bob Gibson raw and PSA 7s for a collection I hope to one day complete. I really like the protection the slabs offer.
ETSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Always slabbed when it comes to vintage. There are way to many slimballs since the early 1980s that have done many things. Things that I would fight people (anyone) for doing things to cards that have screwed people over. You trimmers and alterers know who you are! May you die and spend the rest of your time with my sister in-law.

"You've gotta hold it in your lungs longer George"
lindeman79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #13 (permalink)

for vintage cards which value is under $100, I would likes to buy it raw, but if it was $100 up, I prefer buy in graded, especially if I got it from ebay or any other online stores just to ensure the authenticity.
arkania13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

I prefer graded. I feel that way you have a reputable opinion on what you are buying, and a good history of past prices for that condition. If I am investing money into older cards (I am collecting HOF RC's and Cubs HOFers, currently), I like to know what I am buying condition wise. Also if the need ever arises that would force me to part ways with all/part of the collection, the odds of getting my money back on graded cards are way way better than trying to recoup what you spent on a raw vintage single. Just my two cents, really just comes down to personal preference I guess.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

I look at it like this.... The card raw Is not going to get in any better shape or condition than it already is.... Thats the solemn reason i slab some cards that are a valuable, or be sentimental
Hous3r is offline   Reply With Quote