Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to Vintage - any advice?

I decided to refocus my PC on Vintage graded PSA 7 or better. I have a fairly large current PC, but I'm getting bored with it, so decided to switch it up. I'm going to try for PSA 7 or better for HOFers from 50s, 60s, 70s. Was going to try to get Aaron, Mays, Mantle, Clemente, Rose, Maris, Kaline, and a few others from each set. Any advice? I'm new to Vintage. Would it make more sense to go for PSA 8? What are some things I should look for? I'm starting with 67 Topps Baseball.
rauchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Dont do psa or graded cards, takes away the point of collecting vintage.
Pending Deals:
Ivanrf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanrf1 View Post
Dont do psa or graded cards, takes away the point of collecting vintage.
Agree and disagree. I love being able to just pick up vintage commons and put them in binders and flip through and look at them all.

On the other hand - I'd be very leery of who I picked up raw HOF from - graded you know what you're getting and if you are so inclined you can crack out of the case.

Vintage psa 7 HOF will get expensive from 50's. As far as advice, I'd just say the norm - buy the card and not the grade.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
Agree and disagree. I love being able to just pick up vintage commons and put them in binders and flip through and look at them all.

On the other hand - I'd be very leery of who I picked up raw HOF from - graded you know what you're getting and if you are so inclined you can crack out of the case.

Vintage psa 7 HOF will get expensive from 50's. As far as advice, I'd just say the norm - buy the card and not the grade.
This is exactly my view point. But if i had like a very sharp pristine 1959 kaline i would grade it. If i had one with bad corners i would just put it in a toploader
Pending Deals:
Ivanrf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

That's my concern with buying non graded. I feel like there are too many issues with fakes and trimming. What's with this Mantle 67 red dot variation?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

There is no such a thing as a non graded NM or better CENTERED vintage HOF card on Ebay from the 50's or 60's. It's not 100% true, but it will save you far more times than it will hurt you. Also, even non stars and commons from the 50's in better than EX/M condition should be looked at with a degree of skepticism especially if they're being offered for sale by a dealer who has a healthy collection of other such level players graded for sale.

As far as 1967, be aware high graded Red Sox from that year are at a premium.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys. Thinking I'm going to stay with PSA 7 or better, at least for the 60s. Too many fakes out there to not go the graded route.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

I only collect graded vintage and 90 percent of those I have are SGC
dherm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dherm360 View Post
I only collect graded vintage and 90 percent of those I have are SGC
What's the difference between them and PSA?
Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

My first vintage pickup. Looking to add the Maris, Mantle, Aaron, Kaline, Rose, and Mays next.

Got it for $150, not sure if that's a good deal or not. Could have got the PSA 7 for $130, but spent the extra $20 for the 7.5

1967 Topps Roberto Clemente 400 PSA 7 5 | eBay
Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauchand View Post
What's the difference between them and PSA?
SGC's holders are much nicer, since the card is displayed against a black background, and SGC has a much better reputation than PSA.

PSA has engaged in all sorts of shenanigans, including, but not limited to, artificially boosting grades for high-volume submitters.
mfw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

I wouldn't go so far to say SGC has a better reputation. Here's the basic scoop as I see it on grading:

(1) PSA - Because it's the original big time grading company, it has a name value to it that people rely on to the detriment of the other two big grading companies (too much in my opinion at times). In terms of grading, I don't think it's any more reliable than any other grading company in terms of the grades it assigns, it's all over the map and their holders suck in terms of protecting the card, but they are considered better than at least Beckett at catching uncut sheet cards and trimmed cards (though I've had my doubts about this for a long time and wonder if this isn't PSA guys just promulgating a myth since they have so many PSA cards themselves). With that said there are plenty of PSA graded cards that don't belong in their holders in both directions.

(2) SGC - Where people send pre war cards as well as more modern "vintage" cards with noticeable centering and/or surface issues. SGC is as tough as anyone on corners and edges and more consistent with their overall grading IMHO, but they pretty much seem to ignore a lot of centering issues as well as print dots, etc. A lot of vintage cards that dealers think would get a O/C or PD qualifier at PSA are sent to SGC. IMHO they are the best overall at detecting alterations in terms of vintage and least subject to undue influence by higher volume submitters.

(3) BGS/BVG : In terms of vintage, they don't get a lot of credit, but the original reason is not what some would have you believe, i.e. that PSA is simply better, it's that they actually initially graded dealer's cards too tough, and dealers weren't going to have any of that!, so they've been shilling PSA ever since. Once BVG was invented, some of their tougher standards went away, and they have long been suspected of being the company most likely to grade older uncut sheet cards, but I don't know if it's been proven consistently. They are pretty tough on centering and surface as they don't have qualifiers, and I've never seen a BVG 7 or higher card I thought was ridiculously overgraded (unlike with PSA's crapshoot), but people have not seemed to buy into the idea that Beckett can accurately grade or vouch for the unaltered nature of vintage cards. If a big time dealer is selling a high end vintage card in a BVG holder there is a reason, given the price differentials realized vs. PSA, it's just not always clear to me what that is.
bullingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

I agree with mfw13, the sgc holders look much nicer than the psa holders.
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote