Blowout Cards Forums
Black Friday 2014

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1977 Topps Baseball

I bought 3 sets and a 3200 count box of singles to try and get a PSA graded set started.

Did Topps cut these cards with a chainsaw in '77? The cards are made out of tissue paper as it is, and then they cut them with a dull butter knife. Or maybe they just tore them somewhere near where it was supposed to be cut. These cards all looked very nice at a quick glance, pretty pack fresh. After looking at about 200 under magnification, not so good.

/end rant
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can't speak in so far as 1977 Topps in particular (though my general recollection is that is a condition sensitive set), but if it's just high grades you're concerned about, you may not need to worry. PSA seems to "make it up as they go along" with certain 1970's sets in terms of grading. I've frequently seen cards from the mid to late 1970's sets that would be lucky to get a 6 if they were a more modern card, in 8 or 9 PSA holders.

It's too bad SGC and BVG (for different reasons) get such a bum rap in the hobby. BVG cards almost always look better than a PSA graded card in the same grade and their holders are great for card protection, but they got a bad rap somewhere along the way for grading cards from uncut sheets among other things. SGC on the other hand is so far behind the value curve for just about anything but pre-war cards, you often have this vague fear of "why is this card still in a SGC holder?" anytime you see anything from the 50's onwards listed on Ebay.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

The paper stock of 1977 Topps was definitely weak in combination with some dull cutting knives there are multitudes of furry pack fresh cards.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1964, 1967-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yea, i have alot of 70's cards, really soft cardboard, much different than todays cards, and the centering is usually pretty bad too.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
Yea, i have alot of 70's cards, really soft cardboard, much different than todays cards, and the centering is usually pretty bad too.
Centering, print dots, fisheyes... the list goes on.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am of the belief that sans a couple of the slightly less condition sensitive sets, 1970's cards cardboard stock was so weak and printing issues were so poor that no matter what the grading companies try to sell us, there is simply no such things as truly "gem mint" copy of certain cards (at least that were cut by Topps in their given year and not off an uncut sheet years later). Worse, even the few that might have been out there are by and large banging around now in PSA holders from year to year getting more and more damage along the edges as time goes on.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

1977 Topps Baseball is a tough one, for sure.... But holy cow, good luck if you want to put together a nice 1977 O-PEE-CHEE baseball set. I love the OPC alternate photos, updated teams, autograph variations, etc., but what a tough set to find centered with nice edges!!!
commando is offline   Reply With Quote