Blowout Cards Forums
Blaster Master

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Old Nap's Recap from the 41st Annual Washington State Sports Collectors Convention

I went to this expecting the usual fare. It wasn't a gigantic show as some of you are probably used to. It is in a grade school cafeteria if that gives you an idea. I was a little surprised to have to pay to get in when the normal monthly show is free. I was actually very surprised to see almost every table be mostly vintage stuff. Contrary to what some others that went are saying it was not ALL crotchety old men. Maybe 75% . I had some good conversations with people my age (early 40's) that collected the same time I did. I met a guy (again, around my age) that collects nothing but tobacco cards. He actually had a vintage Nap Lajoie card from his PC that he let me look at. AND the guy at the table next to him had a T206. That was the first time I have actually got to hold one. Sadly it was way more money than I could spend. There were soooo many things I would/could/should have bought that it's driving me nuts. In hindsight I should have bought a few vintage cards instead of the box of Topps Archives which I'll post in the breaks section later.

The one vintage card I did pick up was this 62 Hank Aaron. The guy had acquired it with a number of other Aaron autographs in a huge collection he purchased. From what he said he sent them into PSA and they came back as not authentic. So the assumption is they are "clubhouse autos" which I had not heard of before. Makes total sense though. Just like movie stars of the day, stars would have other people sign things for them since they had so many requests. The reasons I decided to spend any money at all on it is it was it's a 62 Aaron which is in the top 3 of my favorite vintage sets, it makes a neat conversation piece for the card shelf, and it was cheap (only 10 bucks) which given the condition including the fake auto is probably all it's worth.

Old Nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nice card. The auto is probably real, but just not consistent enough with his typical auto for PSA to confirm its authenticity. Both strokes trail off nicely and consistently which is one of the tough things to fake.
sthoemke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sthoemke View Post
Nice card. The auto is probably real, but just not consistent enough with his typical auto for PSA to confirm its authenticity. Both strokes trail off nicely and consistently which is one of the tough things to fake.
i disagree. i think its a clubhouse auto. not consistant with his autograph in that era

Also looking for Emma Watson and Kat Dennings
dashcounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, that's where I'm at. There were a couple other cards signed as well, all with the same auto. A 1970 and 76. So I imagine they were signed in the late 70's?
Old Nap is offline   Reply With Quote