Blowout Cards Forums
Summer Sale

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default The "WTF were you thinking" thread

I loved my dad, but sometimes I don't have a clue what he was thinking. There must have been some logic in this, but boy I sure wish he hadn't. I have about 1500 cards ranging from 1960-1975 that he scribbled out people's names or marked them as Traded or something. He was such a collector that I find it hard to imagine he thought writing on a card was a good idea. Maybe people 50 years from now will watch video's of us burning boxes 1991 Fleer and wonder the same thing... NAH!

At any rate, I would love (and hate) to see what cards you have that make you say "WTF were you thinking". I know there's someone out there with a separated Bird/Irving/Johnson RC. I might even have one if I look hard enough. I was only 9 or 10 when those came out. And what else are you supposed to do with a perforated card?

So here's a few that are worth a little. Thankfully there were no Mantles or anything of that nature.

Old Nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

It gives them more personality.

http://s1103.photobucket.com/albums/g462/teosdesserts/
teosdesserts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Looks like your dad enjoyed his card collection. And that's what really counts.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Absolutely!! Besides coaching my little league teams, my fondest memories are of his love, and to some extent obsession, with cards.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have a freind that absolutely loves vintage cards that have been written on. Its funny to watch him scrutinize the card always making sure that the defacing is vintage as well.
If it looks like an adult did it later on he always passes. He says imagining some kid in the 1950's or 60's sitting on the steps with their buddies talking baseball and writing on cards or scratching guys faces off reminds him of his childhood. Hes an older guy that i met at my LCS and have become really good freinds with. One cool guy to talk shop with.
MJZak1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJZak1977 View Post
I have a freind that absolutely loves vintage cards that have been written on. Its funny to watch him scrutinize the card always making sure that the defacing is vintage as well.
If it looks like an adult did it later on he always passes. He says imagining some kid in the 1950's or 60's sitting on the steps with their buddies talking baseball and writing on cards or scratching guys faces off reminds him of his childhood. Hes an older guy that i met at my LCS and have become really good freinds with. One cool guy to talk shop with.
How interesting. These would have been done by an adult, but the 'defacing' is definitely from the same time as the cards. I'm not sure what he was doing, but a lot of them are cards that have more than 1 person on them for instance there will be 4 of the same card with a different person left alone on each card. Like that 63 Rookie Stars at the bottom. I almost feel he was doing a game or something, but what that game was I will never know. He used to keep stats in notebooks, it may have been related to that as well.

Thanks for sharing
Old 04-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Most of these cards ended up in bicycle spokes or worse. Be happy you have them and enjoy.
Kent Clements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

whats crazy is its not like he crossed out no-names, there were some big name players he crossed out
Old 04-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Clements View Post
Most of these cards ended up in bicycle spokes or worse. Be happy you have them and enjoy.
Believe me, I inherited some really good vintage as well. I'm not complaining necessarily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
whats crazy is its not like he crossed out no-names, there were some big name players he crossed out
Exactly, there could easily have been some rookies like Nolan Ryan or Pete Rose. Who knows he may have still been able to sell those?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Could he have been using them for a baseball game (like the pocket knife game my grandmother taught me when I was little)? You'd use your cards to set the lineups.

For the multi-player cards, you'd want to cross out the others so you'd know who the lineup spot was for.

Now, I did this with 1986 Topps, so it was a little different
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to lobo_hacker

-I used to cut out figures of super-heroes from my comic books. I would play with them on the kitchen table like action figures. We didn't have much money for gi joes or anything, so i just improvised.

As a kid, nothing is off-limits if you enjoy it. Now, if your dad marked all this up last week, you may need to take him to a doctor.

lobo_hacker, who always enjoys a stroll down memory lane
lobo_hacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Quoted for truth!!!
ManInTheMirror is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #13 (permalink)

I also think they are cool if done by him and his friends when he was young. I agree that they may have been playing some sort of game. Maybe they were team managers and writing another team on the card was a way of showing trades? Or maybe he just REALLY disliked several players at the time! Do you know if he had a favorite team as a kid? Thanks for sharing these!
Hallco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymcgee View Post
Could he have been using them for a baseball game (like the pocket knife game my grandmother taught me when I was little)? You'd use your cards to set the lineups.

For the multi-player cards, you'd want to cross out the others so you'd know who the lineup spot was for.

Now, I did this with 1986 Topps, so it was a little different
You are probably spot on. I was too young to see it in action. He quit doing it by the mid 70's when he probably realized it was a bad idea. The thing that we today can easily forget is packs back then were 5-10 cents. He probably had so many doubles it didn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo_hacker View Post
As a kid, nothing is off-limits if you enjoy it. Now, if your dad marked all this up last week, you may need to take him to a doctor.

lobo_hacker, who always enjoys a stroll down memory lane
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManInTheMirror View Post
Quoted for truth!!!
He did for a very long time. It also was a bit of an obsession. As we probably all can profess. Sadly he sold every set from 56-75 when times got tough in the early 2000's. He was never the same after that about it. I was not interested at the time either.

Any more stories?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallco View Post
I also think they are cool if done by him and his friends when he was young. I agree that they may have been playing some sort of game. Maybe they were team managers and writing another team on the card was a way of showing trades? Or maybe he just REALLY disliked several players at the time! Do you know if he had a favorite team as a kid? Thanks for sharing these!
He would have at least been in his 20's in the early 60's, so the kid part is definitely not the case. In the 60's I know he liked the Twins and the Orioles. He lived in St. Paul for a couple years and was at the World Series in 65 I believe. He new Dave McNally who pitched for the O's in the World Series that they won in the early 70's. He hated the Yankees, but loved Mantle.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
XL5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Nap View Post
I'm not sure what he was doing, but a lot of them are cards that have more than 1 person on them for instance there will be 4 of the same card with a different person left alone on each card. Like that 63 Rookie Stars at the bottom. I almost feel he was doing a game or something, but what that game was I will never know. He used to keep stats in notebooks, it may have been related to that as well.

Thanks for sharing
It looks like maybe he was making a card for each player. So he'd cross out 3 on one, a different 3 on the next, and so on. So then each player had their "own" card for the set. Probably made it easier if/when a player got traded if he kept them by team or something.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

I used to "rank" my cards by marking on the backs (the fronts were too hard to write on). This was based on which players had the best stats. However, once my collection grew to more than a couple hundred cards, this became too cumbersome. Though, every now and then I dig up one of those '80-'82 Topps and SMH.

Dang, I was such a nerd.

Auto accepting 20% off at COMC.
GoBeavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Every time I come across a card that has some type of writing on it, or maybe someone's own name written as proof of ownership, I can't help but to think "now that was someone who valued their cards!"
Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

I use to take my football cards and make complete teams for offense and defense. Then I would make plays up and run them for hours. I kept score and everything. My mom said she always knew I would get into coaching when she saw that.
bigdog2003 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog2003 View Post
I use to take my football cards and make complete teams for offense and defense. Then I would make plays up and run them for hours. I kept score and everything. My mom said she always knew I would get into coaching when she saw that.
So, did you? I would do something similar to that, but with my old wrestling cards.
centereacan06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

When I was but a wee lad in the early-mid 70's, I used to draw beards and mustaches on to alot of cards. Occasionally adding in little text bubbles like comic books.
Usually this was with players I disliked or were Mets rivals.
I also glued a bunch of em to a big piece of cardboard and threw darts at them.

I specifically remember drawing the "evil beard" and devil horns on to a Pete Rose card.
The text bubble was something like "NOOO not another dart, I will never hit Bud again!"

I threw all those out when Mom sold the house years ago and we had to hurry to clear the attic. I suppose i could be upset, but even the undefaced couldnt possibly have been in decent shape.

example

There was this one time I was on the can and ran out of tp.
Thankfully I had a John Milner Card in my pocket ...
He was a Met, but what was a boy to do ?
55 Orlando Hudson,150 Homer Bailey,191 Edinson Volquez, MHRC536 Mantle HR #536

Last edited by MetDude; 04-07-2013 at 11:37 PM.
MetDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #22 (permalink)

When I was a kid the UD stick um cards came out and we would stick them all over the school, lol poor janitor. WHo knows how many times he had to peel emmitt off a window.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetDude View Post
When I was but a wee lad in the early-mid 70's, I used to draw beards and mustaches on to alot of cards. Occasionally adding in little text bubbles like comic books.
Usually this was with players I disliked or were Mets rivals.
I also glued a bunch of em to a big piece of cardboard and threw darts at them.

I specifically remember drawing the "evil beard" and devil horns on to a Pete Rose card.
The text bubble was something like "NOOO not another dart, I will never hit Bud again!"

I threw all those out when Mom sold the house years ago and we had to hurry to clear the attic. I suppose i could be upset, but even the undefaced couldnt possibly have been in decent shape.

example

There was this one time I was on the can and ran out of tp.
Thankfully I had a John Milner Card in my pocket ...
He was a Met, but what was a boy to do ?
Ive actually thought of doing this with cards that arent from Topps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
When I was a kid the UD stick um cards came out and we would stick them all over the school, lol poor janitor. WHo knows how many times he had to peel emmitt off a window.
Thats funny! Poor Janitor and even Emmitt! He must be sore from being peeled off so much
ToppsCollector1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

I used to have my mom laminate my best cards because I thought they would be worth more that way. Oh to be young and stupid again.
ilovethelakings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

I found a few more I had put away in a different spot. You might have heard of some of these guys...