Blowout Cards Forums
Sean Bassik

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #26 (permalink)

We now have a winner, pretty much all around ^^^
AndyE89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

I am glad they upgraded their cases. It is the only logical thing to do, that is if you want to stay on top. The upgrade was also not a drastic change that would affect the value of the "older" holders. Sounds good to me.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #28 (permalink)

If I am correct and not seeing things, their old slabs used to be of pretty good quality. It was more recently that they seemed to have changed. I noticed a flimsy-er feeling to them. Almost like they changed the plastic. Either way I am happy they are going with more rigid and better sealing slabs. Hopefully will give better aesthetics as well.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #29 (permalink)

"PSA - Only reason why they get good prices is because of the registry. They were the first, so they have compiled the most customers."

I never understood why people repeat this so much. Yes, PSA has been around longer, but not much. Didn't they start 1998 and the other two 2000? So how is a 15 year old company a vet, and 13-year old companies the young guys?

All three have a registry.
MeteoriteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinpains View Post
sgc and bgs have great holders and fast service.

PSA - Only reason why they get good prices is because of the registry. They were the first, so they have compiled the most customers.

PSA- Holders are cheap garbage
Poor service -could be 2 months until you get your cards back.
Up front fee of $100 just to have the option of getting a card graded.
Another $100 fee after a year and every year after.
crack and re-submit fraudulent company. They want you to send the same card in 2-3 times before it finally lands in one of their junk holders. More $ in their pocket and less in yours.

Why people still continue to give them business is beyond me. I learnt my lesson years ago. SGC or BGS is the way to go.

Its all about personal collector preference. I, for one, really only care to pick up vintage cards graded by PSA (except for the rare pre-1948 which I go SGC). I absolutely love the look and the lightness of the PSA case over other, think BGS is way too bulky of a case for my liking. My PSA cases have never had any issue with breaking or cracking or anything else so not really sure what you're doing to yours in order to say that they are garbage
duwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #31 (permalink)

When it comes to low value cards PSA and SGC are fairly even. In higher grades on broadly collected registries PSA commands a superior price. SGC has a better look and typically more value for pre-war than PSA. Beckett really isn't a contender and I do not think they want to be, they are #1 for modern and should remain that way as long as they don't mess something up.
Sean1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoriteGuy View Post
"PSA - Only reason why they get good prices is because of the registry. They were the first, so they have compiled the most customers."

I never understood why people repeat this so much. Yes, PSA has been around longer, but not much. Didn't they start 1998 and the other two 2000? So how is a 15 year old company a vet, and 13-year old companies the young guys?

All three have a registry.
PSA started in 1991.
aliceinpains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinpains View Post
PSA started in 1991.
Okay, but still, 14 (not 13) year old companies are hardly new guys. At what point are they no longer rcs?
MeteoriteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #34 (permalink)

With any grading company, in any collectible market, EVERYTHING is subjective.

Just as well, even the grades can be considered subjective.

PSA has built a reputation because it is consistent, and can gain solid ground on registry sets based on that fact alone. They have however, cut many corners with their service.

SGC is knowledgeable and has great grading practices, but has shown many inconsistencies throughtout its time. They also have an excellent service with them. There reputation has been gaining a lot of ground.

BGS Has excellent reputation, well known in terms of valuation. Mainly for modern era cards. Great service, with good grading practices. However, they have many inconsistencies and many are evident throughout the marketplace.

You have pros, and cons with ANY company. No matter how long they have been around. These are the 3 big dogs in the sports card grading business today. Possibly the only 3 we will ever have. It is still all subjective. There are known downfalls with all 3, and known positive outcomes as well.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #35 (permalink)

I'm a big fan of SGC but if you're going to sell the card I think buyers would lean more towards it being PSA graded.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #36 (permalink)

PSA does have good rates if you're a member, and the turnaround you can wait forever sometimes. I have found that if you send smaller orders ( 25-40 cards) the turnaround can be a few weeks. What is brutal though is if you email them or call them with any concerns they can take forever to get back to you.
adkos9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #37 (permalink)

For vintage I like SGC. They look really good in that holder, they custom the inserts to fit all the non standard sized vintage cards like Num Nums, exhibits etc. and right now they have a GREAT special going on for lesser vintage cards. December Grading Specials
20-Day Special:
$5 per card valued at $100 or less. 20 bus. day turnaround time.

I am going to be sending a bunch. You just cant beat that.
callou2131 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #38 (permalink)

psa for sure
patsfan52 is online now   Reply With Quote