Blowout Cards Forums
Advertise On Forum

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default PSA or SGC?

I have a '51 Bowman Ted Williams that I would like to have graded. I've used BVG in the past but was not impressed, so I'm thinking of sending it to PSA or SGC? Any preference?
del033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

SGC or BVG would be my choice.
aliceinpains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Texans81 Send a message via Yahoo to Texans81

I'm not a fan of BVG either, I think Beckett is more for modern stuff. Between the other two, I think value wise it's about a wash...both are well recognized. I personally like the eye appeal of the SGC slabs better. So for my $0.02 I'd go with SGC.
Texans81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have all of my personal collection, which I send in for grading, done by SGC. I think both SGC and BVG are very good and PSA is decent. To me SGC has the best looking holders.

www.luckeycards.com
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I like SGC's slabs too. The black matting/framing really makes the colors on the old cards pop. It puts the attention on where it should be, the subject, which is the card.
PC Items wanted: 1988 Topps Tiffany Mark Grace PSA 10 & 2012 Mike Heath Leaf Memories #3/5
ElonU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

No doubt SGC holders are the most attractive. BVG holders are made the best.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

I collect pre World War I, but only send my cards to SGC. I like their consistency and customer service. I own PSA, see avatar, but prefer SGC.
geor952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I like sgc holders

But love or hate them

psa is king

MUSEUM COLLECTION FRAME METAL
STAN MUSIAL AUTOGRAPH
kyle1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1707 View Post
I like sgc holders

But love or hate them

psa is king
King based on what? Their holders are garbage.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

I'm also a fan of SGC
dherm360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Pre war sgc, post war psa, modern bgs

** Looking for 1953 Bowman Color PSA 5 or better cards **
Whodey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Great feedback - thanks, everyone.
del033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

I love PSA for resale value, but I am scared to buy any of their cards on the secondary market because of the potential for fakes....

Looks wise it's BVG
blackbears86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

I am not a fan of PSA as a company and I think they have by far the worst holder of all three major grading companies.

That said, if you are looking to resell at any time, they are the cards that fetch the highest price in open auction.

I always say, buy the card, not the flip. I tend to hunt down the best looking card I can find in the best grade I can afford for my vintage, either PSA or SGC. Often times you can find a nicer SGC example for a lower price than the PSA counterpart. When that is the case that is the way I go.
GC1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

I've been getting a lot of cards graded recently and have had some interesting experiences with each company.

BVG/BGS - I think they are the best for modern cards, From the 1993 SP Jeter and on. They are a bit different in terms of grading as they display the subgrades for each card. I like that they give the transparency of the grades so you can judge how they did. This also allows you to educate yourself on grading and give you an edge on how to judge new cards.

PSA - They are definitely the best in terms of resale, and they are the largest player in the grading market. However, they have the worst customer service and they charge the most for each card. Their prices are a lot more.... almost 5-15 dollars per card depending on the level of each service you want. However, if you have a marquee card, I still think that it's worth getting it done by PSA only because the resale value will be higher and less volitile with it.

SGC - I live on the East coast, so dealing with this company is very easy. They are easy to work with and their turnaround times are much better than PSA. They are also very affordable at only $7 a card with their monthly special. I like the black matte border.

Overall, if you have a super high grade vintage card, I think you should go with PSA. If your 1951 Ted Williams is a solid grade and you plan on keeping it, I would go with SGC.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodey14 View Post
Pre war sgc, post war psa, modern bgs
+1"..............
Old 11-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

sgc and bgs have great holders and fast service.

PSA - Only reason why they get good prices is because of the registry. They were the first, so they have compiled the most customers.

PSA- Holders are cheap garbage
Poor service -could be 2 months until you get your cards back.
Up front fee of $100 just to have the option of getting a card graded.
Another $100 fee after a year and every year after.
crack and re-submit fraudulent company. They want you to send the same card in 2-3 times before it finally lands in one of their junk holders. More $ in their pocket and less in yours.

Why people still continue to give them business is beyond me. I learnt my lesson years ago. SGC or BGS is the way to go.

Last edited by aliceinpains; 11-09-2013 at 01:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceinpains View Post
sgc and bgs have great holders and fast service.

PSA - Only reason why they get good prices is because of the registry. They were the first, so they have compiled the most customers.

PSA- Holders are cheap garbage
Poor service -could be 2 months until you get your cards back.
Up front fee of $100 just to have the option of getting a card graded.
Another $100 fee after a year and every year after.
crack and re-submit fraudulent company. They want you to send the same card in 2-3 times before it finally lands in one of their junk holders. More $ in their pocket and less in yours.

Why people still continue to give them business is beyond me. I learnt my lesson years ago. SGC or BGS is the way to go.
Just because their holders are thinner does not make them "Junk". People would not spend literally millions of dollars on cards that were graded by a "junk" company. PSA is the cheapest company in regards to price, it does take longer to get your cards back just because everyone uses them and they a get a lot of business. When you pay the $100.00 to become a member, you get access to grading specials and you get free grades and a subscription to their magazine. At the end of the day you get your money back. the free grades you get are a 7 day turnaround, you know how much BGS charges to get 6 cards graded at a 7 day turnaround? the closest they have is a 5 day grade at a whoping $25.00 a card, that's $150.00 compared to PSA's membership fee of $100.00 and the 6 free submissions. So....ya.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjim8660 View Post
it does take longer to get your cards back just because everyone uses them and they a get a lot of business.
I'm sorry, but this is no excuse for poor service. If i walk into a fast food place and have to wait an hour to get a cheeseburger("because everyone else is using them"), they wont be in business very long.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Psa does have the absolutely worst service. I have 40 cards currently with them for their monthly special and it's only been... 55 days. They were submitted at a card show on 8/21 and was logged into their system on 8/28 and when I call the lady said it could take up to another month. Absolutely terrible service. So when they say 45 days, it really does not mean anything.

Sgc on the other hand has great customer service and they always finish their orders when they expect to,
Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustcardboar View Post
Psa does have the absolutely worst service. I have 40 cards currently with them for their monthly special and it's only been... 55 days. They were submitted at a card show on 8/21 and was logged into their system on 8/28 and when I call the lady said it could take up to another month. Absolutely terrible service. So when they say 45 days, it really does not mean anything.

Sgc on the other hand has great customer service and they always finish their orders when they expect to,
That is a downside to PSA, I agree I have submitted lots of cards to them and sometimes you get them back on time and sometimes its way past the time frame. Hopefully you get your grades back soon and you do good on them.
sjim8660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustcardboar View Post

That is horrible. There have been times i have sent cards to SGC, and got them back 7 days later. I would not tolerate a 2 month wait.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #23 (permalink)

I would have to say for resale value, PSA will trump SGC.

PSA has the reputation built up as an authority in vintage grading.

Personally, I prefer SGC, but when it comes to the overall investment, I would have to say PSA.

I know PSA has changed their slabs numerous times, and each time it is done to cut costs. I do not agree with their cheap slabs, but I do understand why the change had occured.

In short, the market seems to like PSA better, but SGC is much more quality for Personal collections.

I also think SGC will eventually surpass PSA in the grading field for ALL vintage. They already have gone outside of the standard card market in their grading. It is only a matter of time before they begin to gain more popularity and trust from collectors.
AndyE89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #24 (permalink)
Approved Group Break Host

Send a message via AIM to mgugs46

I like SGC's case better, but PSA will outsell any post war vintage card IMO

Simple solution - sell it to me

Always looking for PEDRO MARTINEZ patches/autos
mgugs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #25 (permalink)

PSA announced today they have upgraded the security of there slabs, and modified them sufficiently that certain oversized card won't go straight into a pack slab. The new slabs now are similarly sealed to BGS; Top over bottom instead of sandwiched and, these new slabs stack neatly with the old slabs.
PSA Introduces Safety and Security Improvements to Its Holders
alifaxwa2 is offline   Reply With Quote