Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is it hard to profit off of old rookie cards???

Example: Buying a old(1980s) desirable rookie card on ebay and getting it graded after you examine it yourself.
49ers1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

If it was easy many people would be doing the same thing.

1980's Football is not as easy to get PSA 9 or better. If you don't get at least a PSA 9 you will lose a lot of money.
Concentrating on my personal collection. Please drop me a PM if you have any of the following for sale: Topps Football 1956-1959; 1961-1968; Philadelphia Football 1964-1967, Autographs of Baseball/Football Vintage Stars and Hall of Famers (especially on card autos), 1990's Topps Chrome Refractor Inserts of all sports.
37Jetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Jetson View Post
If it was easy many people would be doing the same thing.

1980's Football is not as easy to get PSA 9 or better. If you don't get at least a PSA 9 you will lose a lot of money.
Interesting, thanks. I would think this would be due to supply, which probably ramped up steadily through the 80s along with baseball cards.

Nice avatar!
base set is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by base set View Post
Interesting, thanks. I would think this would be due to supply, which probably ramped up steadily through the 80s along with baseball cards.

Nice avatar!
Not the supply that makes getting a good grade hard, it the fact that 70s-80's cards were poorly made, especially when it come to centering. They were made with softer cardeboard which means easily dinged corners
Old 09-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

You might also consider looking for a good price on a card already graded and then flipping it.

When buying a raw card, you can't always expect the grade to think you might be getting.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Unless you're getting gem mint grades, cards from the 80's are near worthless in 9. The only exception is the minor league / regional issued cards that are scarce.
sportzking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just sold a 1985 Roger clemens raw that was Gem mint. Went for .99 on ebay. Reason being if it gets a 9 it isnt worth a lot and if it gets an 8 it wont get dick. I am learning that there is little to no value in non vintage rookie base cards after 1982. Even Now you can get Ripken Rookies raw for $10 or less, and they were going for 75-80 raw several years ago. Just looked and a psa 9 Clemens goes for $10. Generally the fee to grade and ship is more than this. If you end up with a 10 Great! But if you end up with a bunch of 8's and 9's youll lose your butt.

Last edited by callou2131; 09-12-2013 at 01:41 PM.
callou2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Buy a card already graded. To many scumbags doctor cards and so on. It is hard to trust. Even if it isn't that seller, he or she might not know they have a trimmed card. So, buy graded.

Real friends don't let friends buy retail.
lindeman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I actually think there is much more profit to be made dealing in vintage rookies than in modern prospects with far less variance. Will you ever be able to buy something for $10 and sell it for $500? No. But, when done correctly, vintage cards are very solid investments. In my opinion, it's exactly because there are so many cards in the market.

Because there are so many auctions for a given card, it is easy to find them underpriced. I don't sell anymore, I just collect but 5 or 6 years ago I would keep a database of sales over the course of the year of maybe 100 key vintage cards. I would track each card, whether it was a BIN or an auction, and, most importantly, the grade (I only bought graded cards). It's some work but making money is not easy. At least once a week I could find one of the cards from my list significantly underpriced.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

I suggest becoming an "expert" on pricing of maybe 3 cards to start and be patients. Set up alerts on those cards so you get emails when they pop up.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #11 (permalink)

If you do profit from it, you'll only get like $2. But I'd buy a ripken rookie for $5 just to have in my PC.
Tzvih123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think of vintage cards as low risk/ low gain investments. you will rarely lose money but it may take a while to make any real money. While modern prospects and such relate to the quick profit investments. These can make you alot of money fast, but you can also lose a lot of money fast.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Location: From Boston but married southern bell so I'm stuck in Nashville

ive been able to flip a bunch of vintage in the last year. one thing i have found that works is buying "mid" grade looking raw cards from ebay for good prices and selling at a good local show. there are a lot of older guys who love vintage and refuse to use ebay to buy. they go almost completely off book value and usually will pay 20-40% depending on the star and condition. and since beckett values are so out of whack it usually works well. especially with mantles. the book values are crazy high and you can almost always find them for cheap on ebay.
but with 80's stuff like the posts above unless you are getting a gem mint grade you will rarely make money with the cost of grading
feel free to PM me if selling
Mikegioseffi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

I have done that too, buy mid grade stars andd rookies from the 50s and 60s and put them in an Antique mall booth for a little less than book.
shrevecity is online now   Reply With Quote