Blowout Cards Forums
Email Signup

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to Vintage

I want to start collecting more vintage. What should I look for and how should I get started? Thanks for any help!

http://sportscardalbum.com/u/illini99
Illini99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well what are you trying to collect? A certain player, team, hall of famers, etc? With vintage it all depends on condition. If a card "books" for $10, you should only pay $10 if that card is pack fresh. If it has light touches on the corners, pay $5-6 for it. If there is a crease, you should pay no more than $2-3.

If you go to a show, dealers will often have signs that say 50% off to make you think you are getting a deal. They will have a Mantle card priced at $600 (full book value), so it would only cost you $300. But typically the card is not truly worth $600 based on its condition. It is usually a card with some corner wear which makes it only worth $275-350. So you really aren't saving 50%. You are just paying what the card is actually worth in that condition.

Hopefully that helps.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
Well what are you trying to collect? A certain player, team, hall of famers, etc? With vintage it all depends on condition. If a card "books" for $10, you should only pay $10 if that card is pack fresh. If it has light touches on the corners, pay $5-6 for it. If there is a crease, you should pay no more than $2-3.

If you go to a show, dealers will often have signs that say 50% off to make you think you are getting a deal. They will have a Mantle card priced at $600 (full book value), so it would only cost you $300. But typically the card is not truly worth $600 based on its condition. It is usually a card with some corner wear which makes it only worth $275-350. So you really aren't saving 50%. You are just paying what the card is actually worth in that condition.

Hopefully that helps.
Thanks. I wouldn't have thought about the 50% off thing.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

If you are buying graded - buy the card, not the grade - IMO there are loads of PSA 4 cards that look nicer than PSA 6 for example.

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgugs46 View Post
If you are buying graded - buy the card, not the grade - IMO there are loads of PSA 4 cards that look nicer than PSA 6 for example.
I agree with this! ^^^^^^ Figure out if you are collecting primarily for your own personal enjoyment interests or for future selling potential. For example, you may want to collect a certain player that you like(say....Ernie Banks just as an example). You can build a great looking collection of several of his cards in collectors mid grades (Ex-NM or so) close to what you would pay for only 1 or 2 Hank Aaron or Mickey Mantle cards in lower conditions. It's all about what you want to do. Do some research before you start spending a bunch of money on vintage. And although there are times you can find fantastic deals on vintage...most of the time, if a card is being offered for a larger discount that what that card is selling for currently....there is probably a reason why the person is trying to get rid of it! Good luck!
Hallco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I've only really dealt with modern cards, but want to start a vintage collection.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
A PSA 4 may look nicer, but there is a small crease somewhere on that card.
jr24ai3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

I agree, with vintage cards that you should buy the card and not the holder if it is graded. I would take a perfectly centered PSA 4 any day over a razor sharp PSA 7 that is off centered or miscut. Just pick a set or player or team you wish to collect and stick with it. It can be very enjoyable and you don't have to rush it. Some lower grade vintage hall of famers and stars are actually quite affordable depending on your budget. Good luck!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help!

Old 07-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

just enjoy them visually rather than financially and vintage will be very rewarding. i.e. buy cheap ungraded cards and put them in a binder and you will have pages and pages of baseball history art to enjoy. build a set from a few lots of commons and then enjoy chasing the tougher cards one at a time. by the time you complete a set that way, you will have a great view of baseball circa that year.

figure out which design appeals to you the most and start with that one. some people like colorful cards. some people like dark border cards. some people like white cards.

there are other visual memorabilia items to collect, like annual Team yearbooks that are enjoyable to look at without getting all hung up on whether there is a 1/16" crease in the border of the card that you can't even see.

or treat them as conditionally valuable financial instruments and get frustrated and stress by ROI of a 'hobby'. in other words, understand your personal definition of the verb "collect" before you start.
base set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

I'm also a newbie in vintage cards, my question is are there any fakes regarding vintage cards? Which ones are the most counterfeited? And how can you tell the difference? Thanks in advance.
eBay sellers beware, I will leave you a neutral if you don't at least include a toploader when shipping a card. Feel free to block me if you don't ship with a toploader or secured card holder. That is all.
High-End Bucket: http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m627/AvenOZ/High-End%20and%20HTG/
CP3toOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP3toOKC View Post
I'm also a newbie in vintage cards, my question is are there any fakes regarding vintage cards? Which ones are the most counterfeited? And how can you tell the difference? Thanks in advance.
Same question and is it just high end cards that are faked?

Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini99 View Post
Same question and is it just high end cards that are faked?
I would say that would make sense, as the high dollar ones, are the ones that are going to be faked, and people that do fake them would make money.... For instance a 1953 Willie Mays would likely be faked more than a 1956 Windy McCall etc etc.

With the previous question, I am someone of a noob, but I know two vintage cards that come to mind that are known to being faked are the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle and 1963 Topps Pete Rose.
In other sports, the 79-80 OPC Gretzky, and 85-86 OPC Lemieux, that are about a handful of others that rank up at the top of the list for counterfeits.
cndbbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

Stick with PSA graded cards to as they will hold more value in Vintage. I'm sending in a 100 card sub this week of Vintage to PSA, no big name, mostly subbing Low Population card for the registry. It's amazing a low pop common graded PSA 9 or 10 will sell as much as a nice Star graded, to a registry guy
Supercollecting Dillon Overton
Mrpokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr24ai3 View Post
A PSA 4 may look nicer, but there is a small crease somewhere on that card.
and to some of that is ok! I'm building a 53 Glendale Tigers set. There are very tough and pricey but my personal appeal is whiteness. I'll take a whiter card with creases or staple holes(not uncommon for these) or rounded corners over a "better" condition card that is grayer looking. The great thing about collecting is we can get what we like.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #16 (permalink)

Also new to vintage collecting. I want to piggy back on what was mentioned above about fake cards. How do you tell the difference? Is it safer to stick to buying graded only? I want to get Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Dimaggio,and some football Vintage but i just dont know how to tell the Fakes. I try to look around the web but can never come up with a real answer but more of how they are faked and all that. Thanks.
usaf010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf010 View Post
Also new to vintage collecting. I want to piggy back on what was mentioned above about fake cards. How do you tell the difference? Is it safer to stick to buying graded only? I want to get Mickey Mantle, Babe Ruth, Dimaggio,and some football Vintage but i just dont know how to tell the Fakes. I try to look around the web but can never come up with a real answer but more of how they are faked and all that. Thanks.
If you're buying off ebay, buy from reputable dealers. Since there probably aren't too many card shows where you are you can't handle commons. But next time you are at a card show/store, look at similar cards. You get a feel for the stock and print quality and type fonts, etc. Graded is always good to be sure though. Thank you as well for your service!
Old 07-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
^^^^^ I agree here. This is how I shop for my vintage purchases.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmrson View Post
If you're buying off ebay, buy from reputable dealers. Since there probably aren't too many card shows where you are you can't handle commons. But next time you are at a card show/store, look at similar cards. You get a feel for the stock and print quality and type fonts, etc. Graded is always good to be sure though. Thank you as well for your service!
Thanks for the Tip. I really want to start my vintage collection as its at a 0 right now. Your thanks for my service is much appricated also!

P.S If anyone has some Vintage cards there willing to move please let me know, looking to get the baseball vintage rolling ASAP!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the Tip. I really want to start my vintage collection as its at a 0 right now. Your thanks for my service is much appricated also!

P.S If anyone has some Vintage cards there willing to move please let me know, looking to get the baseball vintage rolling ASAP!
What are you looking for...specific Team?, player?, year?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc21 View Post
What are you looking for...specific Team?, player?, year?
well of course i wold love a Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio. Some of the greats. Vintage cards that would make the center piece of my Card collection. Obviously this does come at a price as i know they dont come cheap but im really looking for the big names. And also other well known names.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:14 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
well of course i wold love a Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio. Some of the greats. Vintage cards that would make the center piece of my Card collection. Obviously this does come at a price as i know they dont come cheap but im really looking for the big names. And also other well known names.
Do you have a budget in mind?
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Do you have a budget in mind?
After seeing what some of the Big name cards i want im just going to go with the flow and if i have the funds il go for it. If deals come along at the right time ill snatch them up. So to answer the question i guess i dont but nothing to high at the moment.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #24 (permalink)

Default Buying vintage

Here is how I collect vintage. I am on a really tight budget but have great cards of J. Robinson, Mantle, Clemente, and Ted Williams.

1) I focus on stars and hall of famers from the 1950s through early 1970s.
2) I mostly buy cards in lower grade condition, like vg plus or vg-ex condition. They still look great and often half the price of ex condition cards.
3) I find good, honest sellers on online forums or Ebay and stick with them.
4) If I buy graded cards, I mostly buy cards graded by Beckett or SGC. I have gotten terrific deals. These go in my personal collection and don't care about resale value!
needmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:06 AM   #25 (permalink)

Are prices at the National reasonable?