Blowout Cards Forums
This Just In

Go Back   Blowout Cards Forums > BLOWOUTS HOBBY TALK > VINTAGE

VINTAGE Post your Vintage Cards Hobby Talk (pre-1980's)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default eBay Vintage Card Sales: Branding

I have noticed a few sellers on eBay essentially "branding" their cards by making sure to include their names in the auction titles. Not referring to the PWCC or Probstein auctions either. I see that Mike Denero and Deans Cards do this. I also noticed that their cards are typically listed for much higher prices than they should go for. Does anyone get some idea in their head that "sh*t, my man Dean owned this, gotta have it"?

The prices that Deans Cards are listed at are way too high, typically well into what the next grade or two will get you (I see a lot of graded auctions from them). Do you think this works for them as far as a selling strategy? I can't see anyone with knowledge of vintage cards making a purchase, but to someone just getting into the hobby? I just don't get it.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have a feeling a lot of cards are seen on ebay and then sold privately off ebay, thereby avoiding fees. I could be wrong but that is a thought...
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have a feeling a lot of cards are seen on ebay and then sold privately off ebay, thereby avoiding fees. I could be wrong but that is a thought...
No doubt this goes on ALOT.
aliceinpains is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
When I list cards on ebay that is actually my end goal, sell as many off ebay as possible using ebay to "advertise" them.
itradeerrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Even if there are other cheaper options immediately available to a potential buyer? If I am looking for say (random card) a 1962 Mantle graded a 7, and I see three available, all centered the good, why would I try and bargain a seller down off of Ebay who has their card for the price an 8 would go for, as opposed to two other cheaper options?

Though I don't disagree that selling off of Ebay does occur (guilty right here), logical thinking would make me not even inquire about the card that the seller with the highest asking price has available.

Has anyone ever dealt with Mikedenero cards or Deans Cards and offline sales? You can PM me on this if you feel the need to be discreet. I am just trying to understand their logic behind such high listings and my theory on "branding".
Old 11-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know Deans cards too well though I think he posts on another message board I frequent. I do know Mike Denaro and he and his company are fine to deal with, if that is the question? Mike really has a knack for having nice-for-the-grade cards too.

BTW, I have heard Deans has quite high prices but on cards I am familiar with Mike Denaro is very competitive. I have no affiliation with Denaro but look at his cards on ebay often. He also painted a really cool painting for me a few years ago which I still have on my desk.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Mike Denero does have some cards at competitive prices, he also has some over priced. I wonder if he maybe bumps up some that he has the best looking card? I haven't looked that far into it.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I personally can't stand how these two put is all over their auctions. PWCC or Probstein; branded all over the place. And I notice their auction go for more than most. This is just my opinion so please leave the snarky comment to yourself, thanks.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindeman79 View Post
I personally can't stand how these two put is all over their auctions. PWCC or Probstein; branded all over the place. And I notice their auction go for more than most. This is just my opinion so please leave the snarky comment to yourself, thanks.
Well those two do it for different reasons as they are advertising a service, so it's different than what the other two are doing.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

I feel it comes down to trust.

I'm not familiar with Mike, but Dean has been around a long time. Even written books about cards.

When you are buying on EBay, you don't really know the person selling or their product. But, if you have purchased from Dean, and I assume Mike, you have a better idea of what to expect of your purchases.

You can even go to Dean's website and watch the training video for his employees on grading.

Like I said, I think it comes down to trust. Some people are willing to pay a bit more for the piece of mind.
greentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #11 (permalink)

As big sellers, PWCC and Probstein probably have a lot of repeat customers, so it's an easy was for buyers to find their listing, or at least have the auctions stand out when people do searches.