Blowout Cards Forums
eBay Front Page (card ed)

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 741
Default tobacco cards

I'm looking into getting a few cards from this era but am skeptical on fakes. Could anyone give me some recommended dealers to look at. I'm not looking for anything high dollar, just looking to have some of these older cards in my collection. I like the history of them. Any help would be appreciated.
jubjub47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Jsims20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,714
Default

Always buy PSA graded. It makes buying these a whole lot easier.
__________________
Always looking for video games. (Nintendo, Playstation, Xbox)
Jsims20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsims20 View Post
Always buy PSA graded. It makes buying these a whole lot easier.
I've read a lot about these being faked and opened and the real cards replaced. Is this not as common as I've read?
jubjub47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
StraightCash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub47 View Post
I've read a lot about these being faked and opened and the real cards replaced. Is this not as common as I've read?
Stick to SGC not PSA. SGC is more consistent in my opinion and what you mentioned is one of the reasons I don't touch PSA.
StraightCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Jsims20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,714
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub47 View Post
I've read a lot about these being faked and opened and the real cards replaced. Is this not as common as I've read?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightCash View Post
Stick to SGC not PSA. SGC is more consistent in my opinion and what you mentioned is one of the reasons I don't touch PSA.
Really? I have never heard of that.

So they crack it without damaging the case to bad then putting a different card in there?
__________________
Always looking for video games. (Nintendo, Playstation, Xbox)
Jsims20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host
 
mgugs46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,319
Send a message via AIM to mgugs46
Default

Personally I like SGC for pre war cards, PSA for post war vintage, and BGS of course for modern.

I think you will be fine buying SGC or PSA from a reputable seller
__________________
Buying rare 90's inserts of Pedro Martinez, Nomar Garciaparra and other Red Sox/star players

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsims20 View Post
Really? I have never heard of that.

So they crack it without damaging the case to bad then putting a different card in there?
Some people just hate PSA. If you look at sales of SGC on eBay, they are lower than PSA. And most of the SGC listings say....SGC 96=PSA 9 or whatever. That's because people know that PSA is the higher selling grader.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
sthoemke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubjub47 View Post
I'm looking into getting a few cards from this era but am skeptical on fakes. Could anyone give me some recommended dealers to look at. I'm not looking for anything high dollar, just looking to have some of these older cards in my collection. I like the history of them. Any help would be appreciated.
What cards are you looking for information?

There are several quality guides for tobacco and trade cards. London's or Murray's card catalogues are good resources.
__________________
--------------------------------------
"They got non-smelly fish." - Pete Rose
--------------------------------------
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
StraightCash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Some people just hate PSA. If you look at sales of SGC on eBay, they are lower than PSA. And most of the SGC listings say....SGC 96=PSA 9 or whatever. That's because people know that PSA is the higher selling grader.
That has nothing to do with what I said. Not to mention, pre-war is pretty even between PSA and SGC.

Last edited by StraightCash; 04-30-2013 at 09:01 AM.
StraightCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
StraightCash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsims20 View Post
Really? I have never heard of that.

So they crack it without damaging the case to bad then putting a different card in there?
PSA cases are notoriously known as the easiest to open without damaging the case. BVG actually has the most tamper proof case. As long as its a reputable dealer, it's fine.
StraightCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
What cards are you looking for information?

There are several quality guides for tobacco and trade cards. London's or Murray's card catalogues are good resources.
I'm mainly interested in the 1909-1910 stuff, but just not sure who is reputable to buy from.
jubjub47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightCash View Post
PSA cases are notoriously known as the easiest to open without damaging the case. BVG actually has the most tamper proof case. As long as its a reputable dealer, it's fine.
This is exactly what I've heard as well.
jubjub47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,473
Default

actually a lot on ebay are real. I purchased one t206 that came out of a scrapbook. You can tell as well if the card is really dinged. If the paper feels right it is a t206 as well. It's simple things. Also your LCS might have some.
Brandon2598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
num1jrfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: jersey
Posts: 742
Default

i only have 1 t206 some mathewson guy
__________________
looking for Griffey 2013 PRIZM GOLD /10

GOLD
http://s226.beta.photobucket.com/user/num1jrfan/library/
num1jrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
sthoemke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,628
Default

If buying T206's, I'd stick to graded cards.

There are lots of reprints, but most ungraded cards listed are real and fakes are easy to spot. With graded cards you know what you are buying.
__________________
--------------------------------------
"They got non-smelly fish." - Pete Rose
--------------------------------------
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
Copyright 2013, Blowout Cards Inc.